Windows 2000/Norton Anti-Virus Loading

alex

I'm a math teacher in a rural high school. We have 32 older systems running
2000...limited memory, 64Mb and speed of about 300-400MHz. We hook into the
internet to use an the ALEKS Algebra and other programs. We have rampant
viruses running around our county. So, we need to load Norton 2004 before we
hook into the internet.

Here's the "Catch 22". Our 2000 CD contains a older version of Internet
Explorer...not 5.5 or 6.0. Norton requires at least IE 5.5 to load. We can't
go on the internet to get 6.0 downloaded without having Norton loaded first
to protect our systems. We're chasing our tails....and, of course, we don't
have the money to buy more memory or the licenses for XP, so we could
upgrade. Any suggestions?

Thanks much!
--
Alex

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:7A0F4B3B-18B3-4609-B129-0DA1011B1331@microsoft.com,
Alex <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I'm a math teacher in a rural high school. We have 32 older systems
> running 2000...limited memory, 64Mb and speed of about 300-400MHz. We
> hook into the internet to use an the ALEKS Algebra and other
> programs. We have rampant viruses running around our county. So, we
> need to load Norton 2004 before we hook into the internet.
>
> Here's the "Catch 22". Our 2000 CD contains a older version of
> Internet Explorer...not 5.5 or 6.0. Norton requires at least IE 5.5
> to load. We can't go on the internet to get 6.0 downloaded without
> having Norton loaded first to protect our systems. We're chasing our
> tails....and, of course, we don't have the money to buy more memory
> or the licenses for XP, so we could upgrade. Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks much!

Download it at home and burn it to CD?

http://www.softwarepatch.com/internet/ie6.html

Galen
--

"Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
its solution is its own reward."

Sherlock Holmes

alex

Thanks Galen...I tried that...downloaded both to a CD and a jump drive...but,
when I try to load it at school, it tries to connect to the internet to
complete it's installation. Hmmmm, don't know. I'll try it again...maybe I
just got a bad burn.
--
Alex