Should I purchase my pc parts off of newegg or compusa?

jtaskew91

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
I was going to buy all the components for my new PC from newegg due to their fast shipping, great deals, and return policy.

But, I'm tempted to buy from compusa because it would be much faster for me to drive down to compusa to replace a defective part rather then ship one back to newegg.

So my questions are: Is compusa's return policy as reliable as it seems? And does newegg or compusa have a restocking fee for replacing DOA parts? Who should I go with??

Thank you

tecmo34

Administrator
I understand the easy of use by going to your local CompUSA, but I would recommend Newegg. It has better choices and prices than CompUSA. Their return policy is good but just take a little longer since you have to ship it back. :D

jtaskew91

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011

I was at compusa yesterday and all of their prices matched neweggs for the components I'm getting (I'm actually saving $15 on HDD). My decision is mainly depending on both newegg and compusa's return policies. Mostly looking for peoples personal experiences with compusa's return policies. But thx for the input nonetheless :)

Bulky items like cases, and low cost items like DVD drives, I buy local. MicroCenter has the best prices on CPUs for walk-in customers. Other high value items like motherboards, RAM, Graphics cards, I buy from Newegg.

Items under $25 are economically hard to RMA because of shipping costs and the customary 15% re-stocking fees. Local is preferable in such instances.

+1 -- I always compare the shipped price from Newegg with the After Tax price locally to see which offers the best deal -- depending on the urgency (if the part is neeeded to get the system running I'll buy local since Newegg uses UPS and they only start residential deliveries after 5PM in my area and usually it winds up being after 7PM for delivery on the promised day.

The ease and cost of returns and RMAs play an important role in my buying preferences; local or Newegg.

TRENDING THREADS