gamefreakxxx

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
hello. Just reacently i came across with a problem where my hardrive started to make a loud higpitched noise. Before that it never made a noise like that. So i opened up my computer and verified that was the problem. And might I add this is the first time this has ever happend to me. So i am fairly new with the issue. I read online that the hdd might die out soon. Problem is i don't know which type of internal hard drive tobuy i have ultra ata 133 ide connection to it. I want something quite and yet can take a beating cuz i play games and do tons of editing etc. I heard maxtor is bad but seagate is good because of their perpendicular harddrive holds more. But they bought maxtor so they might be horrible as well. I am looking for something quite with storage aroudn 250 gb that can take a good beating because of the things i do. Any suggestions i would appreciate it if i can get help. Thanks

mpjesse

Splendid
no 7200rpm drive is more reliable than the next. and almost all are very, very quiet these days. I personally prefer WD. i've got a 320GB WD and I can't hear it inside my computer.

at any rate, what you need is a 7200rpm ATA100 hard drive. if it were me, I'd buy the cheapest one at the size you need. newegg.com or zipzoomfly.com are your best bets.

gamefreakxxx

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
ok so wd i looked at them and they were in my consideration they do have along life and wont fail right. becuae im a big gamer video ediotr and media person. I can't have anyting fail frequently

cattbert

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
While there might be some truth to the Maxtor story, my guess (and it is purely that) is that in reality the statistical difference is probably not as significant as the posts would lead you to believe.

I have had good luck with Seagate, Western Digital and Maxtor. Here are two recent HD articles at Anandtech that have a number of benchmarks you can look at:

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2922

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2920

With any hard drive, no matter what the company's track record you are better off implementing a system to safeguard your data.

You did not say what your price range was or how much capacity you need ... it will be impossible for anyone to give you a good recommendation without that information.

If your budget is tight, hard drives is one area in which the local brick & mortar stores can sometimes have unbeatable deals. As an example, this week Staples has a 200GB Maxtor (w/ 3 yr warranty) for $39.98 after a $50 rebate:

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?storeId=10001&noredir=true&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&productId=88043

It says on the rebate form that there is a limit of 5 per household. If you were on a tight budget you could buy two of these to either (A) run Raid 1 (mirror) if your computer supported Raid; or (B) just install your OS on one and data on the other (and back up each to the other).