Challenging PSU situation, you guys are smart...

bobloadmire

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
Heres the challenge. I have C2D 4300 OC on S3 MB. I have 1 8800GTS, i will never SLI. This is my DAW/Gaming Rig. I need a Modular PSU that is extremely quiet (for recording purposes) and sub $100. i need this baby to last. 2 Audio cards, 3 HDs, 2 ODD, TV tuner, and a recently fried floppy drive =). Thanks for the recommendations.

everett

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2004
Good luck getting one under 100, but if you want one that is quiet and last's. then spend the extra 30 buck's and get This. I know... I might sound like a broken record, but it is made by seasonic and it has a 5 year warranty.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Even if you find that kind of PSU, do keep in mind that you might need major replacements soon... you know, HDD's for example are susceptible to voltage irregularities...

They are, albeit a bit weak in the +12v amps for the DX10 setups - it's rated for 360w/30A on both +12v and your non-oc'd setup clocks in at about 26.4A (202w from the psucalc and 115w from the gpu, guesstimated)

I usually give 80% of the max rating for some headroom, be it expansion or longevity so you are over my 24A limit already. And you want to OC that will take some more oomph as well, and age considerations also have to be taken in to effect. More is better :D

NamelessMC

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2005
LISTEN TO DOOLITTLE!

The HX520 has 40A at the 12v rails, it's quiet, it's modular, it's beautiful.

(Yeah I'm biased toward Corsair HXs, what can I say?)

If I found a woman that was as good to me as my Corsair HX520, you know, great performance, flexible, cheap and most of all QUIET, I'd marry her.

bobloadmire

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
Do you guys think i could maybe go cheaper if the PS is not modular? Its not nessicary, but i like the idea. what do you guys think, is modular worth the extra money?

bobloadmire

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
I grabbed a Mushkin Enhanced HP-580AP for $90 shipped. it has quad 12v rails at 20A each. i believe this even out specs the corsair. 5 year warrenty also. 80A total. thats ridiculous. Modular too, so i think i"ll be happy.

bobloadmire

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
Model
Brand mushkin
Model HP-580AP
SPEC
Type ATX12V / EPS12V
Maximum Power 580W
Fans 1 x 120mm LED Fan
PFC Active
Main Connector 20 + 4Pin
Dual +12V Yes
PCI-E Connectors 2 x 6Pin
SLI Support NVIDIA SLI certified
Modular Cabling Support Yes
Efficiency Up to 84%
Over Voltage Protection +5V trip point < +7V
+3.3V trip point < +4.3V
+12V trip point < +15.6V
Input Voltage 115/230 V
Input Frequency Range 50/60 Hz
Input Current 10A @ 115V, 5A @ 230V
Output +3.3V@24A, +5V@24A,+12V1@20A, +12V2@20A, +12V3@20A, +12V4@20A, -12V@0.8A, 5VSB@3.0A
MTBF >100,000 Hours
Approvals TUV, CE, CB, cUL, FCC
Features
Features RailFusion: responds to increased loads by automatically combining 12V rails when required
QuadRail: Four +12V rails distribute load evenly for maximum stability
Enhanced Power Conditioning
ActiveShield Technology
Manufacturer Warranty
Parts 5 years

thats pretty slick. rave reviews too. what do you guys think?

bobloadmire

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
really? i read about 4 reviews on it, and everyone says that the PS is one of the best. One site went as far to say the best they ad seen for years.

Any i got it for $90, and its going to beat the shit out of my Ultra 500W xfinity that i got free after rebate. how do you figure 38A? 4 rails X 20A?

bobloadmire

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
yeah i was reading that from your sig earlier. here is the excerpt from the review:
" In my opinion, the Mushkin 580AP power supply is the best looking power supply that any of us here at Club Overclocker have tested in our nearly 10 years of existence. It is also one of the highest quality units I have ever seen anywhere. Mushkin has gone above and beyond what I expect to see in a power supply. It is obvious the people at Mushkin have really put a lot of time and effort into the 580AP to ensure they have the best power supply on the market today. I would have to say they have done an extremely good job at meeting this goal. The only way I could see Mushkin improving this product is by fine tuning the power lines for a more exact power output. Other than that, this is one heck of a power supply. At $140, the price is just right compared to other power supplies with the same features. If you're looking for an ultra high quality, modular power supply for under $200, you really need to set your sights on Mushkin's 580AP. Club Overclocker Recommended!"

Mushkin, like BFG, uses Topower as their OEM - you can barely read it in their label pictured here as E130843

17-812-004-05.JPG

38A on +12v? Hmm, sounds familiar, let's look at the epower/topower ZU-550W
17-101-021-05.JPG

/me confused... the zu-550w has higher +3.3v/+5v combined and the same +12v power?

I know jonny reviewed the 550w version here and it suffers the same rail instability and crossload problems as the zumax ZU-550W bretheren... I wonder if they have resolved it with the HP-580? I searched a bit and could not find anything definitive about it.

I would not say they are bad, when the chips are down and you need something to power your rig you can't go wrong with the epower models - you pay less with tradeoffs - i.e. slight voltage instability under high load (compared to Antec/Seasonic/Enermax brands) but the question comes to mind, what do the other brands do with the topower OEMs they receive?

Check out Jonny's BFG 650w review apparently they just took the epower ZU650W and charged double for a lifetime warranty! With the Mushkin 550w it is apparently a similiar story, but really can't say about the 580w you have it may be a solid unit based on the reviews I have read - then again the SPCR or JonnyG review would be more definitive. I recall way-back when searching a decent review for an ultra x-connect unit I got as a hand-me-down, there were literally dozens of "I plugged it in, turned it on and it worked! rated 9/10 super-excellent" :lol: then found Jonny's website for the first time -was like a revelation at the time...

Anyhow if it's working well and you are not pushing it to the limits, then really what else matters? You may experience those symptoms when you upgrade and push the unit as it ages down the road so that is a consideration just keep your eyes on your system monitor and when you get some flakey lockups it's handy to have a voltmeter around to double check. Hopefully it will never come to that :wink:

bobloadmire

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
yeah i have my digital multimeter ready. where should i check voltages from? i mean the puter has to be running. i comes with a 5 year warranty, so i get some life out of it.

The only one that is a pain is the +12v, with multi-rail PSUs I usually measure that at the PCIE, hdd/fdd, the 20+4 and the 4 (or 8 ) pin ATX12v. OCZ puts that on their label, nice guys 8)

The +5 is convenient at the hdd/fdd however the others you have to resort to using the 20+4 ATX connector :(