Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 21, 2005 4:23:02 PM

How can I configure windows 2000 professional so as to ask for password while
starting before the logon screen?

More about : windows 2000 startup password

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 21, 2005 6:35:02 PM

See the link below how to configure autologon. In your case you will make
sure that the option in step 4. is enabled. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;234562

Preventing the Password Prompt in a Non-Domain System
1. In Control Panel, double-click Users and Passwords.
2. Click to clear the Users must enter a user name and password to use
this computer check box.

NOTE: This option does not appear on a system that is a member of a
domain.
3. Click the Advanced tab.
4. Click to clear the Require users to press Ctrl-Alt-Del before
logging on check box.

"mahendra" <mahendra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How can I configure windows 2000 professional so as to ask for password
> while
> starting before the logon screen?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 22, 2005 2:56:39 AM

I believe that Steve may have misread your question.
In order for the machine to require a password before booting
the hardware needs to support this, as newer hardware does if
you choose carefully (and the same for full disk encryption).
Otherwise, since late NT4 you can configure Windows to use
Syskey capability so that once the hardware turns over to the
OS bootstrap, Windows will go only so far before checking
for the correct key to continue booting (query on Syskey).

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
"mahendra" <mahendra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How can I configure windows 2000 professional so as to ask for password
while
> starting before the logon screen?
a b 8 Security
August 22, 2005 7:32:28 PM

I believe you are right! --- Steve

news:o N%23x24tpFHA.3036@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>I believe that Steve may have misread your question.
> In order for the machine to require a password before booting
> the hardware needs to support this, as newer hardware does if
> you choose carefully (and the same for full disk encryption).
> Otherwise, since late NT4 you can configure Windows to use
> Syskey capability so that once the hardware turns over to the
> OS bootstrap, Windows will go only so far before checking
> for the correct key to continue booting (query on Syskey).
>
> --
> Roger Abell
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
> MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
> "mahendra" <mahendra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> How can I configure windows 2000 professional so as to ask for password
> while
>> starting before the logon screen?

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 23, 2005 2:52:02 AM

Thankyou Roger. The details that I am looking for are found at
http://www.cert.org/security-improvement/implementation...

Mahendra