METAL

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2004

Hi,
How can I restrict the power users from installing software on the system?
regards

That will be difficult unless you can use XP Pro with Software Restriction
Policies. See if it is possible for the users to not be power users which
probably is because an application will not run if they are a regular user??
If that is so see if you can tweak the folder permissions and registry
permissions so that the user can run the application as a normal user. If
for some reason the users must be power users try tweaking folder
permissions for the power users group such as on the \winnt or \windows
folder so that they have only the same permissions as users and test to see
if it does not interfere with their functionality on their computer. There
are some Group Policy settings under user configuration/administrative
templates/system for run only or do not run Windows applications that may
help. For instance in do not run you could add setup.exe and install.exe for
starts. The run only list can restrict a computer quite a bit but can be
difficult to configure with all the files needed for a user to use their
computer and authorized applications including Windows Updates, antivirus,
etc.--- Steve

"Metal" <metal@despammed.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> How can I restrict the power users from installing software on the system?
> regards

That is a really odd sounding question.
One of the few reasons that people grant accounts membership
in Power Users is to enable them to install software, with the
ability to define shares being next most frequent.
So, I have to wonder, why not just revert them to being Users?

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)