ctrl-alt-delete key does not work

I have a Dell inspiron 8000 laptop with windows 2000 system. I cannot
login as the ctrl-alt-delete key does not work even I reboot the pc in
safe mode. The key only works once if I take the laptop to a new place.
Please help.
3 answers Last reply
More about ctrl delete work

    Possibly your keyboard is defective for at least one of those keys. Try
    tapping the keys a little harder. If the problem persists see if you can
    connect an external keyboard to try. --- Steve

    <jsmith.be@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Dell inspiron 8000 laptop with windows 2000 system. I cannot
    > login as the ctrl-alt-delete key does not work even I reboot the pc in
    > safe mode. The key only works once if I take the laptop to a new place.
    > Please help.

    Thanks Steven. it works with an external keyboard.

    I do not have a screen saver and the password protected is disabled,
    but the pc is locked automatically after a few minutes. Please help.

    Steven L Umbach wrote:
    > Possibly your keyboard is defective for at least one of those keys. Try
    > tapping the keys a little harder. If the problem persists see if you can
    > connect an external keyboard to try. --- Steve
    >

    > <jsmith.be@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a Dell inspiron 8000 laptop with windows 2000 system. I cannot
    > > login as the ctrl-alt-delete key does not work even I reboot the pc in
    > > safe mode. The key only works once if I take the laptop to a new place.
    > > Please help.

    When you mean locked up I assume that after a period of idle time the
    computer locks and you have to enter a password to gain access again??

    If that is so it sounds like you do have a screen saver configured to lock
    the computer after a period of idle time. Go to control panel/display and
    select the screensaver tab. See if the option for "on resume, password
    protect" box is checked [the wording may be a bit different in Windows
    2000]. If it is, uncheck it and it should stop your computer from locking
    after a period of idle time. If that does not help try using local Group
    Policy. Open it with gpedit.msc in the run box and then go to user
    configuration/administrative templates/control panel/display and find the
    setting for password protect the screen saver and set it to "disabled". You
    will have to logon to your computer as user that is a local administrator to
    open local Group Policy. --- Steve

    > Thanks Steven. it works with an external keyboard.
    >
    > I do not have a screen saver and the password protected is disabled,
    > but the pc is locked automatically after a few minutes. Please help.
    >
    > Steven L Umbach wrote:
    >> Possibly your keyboard is defective for at least one of those keys. Try
    >> tapping the keys a little harder. If the problem persists see if you can
    >> connect an external keyboard to try. --- Steve
    >>

    >> <jsmith.be@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have a Dell inspiron 8000 laptop with windows 2000 system. I cannot
    >> > login as the ctrl-alt-delete key does not work even I reboot the pc in
    >> > safe mode. The key only works once if I take the laptop to a new place.
    >> > Please help.

Laptops Windows