chewster77

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
we have an old server that we want to get back up and running to store digital photos on and the existing hard drive is only 36.7 GB and i want to upgrade it to something bigger. the specs on the existing hard drive is:

Quantum
3.5 Series
36.7 Ultra3 (U160) SCSI
68 pin

i've been looking on ebay and i've found a hard drive that i think will work but i was wondering if someone can confirm that it will be compatible. the only thing i see that may be a problem is that the transfer rate is 320 which is double that of my existing one (i think). i'm kinda green on this subject and just wanted someone to confirm that the computer will be compatible with it. and maybe i have to upgrade the scsi cable in the computer too, i dunno, any help would be appreciated, thx

if you need to know more about the computer please let me know what you need to know.

here is the link to the auction if you want to check it out:

HardDrive

Fedor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007

chewster77

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
here's what the current one looks like

onect9.jpg

Fedor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
It was that little word on the sticker that I was curious about, namely "Atlas". Those were the 10000 RPM drives as far as I know. If you had a 15000 one before, and you were looking at a 10K now, I was just going to give you the heads up that it would be slower, although that wouldn't matter since you seem to want to use it just as a storage dump of sorts. Anyways, that's my curiousity satisfied, and my answer to your question remains as it was before that a new U320 drive will drop to U160 without any problems. :)
Good luck!

Fedor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
Well I was always under the impression that the whole "not seeing" the whole drive was a motherboard/drive controller issue rather than an operating system one, but hopefully someone will come along and either confirm that or say I'm an idiot.

Sorry, never used NT myself.