Best HSF that doesn't require MB removal?

rdhood

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
I'm looking to replace the Intel Stock HSF in my system with something that cools better and/or is quieter and that will install without removing the motherboard.

The only HSF on my list right now is the Cooler Master Hyper TX.

Are there any other low noise/decent performance bolt on HSF I should be looking at?

Thanks!

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
The new Scythe Ninja doesn't require motherboard removal either.

Mine works fairly well and extremely quiet.

However, I do like how the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro pushes cool air down towards the motherboard...

However, the Ninja is fairly tall.

rdhood

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Hey guys, thanks for the heads up on the other coolers. I have another question... is okay to use heat pipe coolers in a "standard" case like the Antec Solo that I plan to put it in?

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Don't see why not. The only thing you really need to consider is the height and weight of a new CPU cooler. The heavier, the more stress on the mobo.

If you go to a lot of LAN parties, might want to search for a light weight, yet efficient CPU cooler.

Also, make sure you have very adequate air flow within your case. Normally a fan on the front pulling in fresh air and a fan in the back located near the CPU to exhaust the hot air :)

rdhood

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Well, the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro is out of stock just about everywhere (I looked up every single retailer on the arctic cooling web page).

I went for the Cooler master Hyper HT. It seems to be doing the trick... My E6300 OC to 400Mhz is holding lower temps than the Stock HSF at stock FSB.

I am definitely seeing memory instability, though, and am running tests to figure out which one of my CORSAIR PC-6400 (800) memory sticks won't even run at 400MHz stock settings.

Lots of testing to go to get a stable overclock, but the HSF is doing the job.. and its very quiet.

lcdguy

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Don't forget Thermalright. They make awesome HSF's and are priced pretty good as well. Even though i am not running an intel chip my xp90 cools by opteron great.

TRENDING THREADS