Disk level encryption

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.sqlserver.security,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

G/Day forum,

I've been asked to find a disk level encryption software, that will be
installed on a Windows 2000 based file server, and basically encrypt credit
card data thats
stored on disk. In this case EFS isn't sufficient.

So far I've only looked at one product: NetLib Encryptionizer DE (
http://www.netlib.com/file-encryption.shtml ). Does anyone have any opinions
on this product? Alternatives?

Regards,
Steve.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.sqlserver.security,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

PGP Disk with a 2048 bit key should do it.

--
- Mark Randall
http://zetech.swehli.com

"The Poster" <nospam@nospam_dontyoudare.net> wrote in message
> G/Day forum,
>
> I've been asked to find a disk level encryption software, that will be
> installed on a Windows 2000 based file server, and basically encrypt
> credit
> card data thats
> stored on disk. In this case EFS isn't sufficient.
>
> So far I've only looked at one product: NetLib Encryptionizer DE (
> http://www.netlib.com/file-encryption.shtml ). Does anyone have any
> opinions
> on this product? Alternatives?
>
> Regards,
> Steve.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.sqlserver.security,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

Hi

Ask the vendor if they support SQL Server on it.

Any reason why you want to encrypt the disk? If a user with the correct
permissions copies the DB off that disk, your data is open. Your backup is
open too.

Rather encrypt the data in the application before you save it into the DB.
Then only the application can get to it.

Regards
--------------------------------
Mike Epprecht, Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Zurich, Switzerland

IM: mike@epprecht.net

MVP Program: http://www.microsoft.com/mvp

Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/epprecht/

"The Poster" <nospam@nospam_dontyoudare.net> wrote in message
> G/Day forum,
>
> I've been asked to find a disk level encryption software, that will be
> installed on a Windows 2000 based file server, and basically encrypt
> credit
> card data thats
> stored on disk. In this case EFS isn't sufficient.
>
> So far I've only looked at one product: NetLib Encryptionizer DE (
> http://www.netlib.com/file-encryption.shtml ). Does anyone have any
> opinions
> on this product? Alternatives?
>
> Regards,
> Steve.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.sqlserver.security,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

Hi Mike,

The reason I want to encrypt the contents of the disk (remember its a file
server not a database server) is because its a requirement for the PCI
Credit Card security standard.

NetLib seem to lead the way when it comes to providing encryption software,
and they understand the security standard.

Regards,
Steve.

"Mike Epprecht (SQL MVP)" <mike@epprecht.net> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Ask the vendor if they support SQL Server on it.
>
> Any reason why you want to encrypt the disk? If a user with the correct
> permissions copies the DB off that disk, your data is open. Your backup is
> open too.
>
> Rather encrypt the data in the application before you save it into the DB.
> Then only the application can get to it.
>
> Regards
> --------------------------------
> Mike Epprecht, Microsoft SQL Server MVP
> Zurich, Switzerland
>
> IM: mike@epprecht.net
>
> MVP Program: http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>
> Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/epprecht/
>
> "The Poster" <nospam@nospam_dontyoudare.net> wrote in message
> > G/Day forum,
> >
> > I've been asked to find a disk level encryption software, that will be
> > installed on a Windows 2000 based file server, and basically encrypt
> > credit
> > card data thats
> > stored on disk. In this case EFS isn't sufficient.
> >
> > So far I've only looked at one product: NetLib Encryptionizer DE (
> > http://www.netlib.com/file-encryption.shtml ). Does anyone have any
> > opinions
> > on this product? Alternatives?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Steve.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.sqlserver.security (More info?)

Check out http://beyondifsolutions.com/html/catalog1.html

Excellent encryption, negligible processing overhead and affordable.