What is an attractive Indoor analog (VHF/UHF) antenna?

Last response: in Home Theatre
August 10, 2004 12:46:59 AM

There are a few stations in my area that don't broadcast digital signals yet
but I still would like to watch them. Can anybody recommend a nice looking
indoor antenna designed for analog TV signals? I already have a Zenith
silver sensor for DTV but it just doesn't do the job when it comes to the
analog stations.

BTW, I used to have an amplified antenna from radio shack that worked great
but it got too ugly from being repaired over the years.

THANKS!
--Dan
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 12:47:00 AM

dg wrote:

> There are a few stations in my area that don't broadcast digital signals yet
> but I still would like to watch them. Can anybody recommend a nice looking
> indoor antenna designed for analog TV signals? I already have a Zenith
> silver sensor for DTV but it just doesn't do the job when it comes to the
> analog stations.
>
> BTW, I used to have an amplified antenna from radio shack that worked great
> but it got too ugly from being repaired over the years.
>
> THANKS!
> --Dan

Dan they're a nice outdoor UHF antennas that can be used indoors.
i.e.: Channel Master 3021 4 bay bow tie....

UHF, ultra high frequency implies 'small in size'

VHF, Very high frequency implies 'huge in size'

Most Digital HD TV stations are UHF.. small antenna reqd.
Most Analog SD TV stations are VHF.. huge antenna reqd.

So for Analog TV, there are no small, nice indoor antennas.

See http://www.channelmaster.com under products available.
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 1:47:34 AM

"dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in

> There are a few stations in my area that don't broadcast digital
> signals yet but I still would like to watch them. Can anybody
> recommend a nice looking indoor antenna designed for analog TV
> signals? I already have a Zenith silver sensor for DTV but it just
> doesn't do the job when it comes to the analog stations.
>
> BTW, I used to have an amplified antenna from radio shack that worked
> great but it got too ugly from being repaired over the years.
>
> THANKS!
> --Dan

Dan, there is no such thing as an analog antenna and a digital antenna.
There is, however, a UHF and a VHF antenna. Most of the analog stations are
on the VHF channels, and most of the digital channels are in the UHF area.
The Silver Sensor is a UHF antenna. Hope this clears things up a little so
you can decide what to do next.

Dave
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 2:18:34 AM

"dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in

> There are a few stations in my area that don't broadcast digital
> signals yet but I still would like to watch them. Can anybody
> recommend a nice looking indoor antenna designed for analog TV
> signals? I already have a Zenith silver sensor for DTV but it just
> doesn't do the job when it comes to the analog stations.

Any antenna that is good for digital should also be good for analog. Now
it may be that your analog signals are mostly VHF, while the digital are
UHF. UHF signals will penetrate a building better than analog (the
building wiring and pipes have more wavelengths of space between them at
the shorter wavelength of UHF). Aluminum siding is murder on all
signals, though!

> BTW, I used to have an amplified antenna from radio shack that worked
> great but it got too ugly from being repaired over the years.

If you haven't moved, then perhaps you can find a similar antenna that
does UHF as well and then you'll be able to use just one. I have a very
simple set of rabbit ears with a UHF loop (just so I can see what's out
there). It's probably better used for FM radio than for TV, as the only
channel I get with any real clarity is 14 (which is the French CBC for
Vancouver). For now, it's either satellite (which I'm using) from the
back balcony of my apartment, or cable for me.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667

August 10, 2004 4:22:39 AM

>Can anybody recommend a nice looking
> indoor antenna designed for analog TV signals?

Basic Cable
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 1:34:47 PM

> Dan they're a nice outdoor UHF antennas that can be used indoors.
> i.e.: Channel Master 3021 4 bay bow tie....

This looks like a UHF antenna only

Could it possibly be used for VHF analog as well
anyway?
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 6:44:08 PM

me6@privacy.net wrote:

> > Dan they're a nice outdoor UHF antennas that can be used indoors.
> > i.e.: Channel Master 3021 4 bay bow tie....
>
> This looks like a UHF antenna only
>
> Could it possibly be used for VHF analog as well
> anyway?

I just ran a VHF Test on my 'indoor' plant hook

Channel Master 3021 UHF 'canary cage' style antenna....

VHF frequencies are channels 2 thru 13;

All VHF Towers are 9 to 10 miles away....

Channel 2 Analog Snowy Picture.. Not Good

Channel 5 Analog Grainy Picture .. Bearable

Channel 11 Analog Nice Picture... OK

Since Channel 2 is Far from UHF frequencies

and Channel 11 is closer to UHF... The

results are as expected....

All 4 Analog UHF Channels were perfect using CM

3021 except for 2 low power Religious stations.

By the way it took me 5 minutes to find & change

the Sony UHF/VHF menu for Cable in to Antenna in...
!