What's the purpose of flashing GPU BIOS?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I didn't even know that can be done...
What would I gain by flashing my 8800 GTS?

Unless you need to fix a problem don't flash your card, it is certainly fast enough. I did turn an ATI X850 PRO into an X850 XT PE by doing a BIOS flash, that I pulled off an overclockers forum somewhere. I went from 12 to 16 pipelines and increased the clock speed of the GPU and memory to 540/590 respectively. I still have the slow ram that came on the card, obviously, but it seems to handle the clock increase. I had to get a Kuformula cooler, which seems to work pretty well. I could have just as easily wound up with a dead card, so caution is the word of the day. A good rule of thumb is if you can't afford to loose it don't mess with the BIOS.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
It's important top note that the x850 is one of the few cards that can actually benifit from a flash upgrade. Not every card with disabled pipelines can have those lines enabled again. Most have them lazered off or physicly dissabled in some other manor. But as mentioned it would do more harm then good to your 8800GTS.

I know, I got lucky. Apparently only the ATI branded X850 PRO could be fully modded. I'm not sure, but I got the feeling that that the other x850 supplier's cards could not get the pipelines unlocked. I didn't know that before I bought it.

Jodym2

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
I read an article I can't rember where now probably overclock.net it was about finding your Max stable over clock then using Nibitor to Mod your Bios in the Video Card to program the Values or Clocks. I have not done this I made a profile to over clock a list of programs but I don't think it works.
From what I have read the GTS's should go as fast as the GTX's as far as clock speed goes.

Poxal

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Yea you can mod the bios to load up overclock setting automaticly, but is it really worth that risk of corrupting your bios and having no card? Just use something like ati tool to apply your overclock on bootup. With ati tool you can have it load your overclock then unload the program (leaving your card overclocked).

I think those bastards started lazer cutting them....my friends would not unlock for anything....but my old one did(both built by ati) :)

In general flashing a video bios is a waste....and not worth the dead card....

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I think those bastards started lazer cutting them....my friends would not unlock for anything....but my old one did(both built by ati) :)

In general flashing a video bios is a waste....and not worth the dead card....

I got mine not too long ago when they were dumping them for $140-150. I think it has to be made by ATI though.

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Meh, flashing has advantages:

Modding the BIOS and reflashing is the only way to change the shader clock independantly from the core clock in Geforce 8 series.

Modding the BIOS can let you change the thermal warning temp.

Modding the BIOS can let you set clocks without any windows level utilities, that will stick even if you reinstall or move the GPU to another machine.

Modding the BIOS is the only way to control memory timings.

On some cards, modding the BIOS can give you more voltage without any soldering required.

On some cards, modding the BIOS can unlock pipes/ROPs/shaders

Generally its not as easy to unlock disables pipes etc anymore, so no GTS->GTX mods.

Eevn if you "kill" the card however, you can usually flash back blind or with a PCI card. (or a 2nd PCIe card with a motherboard that can take them both)