Is hd video card 4650 compatible with windows 7?

bruceled

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
I installed a Radeon ATI XFX HD 4650 PCI, 2DDR, 1gig, video card into my vista desktop 3 months ago, and it worked perfectly. I only needed it to run 2 mintors a dvi and a vga. Yesterday I attempted to install Windows 7 and both screens went black.The device manager was unable to locate any video cards at all (the original had been removed). I called Dell, and they told me that the card was not recognized, and therefore not compatible with "7". Then I called Radeon, and they said it was definitely compatible. The bottom line is I had to do a system restore to get back to Vista where all worked well again. i really need "7". HELP! bruceled@yahoo.com

First of all, don't post your email here. You will feel the wrath of the spammers very soon.

Your 4650 most definitely is compatible with Windows 7. If you have a spare hard drive available (or if you can borrow one from a friend that they don't need) wipe it out and do a clean install of 7. See what happens. In-place upgrades, while not specifically prone to these kinds of issues, do carry with them a higher risk of problems in general, manifesting in many different ways.