HELP-This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Primus462

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
I just plugged my 2.5" HDD into the Sabrent Super Slim Mobile Storage HDD enclosure (SBT-EKU25). When I plug into the USB Port, Device Manager gives the error "This device cannot start. (Code 10)." I have tried plugging in both USB connectors in case it was a power issue, but that doesn't seem to make a difference.
The HDD came out of my sister's laptop, which was replaced because Windows stopped booting. I was hoping to get her data off the HDD, but now I'm afraid the HDD is bad since I'm getting the errror.

Any ideas!!!

Thanks for any and all advice you can give.

Galin

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
Sorry about your bad luck, I don’t think there’s any part more painful to go than a hard drive full of data. I had a similar problem recently with my laptop. I ended up buying a copy of Data Doctor Recovery fat+ntfs. It cost me a little of $80 with the hard copy they sent me, but I was able to pull my data off the drive. Also, Ontrack has a program called Easy Recovery you can try. It’s more expensive but Ontrack has a very good reputation. The other bonus with both these programs is that you can download them for free to see if you can pull data off the drive in question. Sorry I don’t have any cheaper ideas for you and best of luck.