Compaq memory question

0d1n

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I am working on a friend's Compaq Presario SR1103WM(Computer info) and it only has 256 mb ram and it "runs" XP.

i am going to recommend that he adds more ram, but during my search i came across a few sites that said compaq computers are selective with what chips they are compatable with. so basically i just want a little input on the matter to see if the pc2700 stick i buy matters.

btw i was just going to recommend that he buy a 512 stick because he rarely uses the computer, but he complains about the speed every time he does.

Mondoman

Splendid
Yes, upgrading to 768MB total should make a big difference. 256MB is pretty much unusable for XP.
I'd be surprised if they still sold PC2700 RAM; all the sticks I've seen in the last 6 months have been rated PC3200. I'd go ahead and buy a 512MB PC3200/DDR-400 stick with a brand on it and a lifetime warranty. Anything with that should run fine on the Compaq (faster-rated modules can always run at slower speeds, and if they're rated to run at DDR-400, they should definitely work fine at PC2700/DDR-333.

0d1n

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
well the thing about buying a stick at a higher speed means that it is probably more expensive and this guy is a penny pincher (if it wasnt obvious with how much ram he has in the comp now) so i wanna stick with the pc2700, i have found many sites that sell this memory and many of which have lifetime warranties. i just wanted to see if the things i read about compaq being selective with what memory works in their computers was true (i.e. brand, high density, low density).

blunc

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
I suggest you check the Compaq site for that model of CPU to find what is recommended for that computer, that way you won't have to play the RMA game.

0d1n

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
well i went to crucial.com and 4allmemory.com and they both garuntee the ram they sell to work but the problem is they are overpriced. crucial is the cheapest with a 512 stick going for $53.61 after taxes and shipping. but newegg and ebay both have sticks with lifetime waaranties that are selling for less than that ($40.49 for newegg and $36.50 for ebay) but they are not matched to the system first like at the other sites.

so basically ill tell him that he can take a chance and get one of the cheaper ones or garuntee that its gonna work and get the one from crucial.

King-Of-Kings

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Ya compaq uses proprietery parts. Not just for ram but even the PSU. Your gonna have to look online like Ebay cause you won't find it in a retail store.

I work out a computer store and i tell people to stear clear of Compaq and Dell cause its such a bitch to find parts for them. :?

0d1n

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
ya i was afraid that they used proprietary parts, i guess now the only option for him is crucial.com or if i find abother site that sells the memory for cheaper it will be that. thx for the info guys.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Crucial RAM isn't bad - I've used it a number of times on various computers w/o any issue at all. $53 isn't bad, I'd just go for it. You should see immediate wonderful results from 256MB to 768!

hollett

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001
Any PC2700/3200 should work with no problems. We have over 3,000 compaq computers in work and upgrade the memory with whatever is the best priced including Hylux, Kingston, Samsung and crucial.

The only thing to check is the ram will work at the correct latency. You can check the latency of your existing ram with a number of free tools including CPUZ (http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php) and make sure the ram you buy at least matches the speed of your current ram.

NOTE: HP/Compaq servers are a little more fussy on their upgrades.