gorac

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
Im trying to find the best chip for the buck. Im sure theres a better chip then the two i selected for much cheaper, if you know one please tell me. I would be using it to play lots of games and possibly backing up my most watched dvds. Im not a hard core PC gamer but want to be set for the future of gaming. Both of these processors retail for $510-530 on newegg.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Neither.
Anything more expensive than the E6600 is a waste.
The E6600 will easily run ast E6700 speeds.

The only AMD chips that are "cost effective" are those in the lower range such as the $105 Brisbane. The slowest of the C2Ds at 1.8Ghz generally OC to over 3.0ghz w/o a hiccup.

But to answer your question, AMD's chip will likely not beat the E6700 on any benchmarks. The Int, el chip can also be overclocked more. In addition, the Intel Chip will run cooler.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
You need 2 fx-74 - i think you mean qx6700?

4x4 is limited to 2 or so mobos
fans are loud and limited
the power is double but so are the sata's!
the oc is lower

winner intel

IFB (amti is always #2)

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
Neither.
Anything more expensive than the E6600 is a waste.
The E6600 will easily run ast E6700 speeds.

But to answer your question, AMD's chip will likely not beat the E6700 on any benchmarks. The Int, el chip can also be overclocked more. In addition, the Intel Chip will run cooler.

x6800 is not waste if you want the extra performance! I have an e6300 system and a x6800 and i would not say its a waste!

Skip the e6700 unless you a "underclocker"

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
x6800 is not waste if you want the extra performance! I have an e6300 system and a x6800 and i would not say its a waste!

Well the x6800 is in a league of its own. The E6700 and E6600 are meant for the same market sector, the midrange. The x6800 is in the highend along with the qx6700.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006

the_vorlon

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Well the E6600 can be clocked to likey a couple of % points of the E6800 when it is fully overclocked.

With the $600 price difference, you can likely upgrade additional parts to overtake the difference. Exmaple -

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Storage/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2180&ProductName=GC-RAMDISK

Use this to store your Swap File/Temp Drive/ and perhaps the game of your choice.

It even makes 15K SCSI Drive look depestrian.

I sometimes wonder if Intel is even actually binning these parts anymore.

The E6xxx seem, on average, to all OC to basically the same speeds.

Some part of my brain suspects they just look at the order book, set multipliers accordingly, and send them out.

Seriously, has anybody found a Core2due part that didn't do over 3 ghz?

the_vorlon

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Im trying to find the best chip for the buck. Im sure theres a better chip then the two i selected for much cheaper, if you know one please tell me. I would be using it to play lots of games and possibly backing up my most watched dvds. Im not a hard core PC gamer but want to be set for the future of gaming. Both of these processors retail for $510-530 on newegg.

A E6700 will just f^&king destroy a single FX-74 (I know some e-tailors break up the pairs)

If you have a pair of FX74s it actually pretty close, but then we are talking about $1000 worth of FX74s versus a $530 E6700.

The FX74s, you will..maybe..get a 200 mhz overclock, 10% on a VERY good day.

E6700 typically get 30% OC without even trying.

There is just no sane reason to by a Quad FX platform, that dog just don't hunt.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

A E6700 will just f^&king destroy a single FX-74 (I know some e-tailors break up the pairs)

If you have a pair of FX74s it actually pretty close, but then we are talking about $1000 worth of FX74s versus a $530 E6700.

There is just no sane reason to by a Quad FX platform, that dog just don't hunt.

ASUS dropped the ball with the mobo. ExtremeTech has just updated their BIOS and gotten new fans from AMD that cut power and noise tremendously.

The thing was already fast using both chips, especially with Vista. Not everyone cares about OCing. That's just bragging rights for those of us with penis envy.

I would recommend getting the mobo and putting 1.8GHz Opterons in it. They do work. That cuts back on power even more and may ven save you a few bucks.

I just hope AMD releases a new reference mobo with a new HT3 chipset. They have it already but it's supposedly for Agena FX but it would work with FX.

Maybe they'll start using the new 6000+ core for FX so it is actually faster than FX62 with both chips.

Besides, YOU don't have to buy it.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

ASUS dropped the ball with the mobo. ExtremeTech has just updated their BIOS and gotten new fans from AMD that cut power and noise tremendously.

The thing was already fast using both chips, especially with Vista. Not everyone cares about OCing. That's just bragging rights for those of us with penis envy.

I would recommend getting the mobo and putting 1.8GHz Opterons in it. They do work. That cuts back on power even more and may ven save you a few bucks.

I just hope AMD releases a new reference mobo with a new HT3 chipset. They have it already but it's supposedly for Agena FX but it would work with FX.

Maybe they'll start using the new 6000+ core for FX so it is actually faster than FX62 with both chips.

Besides, YOU don't have to buy it.I don't think it's fair to say that. Don't forget, they were the only ones who were even interested in providing a platform. I'm sure that ASUS probably lost money on that decision. :wink:

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I don't think it's fair to say that. Don't forget, they were the only ones who were even interested in providing a platform. I'm sure that ASUS probably lost money on that decision.

Thats no excuse for bad quality control. Good QA would have found all of the problems the review sites found. I'm sure I would ratherhave delayed and released something ready than to put something out with problems.

ASUS can't lose money. They are the number one OEM right now and these mobos keep selling out at Newegg.