Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

X50 and bluetooth phone

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 1:07:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I just purchased a Motorola A630 bluetooth phone.

Anyone have any experience connecting to the net with a bluetooth phone? I
can't seem to find any difinitive instructions. The Dell manual simply states
that you can connect using a bluetooth phone. The A630 Manual says to connect
via bluetooth to your handheld, and use your handheld to dial up.

So I get them connected with bluetooth, and go through the setup screen on
the X50 to dial in to my ISP. The X50 says it's dialing, the phone actually
shows it dialing on the screen. The X50 eventually says that a modem was not
found on the other end. The number is correct. In the X50 settings, the only
one that will get the phone to dial up is using the use bluetooth modem
setting.

TIA

--
Walt

More about : x50 bluetooth phone

Anonymous
May 22, 2005 6:52:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Walt Basil" <no_spam@here.net> wrote:

>I just purchased a Motorola A630 bluetooth phone.
>
>Anyone have any experience connecting to the net with a bluetooth phone? I
>can't seem to find any difinitive instructions. The Dell manual simply states
>that you can connect using a bluetooth phone. The A630 Manual says to connect
>via bluetooth to your handheld, and use your handheld to dial up.
>
>So I get them connected with bluetooth, and go through the setup screen on
>the X50 to dial in to my ISP. The X50 says it's dialing, the phone actually
>shows it dialing on the screen. The X50 eventually says that a modem was not
>found on the other end. The number is correct. In the X50 settings, the only
>one that will get the phone to dial up is using the use bluetooth modem
>setting.
>
>TIA


http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=...

In the Pocket PC connection properties
(Start|Settings|Connections|Connection) set up a new modem under My
ISP. You will use the "bluetooth modem" to do this.

This thread contains instructions for getting an EM500 (old OLD pocket
PC) to use a Sony T68 as an infrared modem on the US T-Mobile network.
The instructions will be very similar except you are using bluetooth
and it is possible the A6303 doesn't have multiple CID codes. You
would change the "*99***x#" to *99# I think. I always forget that
piece since I have always had to use the CID.

You should google for similar settings/dial strings with Cingular,
SprintPCS, Verizon or whomever your carrier is.
--
__________________________________________________________________________________
Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all)
What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 1:10:24 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On 5/22/2005 1:52:53 PM, "Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices" wrote:
>"Walt Basil" <no_spam@here.net> wrote:
>
>>I just purchased a Motorola A630 bluetooth phone.
>>
>>Anyone have any experience connecting to the net with a bluetooth phone? I
>>can't seem to find any difinitive instructions. The Dell manual simply states
>>that you can connect using a bluetooth phone. The A630 Manual says to connect
>>via bluetooth to your handheld, and use your handheld to dial up.
>>
>>So I get them connected with bluetooth, and go through the setup screen on
>>the X50 to dial in to my ISP. The X50 says it's dialing, the phone actually
>>shows it dialing on the screen. The X50 eventually says that a modem was not
>>found on the other end. The number is correct. In the X50 settings, the only
>>one that will get the phone to dial up is using the use bluetooth modem
>>setting.
>>
>>TIA
>
>
>http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=...
>
>In the Pocket PC connection properties
>(Start|Settings|Connections|Connection) set up a new modem under My
>ISP. You will use the "bluetooth modem" to do this.
>
>This thread contains instructions for getting an EM500 (old OLD pocket
>PC) to use a Sony T68 as an infrared modem on the US T-Mobile network.
>The instructions will be very similar except you are using bluetooth
>and it is possible the A6303 doesn't have multiple CID codes. You
>would change the "*99***x#" to *99# I think. I always forget that
>piece since I have always had to use the CID.
>
>You should google for similar settings/dial strings with Cingular,
>SprintPCS, Verizon or whomever your carrier is.
>--
>__________________________________________________________________________________
>Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all)
>What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
>Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
>What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>

Thanks for the advice, and the good link. Apparently I need to add on another
"peice" to my t-Mobile package. The rep told me that I need to have the
T-Mobile Internet package ($20/month unlimited) in order to use this feature.
I don't understand why I just can't use the phone as a straight up modem. Let
it dial up to my normal ISP's dial in number.

--
Walt
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 10:52:16 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Walt Basil" <no_spam@here.net> wrote:

>Thanks for the advice, and the good link. Apparently I need to add on another
>"peice" to my t-Mobile package. The rep told me that I need to have the
>T-Mobile Internet package ($20/month unlimited) in order to use this feature.
>I don't understand why I just can't use the phone as a straight up modem. Let
>it dial up to my normal ISP's dial in number.

Technically, you can, but there are 2 problems with this.

1) It will be at around 9,600 baud, versus well over 40K for GPRS.
2) It eats away at your voice minutes. The data (GPRS) plan doesn't. I
walk around with my Pocket PC Phone online for hours at a time,
leaving Messenger logged in.
--
__________________________________________________________________________________
Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all)
What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
!