change password @ command line

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
July 7, 2005 12:57:10 PM

Running windows 2000 with AD and my users do not have access to the domain
contollers and my workstations are Windows 2000. Can I use dsmod.exe so that
I can go to the command line and change my password? The AdminPak for Windows
2003 will not install on a Windows 2000 server but can I just copy the
dsmod.exe file itself and run it from a Windows 2000 server?

Is there some other way or another utility that I could use that would allow
me to have users change their password at a command prompt without having
access to domain controllers?

Thanks
Randy
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 5:37:02 PM

I am a bit confused in that you state that users do not have access to
domain controllers? They don't need to logon to a domain controller if that
is what you mean and using control-alt-delete they can change their domain
passwords. If they are all remote users then that is a special case and we
will need more details. You can use the AD tools such as dsmod and dsquery
if you install adminpak for Windows 2003 on an XP Pro domain computer which
is well worth having since you could also install Group Policy Management
Console on it to manage GP for your Windows 2000 domain. Of course such XP
Pro computer would need to be a secured workstation since you would need to
use domain administrator credentials on it. --- Steve

"Randy" <Randy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Running windows 2000 with AD and my users do not have access to the domain
> contollers and my workstations are Windows 2000. Can I use dsmod.exe so
> that
> I can go to the command line and change my password? The AdminPak for
> Windows
> 2003 will not install on a Windows 2000 server but can I just copy the
> dsmod.exe file itself and run it from a Windows 2000 server?
>
> Is there some other way or another utility that I could use that would
> allow
> me to have users change their password at a command prompt without having
> access to domain controllers?
>
> Thanks
> Randy
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 12:31:55 AM

I am as confused as Steve.
You say your users have Windows 2000.
Is there some reason that they cannot do alt-cntrl-del and
click the change password button ? This tool lets then
change passwords for any account provided only that
the domain can be located (you can type free text for the
domain, not just drop select) and that they know the old
password.

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
"Randy" <Randy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Running windows 2000 with AD and my users do not have access to the domain
> contollers and my workstations are Windows 2000. Can I use dsmod.exe so
that
> I can go to the command line and change my password? The AdminPak for
Windows
> 2003 will not install on a Windows 2000 server but can I just copy the
> dsmod.exe file itself and run it from a Windows 2000 server?
>
> Is there some other way or another utility that I could use that would
allow
> me to have users change their password at a command prompt without having
> access to domain controllers?
>
> Thanks
> Randy
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 6:36:35 AM

"" wrote:
> Running windows 2000 with AD and my users do not have access
> to the domain
> contollers and my workstations are Windows 2000. Can I use
> dsmod.exe so that
> I can go to the command line and change my password? The
> AdminPak for Windows
> 2003 will not install on a Windows 2000 server but can I just
> copy the
> dsmod.exe file itself and run it from a Windows 2000 server?
>
> Is there some other way or another utility that I could use
> that would allow
> me to have users change their password at a command prompt
> without having
> access to domain controllers?
>
> Thanks
> Randy

the ds command can only be used on a windows 2003 server and it does
not matter if you have a w2k or w2k3 ad.

you could use ADMOD from joeware.net but this might be to difficult
and to much power for users.

Try NET USER /? for more info

Cheers,

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-change-password-c...