Sign in with
Your question

SCSI Hard Drive Upgrade Question

Last response: in Storage
February 22, 2007 2:16:56 PM

we have an old server that we want to get back up and running to store digital photos on and the existing hard drive is only 36.7 GB and i want to upgrade it to something bigger. the specs on the existing hard drive is:

Quantum
3.5 Series
36.7 Ultra3 (U160) SCSI
68 pin

i've been looking on ebay and i've found a hard drive that i think will work but i was wondering if someone can confirm that it will be compatible. the only thing i see that may be a problem is that the transfer rate is 320 which is double that of my existing one (i think). i'm kinda green on this subject and just wanted someone to confirm that the computer will be compatible with it. and maybe i have to upgrade the scsi cable in the computer too, i dunno, any help would be appreciated, thx

if you need to know more about the computer please let me know what you need to know.

here is the link to the auction if you want to check it out:

HardDrive

More about : scsi hard drive upgrade question

February 22, 2007 3:03:39 PM

Just out of curiousity, is this like your current drive?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Quantum-Atlas-10K-III-36-70GB-3-5-S...

But to answer your question, SCSI U320 will drop down to U160 when needed, those two speeds are compatible with each other. I've got a U320 drive on a U160 cable with a U160 card, so the whole thing runs at U160. Likewise, you should be fine.
February 22, 2007 4:11:53 PM

here's what the current one looks like

Related resources
February 22, 2007 4:24:32 PM

It was that little word on the sticker that I was curious about, namely "Atlas". Those were the 10000 RPM drives as far as I know. If you had a 15000 one before, and you were looking at a 10K now, I was just going to give you the heads up that it would be slower, although that wouldn't matter since you seem to want to use it just as a storage dump of sorts. Anyways, that's my curiousity satisfied, and my answer to your question remains as it was before that a new U320 drive will drop to U160 without any problems. :) 
Good luck!
February 22, 2007 4:44:05 PM

mmm, i just found a 300GB one, do you know if Windows NT can see 300GB? i wasn't sure if there was a limit to the amount of hard drive space Windows NT can see/use

here is the link:

300GB Hard Drive
February 22, 2007 4:48:22 PM

Well I was always under the impression that the whole "not seeing" the whole drive was a motherboard/drive controller issue rather than an operating system one, but hopefully someone will come along and either confirm that or say I'm an idiot.

Sorry, never used NT myself.
February 22, 2007 4:59:35 PM

ok, thanks for all your info, i really appreciate your help!
!