Windows Shutdown automatically

Hi there
I'm using Win2000 and it's been shuting down automatically every 3-5 mins I
even tried to use sasser removal, that didn't help.

Can you please help me.
4 answers Last reply
More about windows shutdown automatically

    Does it give you any error message or such? Look in Event Viewer
    [eventvwr.msc] in the system and application logs to see if anything there
    has been recorded that might be helpful. Try booting into Safe Mode to see
    if it still happens. If it does not then most likely you have a problem with
    malware or severe software/driver conflict. If it still happens you may have
    a hardware problem such as a bad power supply or overheating CPU which can
    easily be caused by a clogged CPU fan/heatsink or failed CPU fan.

    Assuming it is malware make sure that you are scanning your computer with a
    antivirus program that is using the latest virus definitions downloaded from
    the vendors website. Since it is rebooting you may have to run your virus
    scan in Safe Mode at least to start. If you can at least identify the virus
    from a virus scan but the antivirus program can not seem to remove it search
    Google or SARC for the name of the virus for specific removal instructions
    that may include a special tool that you need to download. The links below
    may help including one to McAfee Stinger which is a compact tool you can run
    to check for and remove some of the most common malware and tips on how to
    secure your PC to minimize the possibility of future problems. --- Steve

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/ --- SARC from Symantec
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ -- McAfee Stinger tool
    http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp --- Trend Micro Sysclean
    http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp --- Sysclean pattern file in
    ..zip format
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windows2000/default.mspx ---
    Protect your PC for Windows 2000

    "Akef" <Akef@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi there
    > I'm using Win2000 and it's been shuting down automatically every 3-5 mins
    > even tried to use sasser removal, that didn't help.
    >
    > Can you please help me.

    Does it always restart or only if you log onto the workstation? Do you see
    any RPC messages?

    Kind Regards,

    --
    Colin M. McGroarty, MCSE, MCP+I, NT-CIP
    2004 Microsoft MVP, Windows Server - General

    "Akef" <Akef@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    Hi there
    I'm using Win2000 and it's been shuting down automatically every 3-5 mins I
    even tried to use sasser removal, that didn't help.

    Can you please help me.

    Does it always restart or only if you log onto the workstation? Do you see
    any RPC messages?

    Kind Regards,

    --
    Colin M. McGroarty, MCSE, MCP+I, NT-CIP
    2004 Microsoft MVP, Windows Server - General
    www.McGroarty.org

    "Akef" <Akef@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    Hi there
    I'm using Win2000 and it's been shuting down automatically every 3-5 mins I
    even tried to use sasser removal, that didn't help.

    Can you please help me.

    Sounds like the new virus that is going around--can you run win update?
    "Akef" <Akef@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi there
    > I'm using Win2000 and it's been shuting down automatically every 3-5 mins
    > even tried to use sasser removal, that didn't help.
    >
    > Can you please help me.

Security Microsoft Shutdown Windows