PC inside desk *UPDATE W/PICS*

kimokalihi

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I posted a few months ago about how I wanted to customize my desk to house my pc and ditch the tower all together. It would save me room, be very unique and best of all cut down on sound.

Well, I've done it now and was requested to post pictures when I finished the project and it's just about finished as of today. There's only a couple more things I'd like to do. One of which is sound deadening. The sound deadening is shipping today and will arive in a few days I would assume.

It's already much quieter than before and it's still quite cool. During normal internet surfing and while installing Black and White 2 while surfing it remained at 32*Celcius. That's with only two 80mm case fans. It gets up to 40 during gaming.

Take a look and let me know what you guys think.

PC Desk Mod

AMD Athlon64 3200 754
Epox Motherboard
2GB G.Skill PC3200 DDR400
EVGA GeForce 7950GT KO 512MB GDDR3
Seagate 320GB 16Mb Cache SATA
Maxtor 120GB IDE
Seagate 80GB IDE
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum
Hiper Power Supply 580W
HUGE 120mm Blue Orb II CPU cooler from ThermalTake
LG Flatron 19" Widescreen 2000:1 5ms
Logitech 680 5.1

chungdokwan

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
WOW Kimo thanks for the pics that looks great to me, I always wanted to set one up screwd straight to the wall behind my monitor.

I think dust would be a problem doing it that way though.

I like how the DVD come's up through the desk on yours its pretty cool.

Cruton

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
That system is friggen awesome! The foam was a good move, and the DVD coming up out of the dust is pretty sweet. It looks like there is just 1 exhaust port out of the bottom, does that provide enough airflow to keep things cool?

All in all, great work! I bet you had fun setting that all up.

ADM-86

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
interesting......

741171866392ry5.gif

Interesting. Very cool. Nice wiring job! I am surprised to see the drives hanging loose tho...

What did you use as the backplate to mount the mobo to? It looks like a removeable mobo tray or like it was cut out of a case. How/where did you get it? Thanks!

kimokalihi

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[/quote]
I think dust would be a problem doing it that way though.

It's actually not too bad. Better than the tower. It has to come out from beneath the droor.

It looks like there is just 1 exhaust port out of the bottom, does that provide enough airflow to keep things cool?

Suprisingly it does. That black elbow pipe isn't exhaust, it's an intake. The hot air exits via the power supply which has a 120mm and an 80 mm fan in it. I was skeptical about this because I didn't think it would cool enough. But my idle temp is like 28 and the full load comes to 40C tops.

I don't see how this saves space, but its neat!

It saves space because I don't need to have a big tower on my desk anymore. It's out of the way now and no one even knows I have a pc. They just look at my monitor completely baffled.

[/quote]I am surprised to see the drives hanging loose tho...
I know...I just haven't though of a way to mount them yet. I think I'm just going to get some sort of rubber vibration canceling things that will lift if off the desk and keep it cooler too.
What did you use as the backplate to mount the mobo to? It looks like a removeable mobo tray or like it was cut out of a case. How/where did you get it?
I had this OLD pc tower in my closet from like 6 or 7 years ago and I just took it apart and took a sawzaw and cut it up. Then bolted it into the desk after glueing foam to the back of it.

Thanks you guys. I'll update in a few days when I get the sound deadener.

Cruton

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
Two other quick suggestions:

1) Why not just rip out a 3.5" device holder from an old case and use it to mount your hard drives too. This will provide some space between the HDs for some better circulation.

2) Wood isn't a good grounding material. It might be good to sauter (sp) a copper wire from each mount to the PS. This will adequately ground the components and make the set up safer.

Still, great job.

DuncanMcCloud

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
Dont the discs fall out when u let go of them and press the eject button?

Where do the files and papers go now that the drawers on that side are empty? :p If those drawers were full of papers and stuff wouldnt that just be making some other place outside of the desk more messy?

You shouldve sanded down the desk and pressure-sprayed the desk with a black gloss finish before u put everything inside....looks a bit rough as it is :D

But good idea.

I think it would be nice to mount the mobo on the wall and then frame the assembled mass and put a glass cover infront in case someone spews some beer on the parts.

kimokalihi

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Oh man, I never though about spills. I hope nothing ever spills down into my dvd burner!

The discs do fall out but it's not a big deal to me. I burn a disc and it opens and out comes the cd all by itself.

kimokalihi

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Alright, I'm finished! Installed sound dampening and made a mounting bracket for the hard drives. It's actually quite a bit quiter now. Compared to a normal case, it's very quiet. All you can really hear is the power supply fan.

Lots of new pictures!

Check It Out