Performances of CPU and GPU

VenoM-UT

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
Hi gamers :)

My question is:

What percentage of the performance obtained in games comes from the CPU and what percentage from the GPU? Are there any articles emphasizing that kind of comparison?

The result is needed for a decision between sticking with the old AGP system or switching to a PCI-E based brand new system... I am wondering if my system will be enough for me for the upcoming 2 years with a single 300$ card update (X1950 AGP for ex) or will i have to send my old PC to trash to buy a new one at 1000-2000$ to stay up-to-date with the gaming community...

cleeve

Illustrious
Depends on the game, but all graphically demanding games are more video card dependant as a rule of thumb.

Have a look at this article:

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/2007/02/01/agp-platform-analysis/

DoubleE460

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
What mobo and cpu do you have?

If it's a socket 478 mobo you will find it hard to get a cpu that can let the x1950 to do it's best. The best cpu, or combo rather, is the Asus CT-479 adapter together with a pentium M 7x0 CPU. The mobo, however, must be compatible with the CT-479 adapter.
If you need to to all that hassle then go for a pci-e rig instead. I only list 'the possibility' but wont necessarily opt for it.

A socket 939 mobo would do, provided that you have a decent cpu for it. An oc'd single core would suffice, 3200+... 3500+... 3800+...., a dual core would be preferable.

A socket 775 mobo with a decent P4 cpu, like a D 9xx or D8xx oc'd would do as well.

Any other cpu/mobo suggets ---> pci-e.

AdamBomb42

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
The graphics cards handles...well the graphics. The processor keeps itself busy with AI, physics, and shit like that.

For some games the CPU is the bottleneck, while others the GPU is the bottleneck.

Gary_Busey

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
What's your system specs? What kind of games do you play?

My system, in my sig, is CPU limited, but I can still play any game out at high settings, if not max. Oblivion is the only game I have that I can't have max settings and get 20+ FPS, but that's only in some outdoors areas. I can acheive 20 FPS or better in most of the game.

VenoM-UT

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
Well I read the articles featured on tom's hardware, it seems to me that AGP will give me between 20-50 fps for the upcoming 1-2 years. This seems to be enough, and I now know also that my socket 754 board can be installed with a higher speed CPU thanx to the binification of sockets of AMD

Thanks to all of you...

PC: ASUS A7V8X with AMD Sempron 2600+, 1024 MB RAM, GeForce FX5200