NTFS permissions

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
July 11, 2005 3:01:20 PM

I just moved a drive with 2 NTFS partitions in it from one win2k machine to
another win2k machine and installed win2k pro into one of the existing blank
NTFS partitions.

Now when I go to access the data in the other NTFS drive (despite having the
same user name and password), I cannot access all the folders inside which
did have the old user name's permissions on it.

I did remove the permissions from the drive and set them to my new user
name, but am unable to get into some folders inside which still have the old
permissions. I know I can take ownership of the files, but as there are too
many of them, I would rather choose some option to apply to all files and
folders inside - is this possible? Or am I going to have to spend the next
fortnight taking ownership of each file and folder in the partition?!

TIA

More about : ntfs permissions

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 3:01:21 PM

When you take ownership at the top you should be getting prompted
as to whether you want permissions changed and if so then also
whether you want that to be done on all the substructure
If you do not need to take ownership, then at the top of the structure
in the NTFS permissions dialog use the Advanced button and in
that adv view use the checkbox to apply the permissons to all
the dependent structure's objects.

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)

<nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:D atji0$nkn$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> I just moved a drive with 2 NTFS partitions in it from one win2k machine
> another win2k machine and installed win2k pro into one of the existing
blank
> NTFS partitions.
>
> Now when I go to access the data in the other NTFS drive (despite having
the
> same user name and password), I cannot access all the folders inside which
> did have the old user name's permissions on it.
>
> I did remove the permissions from the drive and set them to my new user
> name, but am unable to get into some folders inside which still have the
old
> permissions. I know I can take ownership of the files, but as there are
too
> many of them, I would rather choose some option to apply to all files and
> folders inside - is this possible? Or am I going to have to spend the next
> fortnight taking ownership of each file and folder in the partition?!
>
> TIA

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 1:14:47 AM

You must be owner to all datas.
Take ownership to root folder and all be ok.

--
BRGDS
Bari Murtazin

<nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:D atji0$nkn$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>I just moved a drive with 2 NTFS partitions in it from one win2k machine to
>another win2k machine and installed win2k pro into one of the existing
>blank NTFS partitions.
>
> Now when I go to access the data in the other NTFS drive (despite having
> the same user name and password), I cannot access all the folders inside
> which did have the old user name's permissions on it.
>
> I did remove the permissions from the drive and set them to my new user
> name, but am unable to get into some folders inside which still have the
> old permissions. I know I can take ownership of the files, but as there
> are too many of them, I would rather choose some option to apply to all
> files and folders inside - is this possible? Or am I going to have to
> spend the next fortnight taking ownership of each file and folder in the
> partition?!
>
> TIA

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 6:40:03 AM

Hello,

For your situation, I'd like to explain that even you got the same username
in new OS, it is still a different user with the one in the problematic
folder. So as Roger and Bari you need to take ownership of the all data or
apply the permissons, You may try their suggestions first.

Thank Roger and Bari for assistance.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support