ctrl-alt-delete key does not work

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b D Laptop
August 19, 2005 6:32:55 PM

I have a Dell inspiron 8000 laptop with windows 2000 system. I cannot
login as the ctrl-alt-delete key does not work even I reboot the pc in
safe mode. The key only works once if I take the laptop to a new place.
Please help.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 19, 2005 9:06:06 PM

Possibly your keyboard is defective for at least one of those keys. Try
tapping the keys a little harder. If the problem persists see if you can
connect an external keyboard to try. --- Steve

<jsmith.be@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dell inspiron 8000 laptop with windows 2000 system. I cannot
> login as the ctrl-alt-delete key does not work even I reboot the pc in
> safe mode. The key only works once if I take the laptop to a new place.
> Please help.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 20, 2005 9:19:47 AM

Thanks Steven. it works with an external keyboard.

I do not have a screen saver and the password protected is disabled,
but the pc is locked automatically after a few minutes. Please help.

Steven L Umbach wrote:
> Possibly your keyboard is defective for at least one of those keys. Try
> tapping the keys a little harder. If the problem persists see if you can
> connect an external keyboard to try. --- Steve
>

> <jsmith.be@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Dell inspiron 8000 laptop with windows 2000 system. I cannot
> > login as the ctrl-alt-delete key does not work even I reboot the pc in
> > safe mode. The key only works once if I take the laptop to a new place.
> > Please help.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 21, 2005 12:04:29 AM

When you mean locked up I assume that after a period of idle time the
computer locks and you have to enter a password to gain access again??

If that is so it sounds like you do have a screen saver configured to lock
the computer after a period of idle time. Go to control panel/display and
select the screensaver tab. See if the option for "on resume, password
protect" box is checked [the wording may be a bit different in Windows
2000]. If it is, uncheck it and it should stop your computer from locking
after a period of idle time. If that does not help try using local Group
Policy. Open it with gpedit.msc in the run box and then go to user
configuration/administrative templates/control panel/display and find the
setting for password protect the screen saver and set it to "disabled". You
will have to logon to your computer as user that is a local administrator to
open local Group Policy. --- Steve

!