Restore backup image to new computer?

limitup

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
I'm looking at picking up a new rig, but I'm dreading the thought of starting from scratch and re-installing everything, etc. Then I had an idea which never occurred to me until now ...

I'm currently using True Image to make a nightly backup of my C drive. Would there be anything wrong with getting the new computer, networking them together, and then just restoring my True Image backup image to the new computer?

If that's not the way to do it, what is the recommended way to make an exact copy of my existing drive to the new computer?

I know a lot of people probably look forward to starting from scratch with a "clean" system, and you wouldn't want to do this in a lot of cases, but my current system is also very "clean" and it's exactly how I want/need it. It would take me probably 20-30 hours to get the new computer setup exactly how I want it, so unless there's something wrong with my idea this sounds like the best way to go.

The only difference with the new system is that it will have a RAID 1 setup, but I don't think that should matter. The system sees it as a single drive and I assume I could restore to the RAID 1 the same as a single drive, right?

Acronis also has something called Migrate Easy, which sounds like it would achieve the same thing. But it seems like it be even easier/safer to just restore a 2-minute old backup which should theoretically give me exactly what I have now, on my new computer.

_path_finder

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
I'm currently using True Image to make a nightly backup of my C drive. Would there be anything wrong with getting the new computer, networking them together, and then just restoring my True Image backup image to the new computer?

You can restore an image of one computer to another computer but note that both machines should have an identical interface. Also it is not necessary to set the network between these two machines, you may just restore an image of the first machine from the bootable media to the second machine.

If you're restoring an image, it won't work. The image doesn't contain the necessary raid drivers to properly see the array on boot. Not to mention that the chipset drivers will most likely be different. You might nbe able to restore to a non-raided boot disk and get it to boot, but then you'll still need appropriate chipset drivers.

firemist

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Expect problems.

If you put your old PC disk image on the new PC you are putting all of the old drivers (MB chipset, video, etc) and the old PC does not have the RAID drivers you will need to boot the new system. If you have an OEM license for Window you will also have issues with activating the OS.

Just google 'microsoft changing motherboard' to get a preview of what lies ahead if you proceed on this path.

limitup

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
Thanks for the replies. As far as the RAID drivers wouldn't you just do an F6 driver install of the VIA SATA drivers?

Hmm. Ok so if this isn't a good idea, what is the recommended way to transfer everything to a new drive/computer? Surely there has to be some alternative to starting from scractch and reinstalling everything, customizing every programs settings, etc. etc.??

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
You can follow the guide at the top of the forum, "Switching Storage Controllers without Reinstalling Windows". What you'll have to do is get an intermediate disk controller card and disk that can move from the old machine to the new machine, and perform the procedure twice (details are given in the write-up).

After that, remove all old drivers and install new ones.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't

I moved a system from a KT266a to a KT133 to a KT400 no problem

Also NF4 to NF2 and back no problem.

Intel to AMD & vice versa - never could get it to work even with Acronis Universal restore and manual specification of drivers.

Seems to vary according to the similarities of the chipset.

Note also the KT400 system has memory benchmarks 30-20% slower than a clean install. All the chipset drivers were reinstalled.

My friend uses it for basic office/internet use, so there is no point doing a clean install simply because it could preform faster.

What I am saying is that its works a shot, but if you can't manage to get it working after 5 hours of experimenting give up and just do a clean install.

BTW does it really take you that long? I can sit down and reinstall and reconfigure everything in less than 8 hours and I use a lot of software.

It helps that I write down notes of everything I do so I don't forget anything the next time.