Auto Login Logout

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
July 26, 2005 3:40:02 AM

My company's using a Windows 2000 server, and all our workstations are either
installed with Windows 98 or Windows XP. Is there any way to make a user log
out by itself? And also likewise, is there any method to make a user login by
itself? Perhaps writing command prompt or some script? Or configuring the
regedit? Thank you.

More about : auto login logout

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 10:38:27 PM

Hi,

Auto Logon is something that I would have to advise against. Still if this
is something you really want to do here is how.

How to turn on automatic logon in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315231

--
Mike
Microsoft MVP - Windows Security

"wrytat" <wrytat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My company's using a Windows 2000 server, and all our workstations are
> either
> installed with Windows 98 or Windows XP. Is there any way to make a user
> log
> out by itself? And also likewise, is there any method to make a user login
> by
> itself? Perhaps writing command prompt or some script? Or configuring the
> regedit? Thank you.
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 10:38:28 PM

What about logging on an account using command prompt? Is there such a way?
Thank you.

"Miha Pihler [MVP]" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Auto Logon is something that I would have to advise against. Still if this
> is something you really want to do here is how.
>
> How to turn on automatic logon in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315231
>
> --
> Mike
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Security
>
> "wrytat" <wrytat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My company's using a Windows 2000 server, and all our workstations are
> > either
> > installed with Windows 98 or Windows XP. Is there any way to make a user
> > log
> > out by itself? And also likewise, is there any method to make a user login
> > by
> > itself? Perhaps writing command prompt or some script? Or configuring the
> > regedit? Thank you.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 10:38:29 PM

Or is there a way to prevent it from auto logging on after logging off. That
is, the system only login automatically after restarting the computer. Thank
you.

"wrytat" wrote:

> What about logging on an account using command prompt? Is there such a way?
> Thank you.
>
> "Miha Pihler [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Auto Logon is something that I would have to advise against. Still if this
> > is something you really want to do here is how.
> >
> > How to turn on automatic logon in Windows XP
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315231
> >
> > --
> > Mike
> > Microsoft MVP - Windows Security
> >
> > "wrytat" <wrytat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > My company's using a Windows 2000 server, and all our workstations are
> > > either
> > > installed with Windows 98 or Windows XP. Is there any way to make a user
> > > log
> > > out by itself? And also likewise, is there any method to make a user login
> > > by
> > > itself? Perhaps writing command prompt or some script? Or configuring the
> > > regedit? Thank you.

Anonymous
July 27, 2005 11:15:20 PM

This should help you with logon

>> > How to turn on automatic logon in Windows XP
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315231

There are some options with logout -- but you need to tell me under what
conditions users will be logged out?

If I think as attacker, I would love your network. Even if I run into locked
computer all I need to do it restart it and I am logged in :-).

--

> Or is there a way to prevent it from auto logging on after logging off.
> That
> is, the system only login automatically after restarting the computer.
> Thank
> you.
>
> "wrytat" wrote:
>
>> What about logging on an account using command prompt? Is there such a
>> way?
>> Thank you.
>>
>> "Miha Pihler [MVP]" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Auto Logon is something that I would have to advise against. Still if
>> > this
>> > is something you really want to do here is how.
>> >
>> > How to turn on automatic logon in Windows XP
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315231
>> >
>> > --
>> > Mike
>> > Microsoft MVP - Windows Security
>> >
>> > "wrytat" <wrytat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 27, 2005 11:15:21 PM

Yes, I tried this method and it works. But the problem is it keeps logging on
to the same account, even after I log out. I wish to make it such that when I
log out, it won't log in again.

Actually, is there a way for me to help someone login with the account using
command prompt? My main motive of this is like this. I want to log out all
the users when I am doing a system backup, and help them log in again after
backup.

Thank you.

"Miha Pihler [MVP]" wrote:

> This should help you with logon

> There are some options with logout -- but you need to tell me under what
> conditions users will be logged out?
>
> If I think as attacker, I would love your network. Even if I run into locked
> computer all I need to do it restart it and I am logged in :-).
>
> --
> Mike
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Security
>
> "wrytat" <wrytat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Or is there a way to prevent it from auto logging on after logging off.
> > That
> > is, the system only login automatically after restarting the computer.
> > Thank
> > you.
> >
> > "wrytat" wrote:
> >
> >> What about logging on an account using command prompt? Is there such a
> >> way?
> >> Thank you.

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 2:30:15 PM

It would be quite difficult to do what you would like.

Why would you want to logout people when doing backup? You can simply
schedule a backup at off hours (e.g. after 5 pm)?

--

!