  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b D Laptop
August 13, 2005 9:05:40 AM

Lately my laptop has been very slow. When I look at Task Manager is
see msgfix.exe is running multiple times. When I try to kill it, it
won't let me even though I am logged on as "Administrator". I also see
it listed more than once in the startup programs when I run 'msconfig'.

I am running Windows 2000. The laptop belongs to my company and does
not have a fire wall. I am not allowed to install any software on my
own. Bright, huh? I do update the Norton virus definitions every
other day.

I did some reading on msgfix.exe and I see it associated with a worm,
but what I couldn't tell is if I should try to stop it from running.

Thanks

Jane

More about : msgfix exe

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 14, 2005 3:32:11 AM

According to Symantec it is the w32gaobot.sn worm as shown in the link below
with instructions on how to remove it which requires that you boot into safe
mode to run your virus scan. You should however let your company know about
your problem and let them fix it if they can do it on a timely basis as they
should be made aware that their computer is infected so that they can take
possible steps to minimize such in the future. --- Steve

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...

!