File Persmissions - Restrict Folder Deletion Only (not fil..

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
August 15, 2005 3:15:43 AM

Hi all,
I have a network at work where I would like to prevent everybody except
the Administrator from deleting folders from the FileServer.

I would like to allow access for everyone to delete individual files
within these folders but not the folders themselves.

This is to prevent somebody from accidently deleting a whole folder
with all the files within it.

I have tried to use the advanced file permissions settings but can not
see an easy way to do it.

Thanks in advance!!
David
August 15, 2005 12:48:04 PM

"David" <d.raffelt@student.qut.edu.au> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I have a network at work where I would like to prevent everybody except
> the Administrator from deleting folders from the FileServer.
>
> I would like to allow access for everyone to delete individual files
> within these folders but not the folders themselves.
>
> This is to prevent somebody from accidently deleting a whole folder
> with all the files within it.
>
> I have tried to use the advanced file permissions settings but can not
> see an easy way to do it.
>
> Thanks in advance!!
> David

on advanced give modify to files only and read to subfolders only
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 2:43:39 PM

Keep in mind that for advanced permissions a user/group can be listed more
than one with say different permissions for this folder and then for files
only in the apply onto box. You could for instance give administrators full
control to the folder on the main security page and then give users the
basic permissions for the folder such as read/list/execute/write.
Permissions that you assign on the main security page apply to
folder/subfolders/files. Then to allow users to delete files in the advanced
permissions page add the users group again and give them delete permission
for files only or subfolders and files only in the apply onto box depending
on what your needs are. --- Steve

!