Query based security group

Hello:

Does anyone know of a way to make a security group query based? For example
I want to create a group based on the fields which are filled out on the
users account. If they are in the "Customer Service" department they will
be added to a particular group.

Harrison Midkiff
2 answers Last reply
More about query based security group

    Although a capability very close to that is available today
    in ADAM (Active Directory Application Mode) it is not
    available in today's Active Directory or nor in stand-alone
    Windows. Today that type of dynamic provisioning (and
    deprovisioning) is handled by an identity management
    systems (like MIIS from MS).
    You could also just code somethig up that runs periodically,
    or which subscribes to changes to the fields of interest.
    But remember, if you have a not purely dynamic query based
    solution, such as are none of the above mentioned except for
    ADAM, then you need to tirgger on making the membership
    when it is appropriate as well as undoing the membership
    when it ceases to be appropriate.

    --
    Roger Abell
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)

    "Harrison Midkiff" <HMidkiff@aviinc.com> wrote in message
    > Hello:
    >
    > Does anyone know of a way to make a security group query based? For
    example
    > I want to create a group based on the fields which are filled out on the
    > users account. If they are in the "Customer Service" department they will
    > be added to a particular group.
    >
    > Harrison Midkiff

    Hello Harrison,

    Thank you for using newsgroup!

    Firstly, I wan to appreciate Roger's information. Regarding the complexity
    of this requirement, we recommend Microsoft Advisory Services, a
    remotely-delivered. CSS Advisory Services is a remotely delivered, hourly
    fee-based, consultative support option that provides proactive support
    beyond your break-fix product maintenance needs like product migration,
    code review, or new program development. For more info in the
    US and Canada:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=AdvisoryService

    Outside of the US/Canada:

    http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

    Thanks & Regards,

    Ken Zhao

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    Newsgroup Web Interface Upgrade
    Please complete a one-time registration process on your first visit to the
    Partner Portal beginning July 11, 2005 at 9 A.M. PST by entering the secure
    code mspp2005 when prompted. This secure code will be valid for 6 months
    after which you will need to update your registration by entering the new
    secure code. We will post announcements in the newsgroups prior to
    expiration. Once you have entered the secure code mspp2005 , you will be
    able to update your profile and access the the partner newsgroups. Please
    update your Favorites link to the newsgroups web page, your current link
    will redirect until November 1, 2005.
    Please post any comment, questions or concerns to the
    microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback newsgroup. For more
    information, please go to:
    https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/registeredsupport/4001
    4662

    --------------------
    | From: "Harrison Midkiff" <HMidkiff@aviinc.com>
    | Subject: Query based security group
    | Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 19:22:28 -0400
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.security
    |
    | Hello:
    |
    | Does anyone know of a way to make a security group query based? For
    example
    | I want to create a group based on the fields which are filled out on the
    | users account. If they are in the "Customer Service" department they
    will
    | be added to a particular group.
    |
    | Harrison Midkiff

Security Microsoft Windows