Auto Login Logout

My company's using a Windows 2000 server, and all our workstations are either
installed with Windows 98 or Windows XP. Is there any way to make a user log
out by itself? And also likewise, is there any method to make a user login by
itself? Perhaps writing command prompt or some script? Or configuring the
regedit? Thank you.
6 answers Last reply
More about auto login logout

    Hi,

    Auto Logon is something that I would have to advise against. Still if this
    is something you really want to do here is how.

    How to turn on automatic logon in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315231

    --
    Mike
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Security

    "wrytat" <wrytat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My company's using a Windows 2000 server, and all our workstations are
    > either
    > installed with Windows 98 or Windows XP. Is there any way to make a user
    > log
    > out by itself? And also likewise, is there any method to make a user login
    > by
    > itself? Perhaps writing command prompt or some script? Or configuring the
    > regedit? Thank you.

    What about logging on an account using command prompt? Is there such a way?
    Thank you.

    "Miha Pihler [MVP]" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Auto Logon is something that I would have to advise against. Still if this
    > is something you really want to do here is how.
    >
    > How to turn on automatic logon in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315231
    >
    > --
    > Mike
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows Security
    >
    > "wrytat" <wrytat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My company's using a Windows 2000 server, and all our workstations are
    > > either
    > > installed with Windows 98 or Windows XP. Is there any way to make a user
    > > log
    > > out by itself? And also likewise, is there any method to make a user login
    > > by
    > > itself? Perhaps writing command prompt or some script? Or configuring the
    > > regedit? Thank you.

    Or is there a way to prevent it from auto logging on after logging off. That
    is, the system only login automatically after restarting the computer. Thank
    you.

    "wrytat" wrote:

    > What about logging on an account using command prompt? Is there such a way?
    > Thank you.
    >
    > "Miha Pihler [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Auto Logon is something that I would have to advise against. Still if this
    > > is something you really want to do here is how.
    > >
    > > How to turn on automatic logon in Windows XP
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315231
    > >
    > > --
    > > Mike
    > > Microsoft MVP - Windows Security
    > >
    > > "wrytat" <wrytat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > My company's using a Windows 2000 server, and all our workstations are
    > > > either
    > > > installed with Windows 98 or Windows XP. Is there any way to make a user
    > > > log
    > > > out by itself? And also likewise, is there any method to make a user login
    > > > by
    > > > itself? Perhaps writing command prompt or some script? Or configuring the
    > > > regedit? Thank you.

    This should help you with logon

    >> > How to turn on automatic logon in Windows XP
    >> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315231

    There are some options with logout -- but you need to tell me under what
    conditions users will be logged out?

    If I think as attacker, I would love your network. Even if I run into locked
    computer all I need to do it restart it and I am logged in :-).

    --

    > Or is there a way to prevent it from auto logging on after logging off.
    > That
    > is, the system only login automatically after restarting the computer.
    > Thank
    > you.
    >
    > "wrytat" wrote:
    >
    >> What about logging on an account using command prompt? Is there such a
    >> way?
    >> Thank you.
    >>
    >> "Miha Pihler [MVP]" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > Auto Logon is something that I would have to advise against. Still if
    >> > this
    >> > is something you really want to do here is how.
    >> >
    >> > How to turn on automatic logon in Windows XP
    >> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315231
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Mike
    >> > Microsoft MVP - Windows Security
    >> >
    >> > "wrytat" <wrytat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Yes, I tried this method and it works. But the problem is it keeps logging on
    to the same account, even after I log out. I wish to make it such that when I
    log out, it won't log in again.

    Actually, is there a way for me to help someone login with the account using
    command prompt? My main motive of this is like this. I want to log out all
    the users when I am doing a system backup, and help them log in again after
    backup.

    Thank you.

    "Miha Pihler [MVP]" wrote:

    > This should help you with logon

    > There are some options with logout -- but you need to tell me under what
    > conditions users will be logged out?
    >
    > If I think as attacker, I would love your network. Even if I run into locked
    > computer all I need to do it restart it and I am logged in :-).
    >
    > --
    > Mike
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows Security
    >
    > "wrytat" <wrytat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Or is there a way to prevent it from auto logging on after logging off.
    > > That
    > > is, the system only login automatically after restarting the computer.
    > > Thank
    > > you.
    > >
    > > "wrytat" wrote:
    > >
    > >> What about logging on an account using command prompt? Is there such a
    > >> way?
    > >> Thank you.

    It would be quite difficult to do what you would like.

    Why would you want to logout people when doing backup? You can simply
    schedule a backup at off hours (e.g. after 5 pm)?

    --

    > Yes, I tried this method and it works. But the problem is it keeps logging
    > on
    > to the same account, even after I log out. I wish to make it such that
    > when I
    > log out, it won't log in again.
    >
    > Actually, is there a way for me to help someone login with the account
    > using
    > command prompt? My main motive of this is like this. I want to log out all
    > the users when I am doing a system backup, and help them log in again
    > after
    > backup.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > "Miha Pihler [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> This should help you with logon

    >> There are some options with logout -- but you need to tell me under what
    >> conditions users will be logged out?
    >>
    >> If I think as attacker, I would love your network. Even if I run into
    >> locked
    >> computer all I need to do it restart it and I am logged in :-).
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike
    >> Microsoft MVP - Windows Security
    >>
    >> "wrytat" <wrytat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Or is there a way to prevent it from auto logging on after logging off.
    >> > That
    >> > is, the system only login automatically after restarting the computer.
    >> > Thank
    >> > you.

Login Windows