Local Security Settings

Hi,

I have a Windows 2000 Server with 5 Client machines... I have set the
security audit polices on the server and they have propagated down to three
of the machines but two of machines effective settings are not correct...So
they did not receive them... Any help or suggestions would be greatly
appreciated...

Thanks
--
Dan
2 answers Last reply

    Make sure that the policy was configured on a container that contains the
    computer accounts. For such a small domain you probably did this in Domain
    Security Policy? If that is the case, reboot or use the command secedit
    /refreshpolicy machine_policy /enforce on the other computers to see if that
    fixes the problem. Also check your dns settings so that the domain
    controller points only to itself as it's preferred dns server in tcp/ip
    properties and that all the domain computers point only to the domain
    controller as their preferred dns server. You can use the command ipconfig
    /all to check tcp/ip configuration. You will also find the support tools
    dcdiag [domain controller only] and netdiag to check for the health of your
    domain computers in regards to network connectivity, dns name resolution,
    and computer account/secure channel integrity. The support tools are located
    on the install disk in the support/tools folder where you install them by
    using the setup file there. Also make it a habit of using Event Viewer to
    check the various logs on your computers when you are experiencing problems
    and also routinely to check for errors that may mean impending problems,
    particularly on your domain controller.. --- Steve

    "Dan" <dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a Windows 2000 Server with 5 Client machines... I have set the
    > security audit polices on the server and they have propagated down to
    > three
    > of the machines but two of machines effective settings are not
    > correct...So
    > they did not receive them... Any help or suggestions would be greatly
    > appreciated...
    >
    > Thanks
    > --
    > Dan

    Steve,

    Thanks a lot,,, you pointed me in the right direction.

    Dan
    --
    Dan

    "Steven L Umbach" wrote:

    > Make sure that the policy was configured on a container that contains the
    > computer accounts. For such a small domain you probably did this in Domain
    > Security Policy? If that is the case, reboot or use the command secedit
    > /refreshpolicy machine_policy /enforce on the other computers to see if that
    > fixes the problem. Also check your dns settings so that the domain
    > controller points only to itself as it's preferred dns server in tcp/ip
    > properties and that all the domain computers point only to the domain
    > controller as their preferred dns server. You can use the command ipconfig
    > /all to check tcp/ip configuration. You will also find the support tools
    > dcdiag [domain controller only] and netdiag to check for the health of your
    > domain computers in regards to network connectivity, dns name resolution,
    > and computer account/secure channel integrity. The support tools are located
    > on the install disk in the support/tools folder where you install them by
    > using the setup file there. Also make it a habit of using Event Viewer to
    > check the various logs on your computers when you are experiencing problems
    > and also routinely to check for errors that may mean impending problems,
    > particularly on your domain controller.. --- Steve
    >

    > "Dan" <dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have a Windows 2000 Server with 5 Client machines... I have set the
    > > security audit polices on the server and they have propagated down to
    > > three
    > > of the machines but two of machines effective settings are not
    > > correct...So
    > > they did not receive them... Any help or suggestions would be greatly
    > > appreciated...
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > --
    > > Dan