Two floor shop needs network

supersonic4336

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
Hey guys. I'm an IT student with a fairly large project. I have to come up with a plan for wiring a two floor warehouse and I have a few sticking points on what I can get away with. all the pcs I'm aware of are on the second floor. Internet service comes in through the electrical room on the first floor which is my first sticking point. I'm well aware that the first rule of something like this is to keep my network wiring away from something like an electrical room. Is it a good idea that since the network backbone will be fibre, I should run my fibre right through the electrical room and up to my switch room on the second floor?

I have alot more questions but for now I'll stick to this one.

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Of course, optical is immune to electrical noise, but whether doing what you suggest is overkill or not depends on what kind of equipment is in the electrical room and the kind of commercial-grade ethernet equipment you are using. Cisco, for example, makes equipment with built-in AC noise filtering.

However, since you are a student, I assume you are working under a graduate engineer on this commercial project. He should be making these kinds of decisions.

If you are on your own, then you should consult with real experts.

supersonic4336

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
its actually a hypothetical situation. Its the final project for my ccna 1 class. The idea is we have a floor plan and a list of specs that need to be met (done as cheaply as possible) While i don't plan to get a step by step, I do need some clearing up points. The electrical room is where all the services for the building come in, so I'd rther not run 4 cat 6 cables from a router out of that room. Obviously it all has to be plenum grade to go through the wall which isn't cheap, but I don't know if sheilded Twisted pair will block out that kind of intense noise, caused by the other equipment.