Email administrator when error occurs in event viewer

russell

Hi
How do I setup the event viewer to email an administrator when ANY errors
(red crosses) appear in the the system or application logs?
Can I just set it somewhere or do I need to write a script?

Chees Russ

> Hi

Hi,

> How do I setup the event viewer to email an administrator when ANY errors
> (red crosses) appear in the the system or application logs?
> Can I just set it somewhere or do I need to write a script?

You have to write a vbscript which must contains calls to Win32_NTLogEvent
WMI entrys and CDO objects to send mail.

> Chees Russ

Good luck

"" wrote:
> Hi
> How do I setup the event viewer to email an administrator when
> ANY errors
> (red crosses) appear in the the system or application logs?
> Can I just set it somewhere or do I need to write a script?
>
> Chees Russ

you need a monitoring tool or a custom script.
For scripts see
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/scripts/logs/eventlog/default.mspx

Cheers,

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-Email-administrator-error-occurs-event-viewer-ftopict554221.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1760121

You could write a batch file that uses the log dumper from
www.sysintenals.com or the one from the Microsoft Windows resource kit such
as dumpel.exe to dump errors to a plain text file, then use the FC command
to compare the dump with the copy from the last time the batch file was run,
then download and use some sort of WAIT utility to wait a minute or five...
and download and use the BLAT utility to generate an email to you. All of
this can be done for free.

You can also buy www.ipsentry.com plus the event log add-on to do all this
for you. Runs about $120 US.