GPS PDAs

May 21, 2005 4:01:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

Is there a list somewhere of PDAs with GPS built-in? I have one now, but
rather than pay $100 to add wifi, (and have it sticking out the back, having
to swap with my storage SD card) I would like to find one with both GPS and
wifi built in, if possible.

More about : gps pdas

Anonymous
May 21, 2005 7:07:14 PM

"Edward L. Mann" <guedo_sarragucci@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is there a list somewhere of PDAs with GPS built-in? I have one now, but
> rather than pay $100 to add wifi, (and have it sticking out the back,
having
> to swap with my storage SD card) I would like to find one with both GPS
and
> wifi built in, if possible.

Garmin has one www.garmin.com, and I've had great luck with Garmin GPS
units. It'll cost you quite a bit for the PocketPC version, and the Palm
version isn't much cheaper. You also just might face the issue of
incompatibilities with other software and/or hardware.

If you can use Bluetooth, you might want to look into a Bluetooth GPS setup,
which should also connect to your computer. You might also want to look
into a high end Dell or other PocketPC, which can use both an SD card as
well as Compact Flash, and has Bluetooth built in. You could use the
Bluetooth to connect to the GPS, and still have use of both slots. You'll
also have the option of disconnecting the GPS if it interferes with your
favorite game or whatnot.

The first option would be cheaper, but probably wouldn't give you much
storage space for maps. The second would cost about the same, perhaps
slightly more, but give you more options in the end, and that's the way to
go if you really like to gadget up your gadgets.

I personally use the Garmin Emap, and keep my PocketPC for everything else.
This way I'm not hauling around an expensive and delicate (compared to the
Emap) device when driving, riding, or walking around, and the Emap even has
a clamp that fits on my handlebars. It also uses AA batteries that last
several hours, even with an external antenna, so I don't worry about having
to stop what I'm doing to charge it. This is the way to go if you feel you
will really, really depend on your GPS in the future.

Pagan
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 8:04:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

Hi,

Not mentioned in the other replies: Trimble GeoExplorer series.

Dick

--
Richard Grier (Microsoft Visual Basic MVP)

See www.hardandsoftware.net for contact information.

Author of Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications, 4th
Edition ISBN 1-890422-28-2 (391 pages) published July 2004. See
www.mabry.com/vbpgser4 to order.
May 21, 2005 11:14:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

"Edward L. Mann" <guedo_sarragucci@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is there a list somewhere of PDAs with GPS built-in? I have one now, but
> rather than pay $100 to add wifi, (and have it sticking out the back,
> having
> to swap with my storage SD card) I would like to find one with both GPS
> and
> wifi built in, if possible.

Are there no pda magazines over there? there is one in the UK with a 3
monthly one that has summaries of all/most (?) pda's (PDA Essentials air).
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 11:42:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

Hi

I think the only devices that have GPS builtin is medion and the new HP
Messenger models, as far as i know none of them has wifi built in.

--

Regards,
Allan Boegild Pedersen

"Edward L. Mann" <guedo_sarragucci@yahoo.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> Is there a list somewhere of PDAs with GPS built-in? I have one now, but
> rather than pay $100 to add wifi, (and have it sticking out the back,
> having
> to swap with my storage SD card) I would like to find one with both GPS
> and
> wifi built in, if possible.

Anonymous
May 22, 2005 1:02:34 AM

Allan Boegild Pedersen wrote:
> I think the only devices that have GPS builtin is medion and the new
> HP Messenger models, as far as i know none of them has wifi built in.

Mitac (aka Mio Technology) has Mio168 Pocket PC with integrated GPS (
http://www.mio-tech.com/ ).

Garmin also has a PDA with integrated GPS, iQue M5 (
http://www.garmin.com/products/iQueM5/ ).

--
Tero Lehto
http://lehto.net/tero/

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

I'm not aware of any current PPC that has built-in GPS and WiFi. The only
thing coming up it seems could be HPs messenger, which reports say at least
one model will have GPS, and WiFi, as well as GSM/GPRS and BT. Reports also
vary from, in a month or two, to November. It being a phone edition we may
be at the mercy of the cell provider if we don't want to mortgage the house
or provide a first born.

--
Sven
MVP - Mobile Devices
"Edward L. Mann" <guedo_sarragucci@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is there a list somewhere of PDAs with GPS built-in? I have one now, but
> rather than pay $100 to add wifi, (and have it sticking out the back,
> having
> to swap with my storage SD card) I would like to find one with both GPS
> and
> wifi built in, if possible.

Anonymous
May 22, 2005 12:10:43 PM

Sven wrote:
> I'm not aware of any current PPC that has built-in GPS and WiFi. The
> only thing coming up it seems could be HPs messenger, which reports
> say at least one model will have GPS, and WiFi, as well as GSM/GPRS
> and BT.

HP already has confirmed techical specifications of iPAQ hw6510 and hw6515.
They both have built-in GPS, but not WiFi. The difference between these
models is that hw6515 has a 1,3 megapixels camera, the hw6510 doesn't.

> Reports also vary from, in a month or two, to November. It

Official shipping estimate is June 2005 at least here in Europe.

--
Tero Lehto
http://lehto.net/tero/

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

OK so it's a 6700. maybe
http://www.slashphone.com/71/1528.html

--
Sven
MVP - Mobile Devices
"Tero Lehto" <tero.lehto@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Sven wrote:
>> I'm not aware of any current PPC that has built-in GPS and WiFi. The
>> only thing coming up it seems could be HPs messenger, which reports
>> say at least one model will have GPS, and WiFi, as well as GSM/GPRS
>> and BT.
>
> HP already has confirmed techical specifications of iPAQ hw6510 and
> hw6515. They both have built-in GPS, but not WiFi. The difference between
> these models is that hw6515 has a 1,3 megapixels camera, the hw6510
> doesn't.
>
>> Reports also vary from, in a month or two, to November. It
>
> Official shipping estimate is June 2005 at least here in Europe.
>
> --
> Tero Lehto
> http://lehto.net/tero/

Anonymous
May 22, 2005 1:54:52 PM

"Sven" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> OK so it's a 6700. maybe
> http://www.slashphone.com/71/1528.html
>
> --
> Sven
> MVP - Mobile Devices
> "Tero Lehto" <tero.lehto@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Sven wrote:
> >> I'm not aware of any current PPC that has built-in GPS and WiFi. The
> >> only thing coming up it seems could be HPs messenger, which reports
> >> say at least one model will have GPS, and WiFi, as well as GSM/GPRS
> >> and BT.

..

> > HP already has confirmed techical specifications of iPAQ hw6510 and
> > hw6515. They both have built-in GPS, but not WiFi. The difference
between
> > these models is that hw6515 has a 1,3 megapixels camera, the hw6510
> > doesn't.

Yeah, but is this a "real" GPS, or the vaunted GPS "capability"
that you see advertised as a "feature" on so many cellphones?

This GPS "capability" of fones, last time I checked, was NOT user
accessible (i.e. available through the WinCE API so you can actually
do something with it), only accessible by the wireless provider for
emergency situations, and hardly implemented anywhere (by the
wireless provider).

I haven't followed up on this for awhile, and things may have
changed.

Anybody have specific info (NOT vaporware promises) that this
really exists (pointers to programming examples of products that
exist NOW that can do this)?

> >> Reports also vary from, in a month or two, to November. It
> >
> > Official shipping estimate is June 2005 at least here in Europe.
> >
> > --
> > Tero Lehto
> > http://lehto.net/tero/

Anonymous
May 22, 2005 6:28:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

Well I would say since the specs show TomTom as included software
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/sm/WF06a/21675-216...
and the start menu includes GPS Navigation
http://www.slashphone.com/news//?m=show&id=1711&page=3
It's a real GPS.
Now whether you can get Pocket Streets or Mapopolis to use it is another
question. I hope it's not integrated so tightly with TomTom that other
programs can't get to the data. I would hope that the GPS appears as a
virtual comm port, and TomTom releases the port if it's not running.

--
Sven
MVP - Mobile Devices
"V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net> wrote in message
news:o hVKq4uXFHA.3864@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> "Sven" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> OK so it's a 6700. maybe
>> http://www.slashphone.com/71/1528.html
>>
>> --
>> Sven
>> MVP - Mobile Devices
>> "Tero Lehto" <tero.lehto@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> .
>> >
>> > HP already has confirmed techical specifications of iPAQ hw6510 and
>> > hw6515. They both have built-in GPS, but not WiFi. The difference
> between
>> > these models is that hw6515 has a 1,3 megapixels camera, the hw6510
>> > doesn't.
>
> Yeah, but is this a "real" GPS, or the vaunted GPS "capability"
> that you see advertised as a "feature" on so many cellphones?
>
> This GPS "capability" of fones, last time I checked, was NOT user
> accessible (i.e. available through the WinCE API so you can actually
> do something with it), only accessible by the wireless provider for
> emergency situations, and hardly implemented anywhere (by the
> wireless provider).
>
> I haven't followed up on this for awhile, and things may have
> changed.
>
> Anybody have specific info (NOT vaporware promises) that this
> really exists (pointers to programming examples of products that
> exist NOW that can do this)?

>> > Official shipping estimate is June 2005 at least here in Europe.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Tero Lehto
>> > http://lehto.net/tero/

Anonymous
May 25, 2005 7:51:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

Yeah, and the idea of merging my PDA with my cell phone service gives me the
willies.

1) Those cell providers are always finding new ways to fleece you for the
services they deliver. For example, instant messenging - costs them much
less than a phonecall, yet they charge 5 cents per 50 character IM - which
is equivalent to about $1000 to transmit one average webpage.
2) I don't like the idea of having to worry that listening to MP3s on my PDA
is going to drain my battery, leaving me without a phone. (and vice-versa)
3) I don't like the fact that cell phone PDAs tend to have a smaller screen.

!