Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

HDTV Receiver and Cable HDTV

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
August 10, 2004 6:10:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

I am currently using a Samsung T360 HDTV receiver along with my Direct
Tv package. If I was to sign up for my local cable company's HDTV
package can I just use the current receiver that I am using or do I
have to rent their box also. Cant I just plug the cable from their
service into my cable in jack on my Samsung to receive their HDTV
content. I know I will still have to pay the fee for the HDTV for the
cable company but I was trying not to have to rent their box.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
August 10, 2004 6:10:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

<arholmes@adelphia.net> wrote in message
news:7k3ih0h6cvnqop94mol40rm629n4915f0v@4ax.com...
> I am currently using a Samsung T360 HDTV receiver along with my Direct
> Tv package. If I was to sign up for my local cable company's HDTV
> package can I just use the current receiver that I am using or do I
> have to rent their box also.

Cable HDTV uses a format called QAM, which is not the same as Broadcast
HDTV. So I don't think you can use the same box.

I think you have to rent the cable box or put up an antenna.

> Cant I just plug the cable from their
> service into my cable in jack on my Samsung to receive their HDTV
> content.

No, I don't think so.

Brad Houser
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
August 10, 2004 6:55:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

arholmes@adelphia.net wrote:
>
> I am currently using a Samsung T360 HDTV receiver along with my Direct
> Tv package. If I was to sign up for my local cable company's HDTV
> package can I just use the current receiver that I am using or do I
> have to rent their box also. Cant I just plug the cable from their
> service into my cable in jack on my Samsung to receive their HDTV
> content.

If you have a brand new 2004 HDTV with an integral Digital tuner.....
It may work for the unscrambled HD Cable Channels
IF the Cable Co has such unscrambled channels...

IT will work for a new 2004 HDTV if it has either a
QAM tuner or Cable Card slot for receiving unscrambled
HDTV Cable Programs...

Cable card may cost $2/ month.... But you may
lose the Cable Co on line Programming Guide...

I have been begging for this 'Freebie Cable' PGM
demo at my local High End Hi Fi TV Stores...

No Demo luck yet on the Time Warner System....




I know I will still have to pay the fee for the HDTV for the
> cable company but I was trying not to have to rent their box.

You should not have to pay a Fee for the Local HDs on
Cable plus a few other unscrambled chans from Time Warner...

IF you get the full HD boat of HD channels...
Then about $7/ mo plus $8/ mo for STBox.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
August 10, 2004 7:10:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 14:10:15 -0400, arholmes wrote:

> I am currently using a Samsung T360 HDTV receiver along with my Direct
> Tv package. If I was to sign up for my local cable company's HDTV
> package can I just use the current receiver that I am using or do I
> have to rent their box also. Cant I just plug the cable from their
> service into my cable in jack on my Samsung to receive their HDTV
> content. I know I will still have to pay the fee for the HDTV for the
> cable company but I was trying not to have to rent their box.

You need the cable box.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
August 11, 2004 7:35:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

I believe with comcast,if you have a QAM digital tuner,you can get HD locals
withOUT a box.

--
A widescreen edition of a movie presents the film frame as it was seen in
the movie theater. This is the version that best preserves the filmmaker's
original intent.

End of story!
"General Schvantzkoph" <schvantzkoph@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.08.10.19.10.43.852975@yahoo.com...
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 14:10:15 -0400, arholmes wrote:
>
> > I am currently using a Samsung T360 HDTV receiver along with my Direct
> > Tv package. If I was to sign up for my local cable company's HDTV
> > package can I just use the current receiver that I am using or do I
> > have to rent their box also. Cant I just plug the cable from their
> > service into my cable in jack on my Samsung to receive their HDTV
> > content. I know I will still have to pay the fee for the HDTV for the
> > cable company but I was trying not to have to rent their box.
>
> You need the cable box.
>
!