Geforce 8600 AGP...

Talon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
Very cool, and I just broke down couple weeks ago and bought the 1950Pro. Hmm ebay maybe or just a new build and go with PCI-E in the summer. Decisions decisions.

To aBg_rOnGak:

I'm in the same boat in a way. Have old 3.2ghz P4 Northwood which should OC better than it does but my MSI mobo is holding it back. The mobo is hella stable at stock or very slightly oc'd but if you push much at all it gets unstable fast. Oh well something to be said for stability I guess anyway. I doubt my 3.2 will hold an 8600 AGP back much at the resolution I play anyway.

Looks like good times ahead for AGP, it might be twitching but its not dead yet ! :D

Dr_asik

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Depends on its price. The X1950Pro is already difficult to reccomend in many cases. I don't see someone with a A64 3000+ AGP with an FX5900 will want to invest 250$ on a video card.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
That'd make some diehard AGPers happy. :)

http://www.theinquirer.org/default.aspx?article=37790

Thanks for the link. I owned AGP for many years and I always wanted a good card that can fit that slot. I think now there are just too many bottlenecks.
If I still have AGP now, then I'll be happy to :D

(From what little I know about the 8600, it should blow the doors off the 7600 GT)

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Nice. It'll be interesting to see where it compares performance wise to it's PCI-E brothers.

I am fairly sure the PCI-e and AGP versions will perform the same if all else is the same. I've never seen a PCIe card run faster yet.

kaotao

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
Yeah I know, but they're saying it's supposed to replace the 7600GS, so it makes me wonder if they'll have an "Ultra" flavor for AGP.

Yeah I replied to this in the other thread;

CLICKY

I don't think this will be a GF8600, I think it's slated to be a GF8300-8400 more than anything. Likely won't game better than the GF7800GS or X1950P that are out there now. To me it's geared at the HTPC and OEM upgrade market.

We'll see, but I still think this is a counter-productive action and a step back from where ATi and nV want to go, and it's likely more of a PR thing to be able to say "AGP DX10" etc. But that would be like ATi crowing about the X1300 on PCI, who cares, even for servers. Heck even PCI makes more sense because of those st00pid eMachine rigs that have no AGP or PCI slot, but overall AGP should just be dropped. This is just another driver problem to add to the list of many IMO, why would you even want to intro AGP to the DX10 driver crew? Don't they have enough work?

Luddite!

ludditeij5.jpg

agpsuxsn1.jpg

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
I can also see a brick and mortar angle here as well. How many AGP cards do you see floating around BestBuy still? Now how many AGP cards with the words Windows Vista (I'd say DX10, but average BestBuy shoppers don't know what that is) plastered all over it do you see?