Randomly turns off

hrdt0kil

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
My computer sometimes turns off randomly and when it is off it wont turn on again. Sometimes when I unplug the power supply for a few minutes then plug it back in it will work again for a while. I only think I can think of is that maybe the power supply is dying but then again I dont know much about the workings of the computer. Its a Rosewill and the computer is not overclocked, please help if you can. Thanks.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
PSU is most likely on it's way out. Does it happen when you load a graphics intensive program? What are your system specs?

Probably will be needing a new PSU, hopefully it lasts long enough for a new one to arrive :wink: Don't want it taking half your system with it when it makes the final leap 8O

hrdt0kil

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
PSU stands for power supply right? It just happens when I am doing anything like surfing the net or something. However, when I tried to start CoD2 today it turned off right when I got into the game. And are you saying it could damage the rest of my system when it dies for good??

MSI nforce 4 SLI mobo
Radeon X850 64mb(i think)
Athlon XP 3500+
2gb memory

whats a good PSU to buy?

hrdt0kil

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Do you guys think I should get one that is higher wattage if I plan on updating my graphics card and CPU to play next generation games like crysis? Thanks for all the feedback by the way.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Yeah, I suggest the FSP (Fortron Source Power) PSU (Power Supply Unit) that apt403 recommended. They make (in my opinion) the best PSUs for budget systems.

Yes, I was saying that when your PSU finally dies, it can damage components in your system. I have heard of nothing getting damaged, just a motherboard, just a CPU, just mem or video card and have heard of entire systems including HDDs going up due to a bad PSU.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
You need a powerful system to play Crysis at a decent FPS (My system couldnt do it), a PSU for a system like that would cost $150-$200. I would just get the FSP Group PSU for now and get a powerful one when you completly overhaul your system.

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
You need a powerful system to play Crysis at a decent FPS (My system couldnt do it), a PSU for a system like that would cost $150-$200. I would just get the FSP Group PSU for now and get a powerful one when you completly overhaul your system.

apt403's rig:
E6300
Asus P5B Deluxe w/o wifi
Super Talent 2GB
HIS IceQ3 1950xt
Enermax Liberty 620w
Thermaltake Armor Case
Tuniq Tower 120
250GB HDD
NEC 7170A

Uh... are you serious?

Yea, the graphics card isn't DX10, but still!

Sorry, don't mean to get off topic.

For the OP, if you plan on doing an upgrade for Crysis, AIM for at least a 850WATT Power Supply.

I think my 700 WATT power supply will barely get by on it's limbs.... =/

Then again, I mean.... $150 for a PSU to me sounds kind of pricey and you would figure that it'd be future proof.

But who the h3ll saw DX 10 cards requiring two pci express plugs??? 8O

Maybe I overslept under the rock on this subject :oops:

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Off topic :oops:

Sure it does...

Settings -> "Low" to "Off"
Resolution -> 640x480

:tongue:

But no, seriously, the game will be DX9 as well, therefore, I'm sure it'll run decently

C'mon, where's the optimism? I know I just didn't drop $300+ on this card for nothing! :?

Btw, gotta love the Inquirer. They said my OCZ GameXStream 700 WATT can run 8800GTX in SLI!!!

Waiting for other sites to confirm with actual tests and results!!!