Can't open domain security policy in AD when primary domai..

Hello,

I run into this problem when my primary ad server is turned off, i
can't no longer access domain security policy on my second domain
controller(same domain), i kept getting "Failed to open the Group
Policy Object. You may not have the appropriate rights and The
specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted." Once
i turned on my first domain controller, it worked. I am going to fdisk
my first domain controller, but like to figure out why I can't open
security policy on my second controller first. Both server are global
category servers.

Please help, thank you very much.

-anthony
7 answers Last reply
More about open domain security policy primary domai

    Which server is the DNS server?

    hth
    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

    "miserable_man" <news_subscriber@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I run into this problem when my primary ad server is turned off, i
    > can't no longer access domain security policy on my second domain
    > controller(same domain), i kept getting "Failed to open the Group
    > Policy Object. You may not have the appropriate rights and The
    > specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted." Once
    > i turned on my first domain controller, it worked. I am going to fdisk
    > my first domain controller, but like to figure out why I can't open
    > security policy on my second controller first. Both server are global
    > category servers.
    >
    > Please help, thank you very much.
    >
    > -anthony

    Hello Danny,

    Both servers are configured as DNS servers for my domain.

    Thank you,
    Anthony

    The server that is pointing to itself for DNS first then primary server
    for alternate dns.

    Thank You,
    Anthony

    Does the server that you are having problems with point to itself for DNS?

    > Hello Danny,
    >
    > Both servers are configured as DNS servers for my domain.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Anthony

    Are there any event IDs that correspond to the time you try to open the GP?

    > The server that is pointing to itself for DNS first then primary server
    > for alternate dns.
    >
    > Thank You,
    > Anthony

    no, unfortunately not.

    -anthony
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

    Hi

    If your Primary AD is down can you even logon to the domain from a client? If
    not it may be you need to make you "backup" DC a global catalogue, from
    memory (which admittedly is hazy) I am pretty sure you need a GC available
    to logon

    hence the

    "You may not have the appropriate rights and The
    specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted"

    you encounter when trying to auth to the domain

    AD sites and services is where you would make the second DC a GC , might be
    worth a try

    Caveat: this is assuming your DNS config has been checked and is working
    correctly :-)

    Regards

    miserable_man wrote:
    >no, unfortunately not.
    >
    >-anthony

Policy Security Domain Domain Controller Servers Windows