Email administrator when error occurs in event viewer

Hi
How do I setup the event viewer to email an administrator when ANY errors
(red crosses) appear in the the system or application logs?
Can I just set it somewhere or do I need to write a script?

Chees Russ
3 answers Last reply
More about email administrator error occurs event viewer

    > Hi

    Hi,

    > How do I setup the event viewer to email an administrator when ANY errors
    > (red crosses) appear in the the system or application logs?
    > Can I just set it somewhere or do I need to write a script?

    You have to write a vbscript which must contains calls to Win32_NTLogEvent
    WMI entrys and CDO objects to send mail.

    > Chees Russ

    Good luck

    "" wrote:
    > Hi
    > How do I setup the event viewer to email an administrator when
    > ANY errors
    > (red crosses) appear in the the system or application logs?
    > Can I just set it somewhere or do I need to write a script?
    >
    > Chees Russ

    you need a monitoring tool or a custom script.
    For scripts see
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/scripts/logs/eventlog/default.mspx

    Cheers,

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-Email-administrator-error-occurs-event-viewer-ftopict554221.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1760121

    You could write a batch file that uses the log dumper from
    www.sysintenals.com or the one from the Microsoft Windows resource kit such
    as dumpel.exe to dump errors to a plain text file, then use the FC command
    to compare the dump with the copy from the last time the batch file was run,
    then download and use some sort of WAIT utility to wait a minute or five...
    and download and use the BLAT utility to generate an email to you. All of
    this can be done for free.

    You can also buy www.ipsentry.com plus the event log add-on to do all this
    for you. Runs about $120 US.

    "Russell" <Russell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > How do I setup the event viewer to email an administrator when ANY errors
    > (red crosses) appear in the the system or application logs?
    > Can I just set it somewhere or do I need to write a script?
    >
    > Chees Russ

Event Viewer Email Windows