[PW!] Diverting Time!

"Listen now," said Lauren, talking to her partner Diego. He wasn't
listening. "The quickest way to get to where we want to go is a
straight line, so- Are you listening, Diego?"

Diego had been insufferable for the last few days. They'd been lying
low, sleeping in the bushes that surrounded Route 111, hoping to avoid
running into anyone from Mauville for a while. Lauren had used this
time to devise various schemes and work out where to go next. Diego
had used the time to spurt cooing noises at his baby Geodude and warm
the light-blue egg he'd received.

Currently, Diego had wrapped some of his warmer disguises –
specifically, his eskimo, old lady and Flaaffy disguises – around the
egg, and was currently singing to it.

"Diego, I swear, if I've told you once, I've told you once a day for
the last seventeen years – do NOT do absolutely ANYTHING in the ENTIRE
WORLD that requires ANY DEGREE OF MUSICAL TALENT."

Diego didn't hear her, and he continued to butcher a lullaby.

Out of sheer frustration, Lauren grabbed Diego's face and aimed it
upwards at her own.

"Now, Diego, as I was saying," she said. "What's the quickest way to
get from one place to another?"

"Um, running," said Diego, mildly confident.

"No! A straight line!" growled Lauren. "So we're going to..." She
stopped. She'd heard something. "What was that?"

Diego looked ahead.

"Oh," he said softly. "She's fully naked again."

"Who are you talk- Oh, no. No!"

PokéWars!: Lauren and Diego
"Diverting Time!"
Steffan Alun

Keiko, sweating a bit having been wearing unfamiliar clothing in the
hot weather, was walking back towards Mauville. She was disappointed
at having failed to find her Minun's captors, but she had a phone
number now, and could report the matter to the police.

Suddenly, she spotted someone.

"Look, Skyler!" she exclaimed, whispering. "A tall one and a short
one! Just like those con artists. Think that might be them?"

Skyler the Swablu chirped in agreement from Keiko's arms. Keiko made
her way over to the two figures, but was disappointed to find that
they weren't the salesmen from before at all.

The tall figure was a woman with curly ginger hair and spectacles with
elaborate frames. A holdall hung from her shoulder. The shorter
figure was a fat bald man with a large moustache that entirely covered
his mouth. He wore a repulsive Hawaiian shirt.

"Hello, sweetie," said the woman in a high-pitched, whiny tone of
voice. "Can you tell us how to get to Mauville Street from here?"

"Sure," said Keiko. "Assuming you mean Mauville City. It's to the
south of here. I'm on my way there if you'd like me to show you the
way."

"Oh, no, that's not necessary," huffed the little man. His moustache
muffled his speech somewhat. "We'd like to have a picknick before
going back anyway. It's such a lovely part of the world, this, isn't
it?"

"I guess," said Keiko. She wasn't as keen on Route 111, having
searched it far and wide for traces of the people who'd tricked her
into giving them her Minun. Suddenly, she was struck by a thought.
"I wonder if YOU could help ME."

"In what way?" whined the woman suspiciously.

"Well, I'm looking for two people. One's a woman of about your
height, and one's a man, much shorter." She looked at the man in the
Hawaiian shirt. "About your height, I'd say."

The woman's mouth hung open. Keiko wasn't sure how to interpret her
expression, but she quickly closed it, and then said, "Yeah, we saw
some people like that. Were they wearing suits?"

"Yes! That's them!"

Suddenly, Skyler bounced out of Keiko's arms, and started walking
towards the nearby bushes.

"Not now, Skyler," grinned Keiko. She bent over and picked up the
small bird. She turned back to the couple. "Did you see where they
went?"

"Sure," said the man. He quickly looked around, presumably trying to
recall where the con artists had gone. He pointed towards a smaller
path heading away from Route 111. "They went that way."

"Oh, how odd." Keiko had spotted the path during her earlier search
for the pair, but hadn't explored it further since it apparently led
to a mansion where a concert of some sort was being prepared. "Why
would they hide at a gig?"

"Beats me," said the woman, a slight edge to her voice. "Why WOULD
they hide at a gig, Harry?"

"Well," said the man huffily. "If two people wanted to hide, where
better to go than a place that's full of people?"

"I guess you're right," said Keiko. "Thanks for your help!" She left
the two to ponder her next move.

When they were sure she'd gone, the couple removed a full layer of
clothing and accessories in one swift movement.

"We had her completely fooled," said Diego, removing the egg he'd used
as padding from inside his t-shirt. "I'm a better actor than I
thought."

"Or maybe she's just dumb," said Lauren. She quickly combed her hair,
and then got to work on Diego's. Diego loved using his bald cap,
despite the mess it made of his hair underneath.

They quickly stuffed their disguises into the holdall. Lauren looked
north.

"Alright, we can make our getaway now. Nothing can prevent our
glorious escape!"

TBC?

Arren and Huck were slowly making their way through the bushes, following
the naked girl from a distance. They'd been doing this for over a day now
and the novelty of 'nakedness' was beginning to wear off. Suddenly, Scyther
growled and ducked.

Beyond, in the clearing there were voices. Fearing they may be policemen,
they hid behind some trees and peered through the foliage at waist level.

> The tall figure was a woman with curly ginger hair and spectacles with
> elaborate frames. A holdall hung from her shoulder. The shorter
> figure was a fat bald man with a large moustache that entirely covered
> his mouth. He wore a repulsive Hawaiian shirt.
>
> "Hello, sweetie," said the woman in a high-pitched, whiny tone of
> voice. "Can you tell us how to get to Mauville Street from here?"
>
> "Sure," said Keiko. "Assuming you mean Mauville City. It's to the
> south of here. I'm on my way there if you'd like me to show you the
> way."

Arren, being quite small anyway, didn't usually get a good deal with
viewpoints unless he was on someone's shoulders. He crept through the
undergrowth and inadvertently snapped a twig. The eyes of the naked girl's
Swablu shot to the bushes, looking for the source of the noise. Arren, Huck
and Scyther crept further back into the shadows, cringing.

> "Oh, no, that's not necessary," huffed the little man. His moustache
> muffled his speech somewhat. "We'd like to have a picknick before
> going back anyway. It's such a lovely part of the world, this, isn't
> it?"
>
> "I guess," said Keiko. She wasn't as keen on Route 111, having
> searched it far and wide for traces of the people who'd tricked her
> into giving them her Minun. Suddenly, she was struck by a thought.
> "I wonder if YOU could help ME."
>
> "In what way?" whined the woman suspiciously.
>
> "Well, I'm looking for two people. One's a woman of about your
> height, and one's a man, much shorter." She looked at the man in the
> Hawaiian shirt. "About your height, I'd say."
>
> The woman's mouth hung open. Keiko wasn't sure how to interpret her
> expression, but she quickly closed it, and then said, "Yeah, we saw
> some people like that. Were they wearing suits?"
>
> "Yes! That's them!"

Thinking it safe to do so, Huck and Arren moved forward to hear better. Once
again though, noise was incurred and they backtracked. The Swablu instantly
became more attentive.

> Suddenly, Skyler bounced out of Keiko's arms, and started walking
> towards the nearby bushes.
>
> "Not now, Skyler," grinned Keiko. She bent over and picked up the
> small bird.

Arren and Huck barely managed to stifle gasps. Scyther made a low grumble,
which roughly translated as "Aah, interesting. There is now no part of her
anotomy I have not seen."

>She turned back to the couple. "Did you see where they went?"
>
> "Sure," said the man. He quickly looked around, presumably trying to
> recall where the con artists had gone. He pointed towards a smaller
> path heading away from Route 111. "They went that way."
>
> "Oh, how odd." Keiko had spotted the path during her earlier search
> for the pair, but hadn't explored it further since it apparently led
> to a mansion where a concert of some sort was being prepared. "Why
> would they hide at a gig?"
>
> "Beats me," said the woman, a slight edge to her voice. "Why WOULD
> they hide at a gig, Harry?"
>
> "Well," said the man huffily. "If two people wanted to hide, where
> better to go than a place that's full of people?"

"Interesting," thought Huck aloud, but not loud as such, more like a
whisper, "What he's done there is given us the solution to our problems.
Hey, Arren, fancy going to a gig?"

"Err," Arren, "Would I have to wear special clothes for that?"

"Eh?"

> "I guess you're right," said Keiko. "Thanks for your help!" She left
> the two to ponder her next move.
>
> When they were sure she'd gone, the couple removed a full layer of
> clothing and accessories in one swift movement.
>
> "We had her completely fooled," said Diego, removing the egg he'd used
> as padding from inside his t-shirt. "I'm a better actor than I
> thought."
>
> "Or maybe she's just dumb," said Lauren. She quickly combed her hair,
> and then got to work on Diego's. Diego loved using his bald cap,
> despite the mess it made of his hair underneath.
>
> They quickly stuffed their disguises into the holdall. Lauren looked
> north.

"Okay," Arren said, "Did that actually happen, or was I imagining it?"

"Erm, I think it happened, although if you said that was the weirdest
conversation you've ever overheard and that I was dreaming I may well
believe you."

"Ah, right," Arren replied, satisfied that he wasn't going mad.

> "Alright, we can make our getaway now. Nothing can prevent our
> glorious escape!"

There was a momentary pause, then came a Hello-I'd-like-your-attention cough
from behind them.

Lauren spun around to find herself face to face with a dusty blonde haired
kid flanked by an enormous Scyther.

"Who the bloody hell are you?" She demanded, partially annoyed at the
appearance of another annoyance but even more so at being caught mid
victory-chant.

"Err - um," the kid began, looking for encouragement from the Scyther, who
gestured encouragingly with his blades and growled.

"Come on boy, we haven't got all day,"

"We were, um, wondering if you could help us...?" The boy asked, eventually.

"Hah!" Lauren cackled, "Come on Di. *Damien*, we're leaving." She turned
away, ready to leave.

Diego hadn't moved though, he was eyeing the boy with an odd look.

"What makes you think you can help us?" He asked, carefully.

"You have disguises, it seems - we need some. We were wondering if..." He
began, his mid flow confidence was shattered when he noticed the looks on
the odd couple's faces, "What did I say?"

The smaller one, Diego, looked crestfallen. But the women, looked absolutely
livid.

"You've been spying on us, haven't you!" She shrieked, advancing forward,
poking the boy in the chest with a long nailed index finger, "How long have
you been watching us, eh? Who do you work for? What are they paying you??
You don't know who we are boyo - we're notorious we are. We, er...
Infamous!!!"

"Charlotte!" The little man, Diego piped, "Calm down, they don't work for
anyone."

She turned on him, her voice dropping from angry to frightened, "How do you
know Damien? How can we be sure? We're done for!!!"

"Jeepers Creepers woman, get a grip on yourself." Diego replied, his calm
voice acting like a verbal slap.

The woman gathered herself together, rising to her impressive full height.
"You're right Damien - sorry." With her dignity restored, she continued as
if nothing had happened.

"Now boy, tell us what you have seen,"

"You have to promise to help us," the boy replied.

"I'm doing nothing of the sort, now tell u - -"

"Then we'll tell the police!" the boy tried to parley admirably.
Unfortunately, Lauren was better at it than he was.

"Oh I don't think you will. Who do you need to disguise yourself from, if
not the police?" She bit back. The boy bit his lip and looked at his feet,
"I thought so. Now, if you would be so kind as to tell us exactly what you
saw..."

"We saw the naked girl - -" There was a snigger emanating from the Scyther's
midriff. On closer inspection there was another boy, on the Scyther's back.
"And we decided to follow her..."

"Why?" Lauren snapped. The boy blushed furiously. Lauren could think of no
conceivable reason for following Keiko - but then again, she wasn't an
adolescent boy, "On second thoughts, don't answer that. I think I know the
answer already." She cast a despairing look at Diego, who was whistling
inanely and staring off into space.

"Sorry Charlotte, did you say something?"

"Nevermind," she replied icily, "Please continue..."

"Well, we followed her and she led us to you guys. When she left, we were
going to continue following her - but then we saw you change out of what you
were wearing - so we thought we'd ask you if you could help..."

Lauren forced a smile before taking her companion by the hand. She led him a
little way away from them, so that they wouldn't hear.

"Scyther - how good is your hearing?" Huck asked. Scyther took the hint and
then related to him exactly what was being said, while Huck translated for
Arren.

"How about we fight them, they can't be that hard," Lauren enthused to her
short companion.

"You think so? I'm not sure, that Scyther looks nasty," Diego replied,
eyeing Scyther warily.

"Come on Diego, we aren't really going to bargain with these kids?! Think
about our reputation!!"

"Do we have a reputation?"

"Yes..."

"Whatever, I think we should help them out if we can. Besides, they may have
some things that we may want..."

"Ooh! Like rare Pokémon?!"

"Maybe. We'll never know until we ask."

"Okay Diego, you win. We'll bargain with these children and see what they
have."

"Hang about! Who's she calling 'children'?!" Arren piped from behind
Scyther. Lauren and Diego had returned though, Huck 'shhh'd' him.

"So...?" Huck inquired, trying to hide his excitement.

"We have decided," Lauren began with an airy 'sniff', "To aid you in your
quest, young sirs. We will give you a disguise each, in return for something
that you may have that we may want."

Huck was eager to get on with it, he knew exactly what he was going to give
them.

"Soo, what have you got?" He asked, his eyes glittering.

"Well, you could have robot costumes. no? How about, a sailor suit?"

At this point, Diego protested but Lauren overrode him with a glare.

"What about - a 'hard rocking' number.?"

Huck eyes bulged with interest, but held his tongue.

"Do you want that one boy? Damien's not very fond of that one - " It was
quite obvious that Diego was quite fond of this one.

"Yeah, okay. Why not."

"That's right. sorry, wrong gag."

"What?"

"Never mind. How about a Flaaffy costume?" At this point Lauren had to
stifle a protest from Diego with one hand whilst removing the offending
article from the egg with the other.

"Yes, that'll do." Huck said, not really thinking about what this meant.
Arren on the other hand did jump to the appropriate conclusion.

"Hang about" he began, "You don't really expect me to wear - -"

Huck hushed him before he could continue. Arren smouldered sulkily.

"Excellent. Now, what are you going to give us in return?" Lauren asked, as
if dealing a trump card.

"Ah," replied Huck, "Funny you should mention that, but I think I've got
something that might interest you."

He pulled out the Pokédex. The complete one, in case you're wondering. Huck
opened it up and showed Lauren the significant part. Her eyes widened
greedily then narrowed. Several things surged through her mind - is he
having a laugh? Is this a fair trade? But there was the constant 'Ooh I
really want that!' that threatened to throw her brain into turmoil. She put
her hands to her temples.

"What is it?" Diego asked.

"He's offering us a complete Pokédex." Diego looked a bit worried, Lauren
looked as if she was broken. "I don't understand Damien..."

"Okay, I'll finish the trade. You go sit down or something, you look a bit
pale."

Lauren did exactly that. She walked away and sat on a large boulder and
rocked back and forth.

"Is she okay?" Huck asked.

"She's fine," Diego replied passing over the costumes. He wasn't really
sorry to see them go, considering the item they were getting in return. He
didn't want to hang around long enough for these kids to figure out the
folly of their move.

Huck handed him the Pokédex and though "Jackpot."

"Come on Charlotte," Diego announced, "We're leaving now."

And with that, the very strange people walked out of Arren and Huck's lives
for the present time.

"I can't believe you got me a Flaaffy costume..." Arren was not amused.

"Sorry," Huck, at once realising that this was both amusing and quite
hurtful. Scyther missed the offence to Arren and indeed his negative mood in
general, he was clearly more interested in the fact that the source of
danger to Arren was now passed on to the odd couple.

"Okay," Huck said, "I suppose we go to the concert then..."

--
Hem Hem - oiseau bum talent- - JomTones
publicenemanumberone@hotmail.nospam.com

"Jom Tones" <publicenemanumberone@hotmail.nospam.com> wrote in message news:<2juirbF14kd9dU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> [...]
>
> "Ah," replied Huck, "Funny you should mention that, but I think I've got
> something that might interest you."
>
> He pulled out the Pokédex. The complete one, in case you're wondering. Huck
> opened it up and showed Lauren the significant part. Her eyes widened
> greedily then narrowed. Several things surged through her mind - is he
> having a laugh? Is this a fair trade? But there was the constant 'Ooh I
> really want that!' that threatened to throw her brain into turmoil. She put
> her hands to her temples.
>
> "What is it?" Diego asked.
>
> "He's offering us a complete Pokédex." Diego looked a bit worried, Lauren
> looked as if she was broken. "I don't understand Damien..."
>
> "Okay, I'll finish the trade. You go sit down or something, you look a bit
> pale."
>
> Lauren did exactly that. She walked away and sat on a large boulder and

As Diego talked to the two boys, Lauren struggled to comprehend the
situation. It made sense, somewhat. They give the kids costumes.
The kids give them a complete Pokédex. Such a Pokédex was rare -
Eric, their new boss, would probably forget all about the lack of
Pokémon he'd received as of late if he was given this device.

But...something was wrong. Lauren couldn't put her finger on it. It
was as though part of her brain wasn't functioning.

She looked up suddenly. That's what was wrong. She needed to talk to
Diego about this. It was an unfamiliar situation, and she needed him
to work through it logically.

Fortunately, Diego had finished dealing with the two kids by now.

> "Come on Charlotte," Diego announced, "We're leaving now."
>
> And with that, the very strange people walked out of Arren and Huck's lives
> for the present time.

For a long time, they walked in silence. Diego absent-mindedly toyed
with the egg in his hands, which was wrapped in clothing. Lauren
rubbed her temples and tried to focus on images. Her eyes were
watering.

Eventually, she spoke. Her tone was the same as always - decisive and
pronounced. However, she quivered slightly as she talked.

"Is it actually complete, then?" she asked.

"It is," replied Diego. He sounded strangely sad, and even he didn't
quite know why. "It even has information on Pokémon that may not even
exist, just for completion. You should take a look at this."

He handed over the device. Lauren looked at the information he'd
called up - details of a mythical Pokemon named Regice. A lot of
research had gone into the Pokémon's information - it must have
cross-referenced many, many stories and legends to have such detail.
Whoever owned this Pokédex must have had a lot of time on his hands.

"It's wrong," said Lauren quietly, sounding like a stranger to
herself. "No, this is too much."

"Sorry?" said Diego. He seemed distracted - more so than he usually
was.

"We always deal with straighforward trades," said Lauren. "We gave
that girl a full sack of clothes for a tiny Minun. And what did we
give those kids? Two costumes! Two!"

"And they gave us a Pokédex," said Diego. "We made a profit."

"Exactly," said Lauren. Suddenly, her voice changed, and she was her
old self again - snippy and authoritative. "Well, we'll just have to
give them more."

"Wh-" Diego stopped rocking his egg back and forth and stared at his
partner. "More? They don't WANT anything more! They just wanted two
costumes to stay hidden for a while. What in the world can we offer
them that they'd want?"

"Obviously, we're not going to GIVE them anything," said Lauren
impatiently. "We're going to protect them. We're the notorious
Pokémon smugglers Lauren and Diego!, Diego. Can you think of anyone
better at staying hidden than we are?"

"Of course not," said Diego, encouraging her.

"We'll follow them until we've done enough to deserve this Pokédex."

"We've already lost them, Lauren."

Lauren scanned the route ahead of them.

"No we haven't! We know where they're headed, remember?"

"You don't mean..." started Diego. "Are we going to the concert?!"

"Yes."

"Does this mean..."

"If you sing along, I'll destroy your egg."

"Right."

TBC?

Steffan Alun wrote:

> "We always deal with straighforward trades," said Lauren. "We gave
> that girl a full sack of clothes for a tiny Minun. And what did we
> give those kids? Two costumes! Two!"
>
> "And they gave us a Pokédex," said Diego. "We made a profit."
>
> "Exactly," said Lauren. Suddenly, her voice changed, and she was her
> old self again - snippy and authoritative. "Well, we'll just have to
> give them more."
>
> "Wh-" Diego stopped rocking his egg back and forth and stared at his
> partner. "More? They don't WANT anything more! They just wanted two
> costumes to stay hidden for a while. What in the world can we offer
> them that they'd want?"
>
> "Obviously, we're not going to GIVE them anything," said Lauren
> impatiently. "We're going to protect them. We're the notorious
> Pokémon smugglers Lauren and Diego!, Diego. Can you think of anyone
> better at staying hidden than we are?"
>
> "Of course not," said Diego, encouraging her.
>
> "We'll follow them until we've done enough to deserve this Pokédex."
>
> "We've already lost them, Lauren."
>
> Lauren scanned the route ahead of them.
>
> "No we haven't! We know where they're headed, remember?"
>
> "You don't mean..." started Diego. "Are we going to the concert?!"

"Look, I'm trying to find someone and they'd told me they'd be here,"
Keiko pleaded, not lieing nearly as much as she thought. "Can't you
just let me in? Please?"

"Miss, like I told you last time, when you were at least wearing pants,"
the large, dark man at the door of the mansion replied. "No shirt, no
shoes, no entry. You're not even wearing as much as you did last time.
This ain't Woodstock. But..." A wicked smile crossed the doorman's
face. "If you're trying to seduce me, then I suppose we can comprimise."

Keiko blushed in mortification and blurted out, "I'm not trying to
seduce anyone! What kind of girl do you take me for!?"

"Hey, I'm not the one in my birthday suit, lady," the man accused. "Now
either get dressed or get out!"

"Fine," Keiko grumbled. Then a thought struck her. "Could I change in
a bathroom or something? This mansion's got to at least have one of those."

The man gave her a look like an Inuit gives a refrigerator salesman.

"Why?" he asked dumbfoundedly. "What could you possibly be hiding?
Internal organs?"

"Nevermind," Keiko conceded. She slid behind some nearby bushes and
proceded to dress. She reemerged wearing violet cargo pants, black
hiking shoes, a black tank top, and a studded leather armband and
choker. Skyler the Swablu, once again, was perched atop her head.
"Will this do?"

"It'll be fine," the man replied. "Do you have a ticket?"

Keiko reached into her belt pack (which, along with her emerald
hairclip, was what normally passed as clothing with her) and produced a
ticket. She had bought one the last time she checked the place out.

"Alright, get going," the man said.

"Thank you," Keiko said as she darted into the mansion. Inside, she
took out her PokeNav and switched to the Trainer's Eye function. As it
turned out, her quarry weren't at the mansion just yet but they were on
their way.

"I guess I'll wait for them here," Keiko said. She looked around her
and thought aloud, "Maybe I could even dramatically ambush them or
something. What do you think?"

"Swablu," Skyler replied.

"Yeah, that might be a bit much," Keiko admitted. "I'll just try not to
stand out until I find them. There's no real need for theatrics."

To be continued...?

[NS: Pardon me if I don't further detail what happens within the
mansion. I wasn't so sure if the concert should be ready by now since
Amber and Jason aren't anywhere near the place. Assuming, of course,
this is supposed to be that concert.]

--

Chet "Tech" Weaver

AIM: PanGatomon
MSN: Nichirasu@hotmail.com
eMail: zeroohki at netscape dot net
Yahoo! Messenger: tech_weaver
ICQ: 122744531

My Adventure Quest character:

Chet Weaver - Chicks Dig Giant Robots <zeroohki@netscape.net> wrote in message news:<2k1s2sF173ireU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> [NS: Pardon me if I don't further detail what happens within the
> mansion. I wasn't so sure if the concert should be ready by now since
> Amber and Jason aren't anywhere near the place. Assuming, of course,
> this is supposed to be that concert.]

Yeah, I talked to both Amber and Marco with regards to details so as
to keep things consistent. I'm letting them handle the finer details,
though, since I have some vague plans for Lauren and Diego first.

Shout out to Marco, though - do you have a set date for when Jason'll
show up? I've been leaving those details out for the time being, and
there's no real rush on my part, but as Tech said, it'd be tricky to
explore an NPC mansion belonging to Amber when she's all the way in
Johto. :-x

Steffan