Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Component connections (2 questions)

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
August 9, 2004 7:41:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

I have a Sony LCD HDTV monitor which has only 2 component inputs. I wish to
feed it with (hopefully) digital and HD signals from the following 5 pieces
of equipment. 1.) Comcast HDTV cable box, 2.) Sony DVD player/recorder,
3.) OTA Samsung tuner, 4.) Tivo and 5.) Sony non digital VCR.

Can anyone recommend the best way to allow these five sources to be fed into
the 2 input monitor with minimum loss of quality? I have had suggested a
switching box and someone has on this list has suggested an AVS4.1 . Does
anyone have any recent practical experience of this unit?

Can anyone also recommend a method of sending signals recorded on the Tivo
to the DVD recorder unit so that I may be able to burn a DVD of anything I
may have recorded on the Tivo? Can this also be done via the same switching
box?

As I am a complete novice regarding all things electronic, I shall be most
grateful for any ideas couched in the most elementary of language.

Thank you in advance.
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 8:25:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Geoff" <engconn@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:9PydndUdZJcFTorcRVn-rg@comcast.com...
> I have a Sony LCD HDTV monitor which has only 2 component inputs. I wish
to
> feed it with (hopefully) digital and HD signals from the following 5
pieces
> of equipment. 1.) Comcast HDTV cable box, 2.) Sony DVD player/recorder,
> 3.) OTA Samsung tuner, 4.) Tivo and 5.) Sony non digital VCR.

Are you saying the Sony monitor has only 2 inputs and they are component
video? I find that unusual. I would check to see if it has composite video
and s-video. I would be surprised of it didn't. What is the model number?


>
> Can anyone recommend the best way to allow these five sources to be fed
into
> the 2 input monitor with minimum loss of quality? I have had suggested a
> switching box and someone has on this list has suggested an AVS4.1 . Does
> anyone have any recent practical experience of this unit?

Most switching boxes only switch like formats (does not convert between
formats). Expensive receivers do this.

If the monitor has composite and s-video, plus the 2 component:

1. Tivo: composite to VCR, s-video to monitor
2. VCR: s-video to monitor, composite to DVD recorder (many VCRs only have
s-video out, not in or you could try Tivo to VCR with s-video)
3. DVD recorder to Monitor with component video
4. HDTV Cable to monitor with component video

If you are correct and you do only have 2 component inputs then get a switch
box for s-video:
1. Tivo: S-video to switch
2. VCR : S-Video to switch
3. Switch: S-video to DVD recorder
4. DVD Recorder: Component to Monitor
5. HDTV cable: component to monitor

Note: In the second case, (which I think is unlikely) the DVD recorder may
not do a conversion (pass through s-video to component), so when recording
from the VCR or Tivo, you may need a composite or s-video connection to the
monitor.

>
> Can anyone also recommend a method of sending signals recorded on the
Tivo
> to the DVD recorder unit so that I may be able to burn a DVD of anything I
> may have recorded on the Tivo? Can this also be done via the same
switching
> box?

Tivo only has composite and s-video. S-video is better. Send one to the
recorder with audio.

Brad Houser
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 12:47:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Geoff" <engconn@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:9PydndUdZJcFTorcRVn-rg@comcast.com...
> I have a Sony LCD HDTV monitor which has only 2 component inputs. I wish
to
> feed it with (hopefully) digital and HD signals from the following 5
pieces
> of equipment. 1.) Comcast HDTV cable box, 2.) Sony DVD player/recorder,
> 3.) OTA Samsung tuner, 4.) Tivo and 5.) Sony non digital VCR.
>
> Can anyone recommend the best way to allow these five sources to be fed
into
> the 2 input monitor with minimum loss of quality? I have had suggested a
> switching box and someone has on this list has suggested an AVS4.1 . Does
> anyone have any recent practical experience of this unit?
>
> Can anyone also recommend a method of sending signals recorded on the
Tivo
> to the DVD recorder unit so that I may be able to burn a DVD of anything I
> may have recorded on the Tivo? Can this also be done via the same
switching
> box?
>
> As I am a complete novice regarding all things electronic, I shall be most
> grateful for any ideas couched in the most elementary of language.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
>

Depending on some specifics, you may be able to get away with no switch box
at all. First off, the VCR, being non-hd capable (I presume this is not an
HD-VCR) probably doesn't have component outputs. This will be fine with
S-video, if supported, or a video-composite (yellow plug) if not.

Second, Is the Tivo HD capable? Again, if not S-video will be sufficient
there as well. S-video should work in sending a signal from the tivo to the
dvd-player as well, as you will not be able to record higher than 480i from
a non-HD tivo. I dont have Tivo, so I could be wrong on that one...never
tried it.

Third, do either of the HD capable receivers have/support DVI output? I know
your comcast box will, but the question there is whether the port is
supported. The OTA receiver, if available, may support the use of DVI, in
which case this solves your problem. Use a DVI cable from the receiver to
the tv, and component for the DVD player and the other receiver.

If neither of the receivers has DVI out available, your best solution would
be a component switch box. I do not use this equipment, but theoretically,
the loss experienced in a box such as the one you suggested should be
unnoticeable.

HTH, anybody disagrees, feel free to correct my mistakes.

Matt
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 1:42:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"mr E" <jimmmmmmmm@jim.com> wrote in
news:gpRRc.230650$%_6.85172@attbi_s01:

>
> "Geoff" <engconn@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:9PydndUdZJcFTorcRVn-rg@comcast.com...
>> I have a Sony LCD HDTV monitor which has only 2
component inputs. I
>> wish
> to
>> feed it with (hopefully) digital and HD signals
from the following 5
> pieces
>> of equipment. 1.) Comcast HDTV cable box, 2.)
Sony DVD
>> player/recorder, 3.) OTA Samsung tuner, 4.)
Tivo and 5.) Sony non
>> digital VCR.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend the best way to allow these
five sources to be
>> fed
> into
>> the 2 input monitor with minimum loss of quality?
I have had
>> suggested a switching box and someone has on this
list has suggested
>> an AVS4.1 . Does anyone have any recent practical
experience of this
>> unit?
>>
>> Can anyone also recommend a method of sending
signals recorded on
>> the
> Tivo
>> to the DVD recorder unit so that I may be able to
burn a DVD of
>> anything I may have recorded on the Tivo? Can
this also be done via
>> the same
> switching
>> box?
>>
>> As I am a complete novice regarding all things
electronic, I shall be
>> most grateful for any ideas couched in the most
elementary of
>> language.
>>
>> Thank you in advance.
>>
>>
>
> Depending on some specifics, you may be able to get
away with no
> switch box at all. First off, the VCR, being non-
hd capable (I
> presume this is not an HD-VCR) probably doesn't
have component
> outputs. This will be fine with S-video, if
supported, or a
> video-composite (yellow plug) if not.
>
> Second, Is the Tivo HD capable? Again, if not S-
video will be
> sufficient there as well. S-video should work in
sending a signal from
> the tivo to the dvd-player as well, as you will not
be able to record
> higher than 480i from a non-HD tivo. I dont have
Tivo, so I could be
> wrong on that one...never tried it.
>
> Third, do either of the HD capable receivers
have/support DVI output?
> I know your comcast box will, but the question
there is whether the
> port is supported. The OTA receiver, if available,
may support the
> use of DVI, in which case this solves your problem.
Use a DVI cable
> from the receiver to the tv, and component for the
DVD player and the
> other receiver.
>
> If neither of the receivers has DVI out available,
your best solution
> would be a component switch box. I do not use this
equipment, but
> theoretically, the loss experienced in a box such
as the one you
> suggested should be unnoticeable.
>
> HTH, anybody disagrees, feel free to correct my
mistakes.
>
> Matt
>
>
>

Along with what Matt said, The Samsung may have a RBG
output for HD as well. Does your Sony have a RGB HD
input?. My Direct Tivo has a output to VCR mode to
record to a VCR or DVD. Does your TIVO?
Are both component inputs on the Sony HD? Or is one
HD and one SD?

Dave
!