Windows 2000 startup password

How can I configure windows 2000 professional so as to ask for password while
starting before the logon screen?
4 answers Last reply
More about windows 2000 startup password

    See the link below how to configure autologon. In your case you will make
    sure that the option in step 4. is enabled. --- Steve

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;234562

    Preventing the Password Prompt in a Non-Domain System
    1. In Control Panel, double-click Users and Passwords.
    2. Click to clear the Users must enter a user name and password to use
    this computer check box.

    NOTE: This option does not appear on a system that is a member of a
    domain.
    3. Click the Advanced tab.
    4. Click to clear the Require users to press Ctrl-Alt-Del before
    logging on check box.

    "mahendra" <mahendra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How can I configure windows 2000 professional so as to ask for password
    > while
    > starting before the logon screen?

    I believe that Steve may have misread your question.
    In order for the machine to require a password before booting
    the hardware needs to support this, as newer hardware does if
    you choose carefully (and the same for full disk encryption).
    Otherwise, since late NT4 you can configure Windows to use
    Syskey capability so that once the hardware turns over to the
    OS bootstrap, Windows will go only so far before checking
    for the correct key to continue booting (query on Syskey).

    --
    Roger Abell
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
    "mahendra" <mahendra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How can I configure windows 2000 professional so as to ask for password
    while
    > starting before the logon screen?

    I believe you are right! --- Steve

    >I believe that Steve may have misread your question.
    > In order for the machine to require a password before booting
    > the hardware needs to support this, as newer hardware does if
    > you choose carefully (and the same for full disk encryption).
    > Otherwise, since late NT4 you can configure Windows to use
    > Syskey capability so that once the hardware turns over to the
    > OS bootstrap, Windows will go only so far before checking
    > for the correct key to continue booting (query on Syskey).
    >
    > --
    > Roger Abell
    > Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
    > MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
    > "mahendra" <mahendra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> How can I configure windows 2000 professional so as to ask for password
    > while
    >> starting before the logon screen?

    Thankyou Roger. The details that I am looking for are found at
    http://www.cert.org/security-improvement/implementations/i028.02.html

    Mahendra

    "Roger Abell" wrote:

    > I believe that Steve may have misread your question.
    > In order for the machine to require a password before booting
    > the hardware needs to support this, as newer hardware does if
    > you choose carefully (and the same for full disk encryption).
    > Otherwise, since late NT4 you can configure Windows to use
    > Syskey capability so that once the hardware turns over to the
    > OS bootstrap, Windows will go only so far before checking
    > for the correct key to continue booting (query on Syskey).
    >
    > --
    > Roger Abell
    > Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
    > MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
    > "mahendra" <mahendra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > How can I configure windows 2000 professional so as to ask for password
    > while
    > > starting before the logon screen?

Security Windows 2000 Configuration Microsoft Windows