halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
I have yet to read the thread and will do so soon. However, why the hell did you start a new thread just to refer to another one? You could have just bumped the old one. :roll:

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
It's an odd question kinda. If everyone was careful never to discuss an aspect present in another thread, there should be about 40-50 thread in the cpu forum in a year, and no more.

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
You missed the point. You STARTED a new thread that contained nothing but a LINK to ANOTHER ONE. Just discuss it in that thread. People start new threads about stuff that's been discussed do so because they DON'T KNOW about the original. Yet here you are starting a new thread with NO PURPOSE other that to TELL US ABOUT ANOTHER ONE.

Viperabyss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Only if you plan on not upgrading, never overclocking, and buying premium DDR2-800.
i totally agree. if you take a look at the comments left by those ppl who purchased E6300 on newegg, you'll find that the majority of them actually overclocked them at least to more than 2.0Ghz. from a performance/price point of view, if you're planning to overclock E6300, then E6300 is a much much better buy than X2 4600.

P.S. when i first saw this thread, i thought it was made by our respectful Baronmatrix.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
You missed the point. You STARTED a new thread that contained nothing but a LINK to ANOTHER ONE. Just discuss it in that thread. People start new threads about stuff that's been discussed do so because they DON'T KNOW about the original. Yet here you are starting a new thread with NO PURPOSE other that to TELL US ABOUT ANOTHER ONE.
halbhh just likes starting threads. It makes him feel smart. There's another guy on here who does that... lewisbaseball07...he creates nothing threads as well. :roll:

flasher702

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
e4300 is a better buy than both! Get with the times people :p

I had to explain this to half a dozen people at the LAN party I went to this weekend. They kept going on and on about e6300 and e6400 and I was somewhat surpised I was the one there with the most current knowlege of CPU scene. I was also the ONLY one with a SFF computer and one of the few that didn't have heat related problems when the ambient tempurature in the room topped 30c (go me! When the token hot chick at the party says "nice computer" it's all worth it ;). Athought, to be fair, I modded my case and had a front-panel LCD tempurature displaying my HSF temp and clocked my CPU down when the number started to get scary (42c under the HSF, 45c core) but SFFs do especially well compared to larger cases in situations with high ambient temps as they cycle air through the case much faster with fewer ways for the airflow to get screwed up.

Back on topic:
The allendale core is superior. The e4300 has a higher multiplier. The e4300 is cheaper. With a decent motherboard and ddr2-667 clocking an e4300 to 2.9ghz with only slight voltage bumps appears to be normal using only high-end air HSF. Clocking to 2.4ghz with ddr2-533 and no voltage increases with stock HSF also appears to be normal. Am I incorrect? Can e6300 beat that?

I would definately take the time to point out that an OEM x2 3600+ brisbane and mobo combo (that reportedly clocks to 2.5 - 2.9ghz with DDR2-800 (one of our formumz residents is reporting 2.8ghz) is cheaper than an e4300 alone. I wouldn't call it a "better buy" without first referencing benchmarks of both chips OCed (which I don't have), but it's ~$100 difference between the two after you combine them with a decent OCing mobo (but before you factor in the RAM and HSF) and that's something to seriously consider. $100 extra for a GPU or more RAM will kick the crap out of a few more percentages of processing power in a lot of situations.
$95 x2 3600+ before combo deal

So yeah, if you want to compare what the hot buys in mid-range dual-core CPUs are right now it's Allendale vs. Brisbane, not Conroe vs. Windsor. Unless you're buying something on sale or shopping the high end they are just better AND cheaper than their previous generation.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006

Actually, the idea of *any* processor becoming better than the e6300 in some regards for budget builders who want more than low end performance is significant.

This was *not* the topic of the other thread!

The e6300 has reigned in several ways for quite a while regarding price/performance, general vaue, etc. Now that is less true, and not true for many people, who simply do not have an interest in overclocking (yes, there are plenty of people who just don't care to).

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
e4300 is a better buy than both! Get with the times people :p

I had to explain this to half a dozen people at the LAN party I went to this weekend. They kept going on and on about e6300 and e6400 and I was somewhat surpised I was the one there with the most current knowlege of CPU scene. I was also the ONLY one with a SFF computer and one of the few that didn't have heat related problems when the ambient tempurature in the room topped 30c (go me! When the token hot chick at the party says "nice computer" it's all worth it ;). Athought, to be fair, I modded my case and had a front-panel LCD tempurature displaying my HSF temp and clocked my CPU down when the number started to get scary (42c under the HSF, 45c core) but SFFs do especially well compared to larger cases in situations with high ambient temps as they cycle air through the case much faster with fewer ways for the airflow to get screwed up.

Back on topic:
The allendale core is superior. The e4300 has a higher multiplier. The e4300 is cheaper. With a decent motherboard and ddr2-667 clocking an e4300 to 2.9ghz with only slight voltage bumps appears to be normal using only high-end air HSF. Clocking to 2.4ghz with ddr2-533 and no voltage increases with stock HSF also appears to be normal. Am I incorrect? Can e6300 beat that?

I would definately take the time to point out that an OEM x2 3600+ brisbane and mobo combo (that reportedly clocks to 2.5 - 2.9ghz with DDR2-800 (one of our formumz residents is reporting 2.8ghz) is cheaper than an e4300 alone. I wouldn't call it a "better buy" without first referencing benchmarks of both chips OCed (which I don't have), but it's ~$100 difference between the two after you combine them with a decent OCing mobo (but before you factor in the RAM and HSF) and that's something to seriously consider. $100 extra for a GPU or more RAM will kick the crap out of a few more percentages of processing power in a lot of situations.
$95 x2 3600+ before combo deal

So yeah, if you want to compare what the hot buys in mid-range dual-core CPUs are right now it's Allendale vs. Brisbane, not Conroe vs. Windsor. Unless you're buying something on sale or shopping the high end they are just better AND cheaper than their previous generation.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Nice post. I don't agree with the [next to] last paragraph, because what you point out just above it re the $100 is actually quite meaningful to many, who just don't have money laying around.

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
funny to see some of the posts here when there are mutiple redundant threads about both the price war

and multiple redundant threads about prices in Q2

while this thread topic isn't the graphs, but about the e6300 losing some of it's advantages, and so is not redundant.