How to prevent MS Antispyware systray icon from loading at..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Hello
How to prevent MS Antispyware systray icon from loading at Windows startup?
37 answers Last reply
More about prevent antispyware systray icon loading
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Options / Settings / General / Check "Hide the icon..."

    "Dmitry Kopnichev" wrote:

    > Hello
    > How to prevent MS Antispyware systray icon from loading at Windows startup?

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:
    > Hello
    > How to prevent MS Antispyware systray icon from loading at Windows
    > startup?

    In Taskbar/start menu, set it "always hide".
    I found out it blocks Hotmail/OE6 syncro when the icon is showing but when
    it's not there, everything works OK.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:
    > Hello
    > How to prevent MS Antispyware systray icon from loading at Windows
    > startup?

    The best way is to uninstall it, and wait until it is out of beta to
    reinstall it.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

    In news:OMDAicJJFHA.2736@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Dmitry Kopnichev <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> had this to say:

    > Hello
    > How to prevent MS Antispyware systray icon from loading at Windows
    > startup?

    Download a copy of Startup Control Panel from here:

    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

    Find and disable the items that it's starting.

    They are:

    gcasDtServ.exe
    gcasServ.exe

    Keep in mind that preventing these from running will disable the real time
    protection that the application offers.

    Galen

    mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Dimitry;
    The workaround for this is available in the Microsoft AntiSpyware
    newsgroups:
    http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "Dmitry Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
    > Hello
    > How to prevent MS Antispyware systray icon from loading at Windows
    > startup?

    Dmitry --

    Right click on the blank space of the task bar
    Make sure that "hide inactive icons" is checked
    Click on customize
    Select Microsoft Anti-Spyware and change behavior to "always hide"

    That should do it.

    Bob

    "Dmitry Kopnichev" wrote:

    > Hello
    > How to prevent MS Antispyware systray icon from loading at Windows startup?

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Andy T wrote:
    > Options / Settings / General / Check "Hide the icon..."

    How to prevent MS Antispyware systray icon from *loading* at Windows
    startup?

    How does HIDING the icon, prevent it from LOADING?

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Steffo wrote:
    > Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:
    >> Hello
    >> How to prevent MS Antispyware systray icon from loading at Windows
    >> startup?
    >
    > In Taskbar/start menu, set it "always hide".
    > I found out it blocks Hotmail/OE6 syncro when the icon is showing but
    > when it's not there, everything works OK.

    How to prevent MS Antispyware systray icon from loading at Windows
    startup?

    How does HIDING the icon, prevent it from LOADING?

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
    > Dimitry;
    > The workaround for this is available in the Microsoft AntiSpyware
    > newsgroups:
    > http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us

    LOL! Couldn't provide the "workaround" along with the group, huh?

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Yeah and if he only reports the issue here instead of in the beta groups,
    assuming it hasn't already been reported, it won't get fixed:
    http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    > Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:
    >> Hello
    >> How to prevent MS Antispyware systray icon from loading at Windows
    >> startup?
    >
    > The best way is to uninstall it, and wait until it is out of beta to
    > reinstall it.
    >
    > --
    > Peace!
    > Kurt
    > Self-anointed Moderator
    > microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    > http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    > "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    I just know the workaround is there Kurt.
    I did not say I knew what the workaround is.
    I provided a good source for the workaround.

    Are you capable of giving the OP a solution that will also leave Microsoft
    AntiSpyware installed?
    Or can you only pick at an answer I make that will lead the OP to the
    solution requested?
    I gave a source for a solution and you do nothing but criticize.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    news:ehsS0%> LOL! Couldn't provide the "workaround" along with the group,
    huh?

    > --
    > Peace!
    > Kurt
    > Self-anointed Moderator
    > xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    > http://xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    > "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
    > I just know the workaround is there Kurt.
    > I did not say I knew what the workaround is.
    > I provided a good source for the workaround.
    >
    > Are you capable of giving the OP a solution that will also leave
    > Microsoft AntiSpyware installed?

    Stop the services from starting automatically, but he wanted to do it
    from the program, but that doesn't work right. I stand by my suggestion
    to uninstall it at least until it is out of beta.

    > Or can you only pick at an answer I make that will lead the OP to the
    > solution requested?

    I can do both!

    > I gave a source for a solution and you do nothing but criticize.

    I asked a question. My, aren't you the over-sensitive one! ROFL!

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    And you wonder why some see you as a troll!

    Good bye Kurt.
    Your deliberate misdirection of this thread stops now.
    Don't forget the last word your ego demands.

    --

    > Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
    >> I just know the workaround is there Kurt.
    >> I did not say I knew what the workaround is.
    >> I provided a good source for the workaround.
    >>
    >> Are you capable of giving the OP a solution that will also leave
    >> Microsoft AntiSpyware installed?
    >
    > Stop the services from starting automatically, but he wanted to do it from
    > the program, but that doesn't work right. I stand by my suggestion to
    > uninstall it at least until it is out of beta.
    >
    >> Or can you only pick at an answer I make that will lead the OP to the
    >> solution requested?
    >
    > I can do both!
    >
    >> I gave a source for a solution and you do nothing but criticize.
    >
    > I asked a question. My, aren't you the over-sensitive one! ROFL!
    >
    > --
    > Peace!
    > Kurt
    > Self-anointed Moderator
    > xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    > http://xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    > "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    I do not want to hide the icon, I want MS Antispyware not to load, start at
    Windows startup, not to use system resources.
    "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Dmitry --
    >
    > Right click on the blank space of the task bar
    > Make sure that "hide inactive icons" is checked
    > Click on customize
    > Select Microsoft Anti-Spyware and change behavior to "always hide"
    >
    > That should do it.
    >
    > Bob
    >
    > "Dmitry Kopnichev" wrote:
    >
    >> Hello
    >> How to prevent MS Antispyware systray icon from loading at Windows
    >> startup?

    MSA only has a single "Real-Time" monitor/process that runs using
    on average 10.0 Megabytes. To disable Real-Time protection -
    Right Click the System Tray Icon, place your mouse pointer over
    the "Security Agents" on the Context Menu and click "Disable...."

    >I do not want to hide the icon, I want MS Antispyware not to load, start at
    >Windows startup, not to use system resources.
    > "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Dmitry --
    >>
    >> Right click on the blank space of the task bar
    >> Make sure that "hide inactive icons" is checked
    >> Click on customize
    >> Select Microsoft Anti-Spyware and change behavior to "always hide"
    >>
    >> That should do it.
    >>
    >> Bob
    >>
    >> "Dmitry Kopnichev" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello
    >>> How to prevent MS Antispyware systray icon from loading at Windows
    >>> startup?

    Sorry about that -- it wasn't clear what you were seeking. As far as I can
    figure out, MS Antispyware loads through the registry and not through an
    entry in a "Startup" subdirectory. The relevant registry entry APPEARS to be
    in HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current\Run and I presume
    that you can edit or remove the relevant reference. I don't claim any
    special competence in this realm, but that appears to be the point of attack.

    Since I am extremely reluctant (almost to the point of paranoia) to mess
    with registry entries, I use a piece of freeware called Startup Cop that does
    the same thing in a manner than can be reversed.

    Bob

    "Dmitry Kopnichev" wrote:

    > I do not want to hide the icon, I want MS Antispyware not to load, start at
    > Windows startup, not to use system resources.
    > "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Dmitry --
    > >
    > > Right click on the blank space of the task bar
    > > Make sure that "hide inactive icons" is checked
    > > Click on customize
    > > Select Microsoft Anti-Spyware and change behavior to "always hide"
    > >
    > > That should do it.
    > >
    > > Bob
    > >
    > > "Dmitry Kopnichev" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hello
    > >> How to prevent MS Antispyware systray icon from loading at Windows
    > >> startup?

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:

    > "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
    > message news:ePIrQnNJFHA.2736@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    >> Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
    >>> I just know the workaround is there Kurt.
    >>> I did not say I knew what the workaround is.
    >>> I provided a good source for the workaround.
    >>>
    >>> Are you capable of giving the OP a solution that will also leave
    >>> Microsoft AntiSpyware installed?
    >>
    >> Stop the services from starting automatically, but he wanted to do
    >> it from the program, but that doesn't work right. I stand by my
    >> suggestion to uninstall it at least until it is out of beta.
    >>
    >>> Or can you only pick at an answer I make that will lead the OP to
    >>> the solution requested?
    >>
    >> I can do both!
    >>
    >>> I gave a source for a solution and you do nothing but criticize.
    >>
    >> I asked a question. My, aren't you the over-sensitive one! ROFL!
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peace!
    >> Kurt
    >> Self-anointed Moderator
    >> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    >> http://xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    >> "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
    >> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx! That's how you deal with things
    you are unwilling to see, you block it from your sight. You are the
    "See no evil" monkey with its hands firmly covering its eyes!

    I ain't going away, Juppy. You can hide reality from your own eyes, but
    you cannot hide it from people that actually have an open mind.

    > And you wonder why some see you as a troll!

    Quote me. I've never wondered why you MicroDrones see me they way YOU
    want to see me. Anyone that stands up to ya'lls sycophantic beliefs,
    ya'll consider a Troll.

    > Good bye Kurt.

    Too bad that isn't the final Good Bye I'll get from you.

    > Your deliberate misdirection of this thread stops now.

    LOL! What misdirection? Of course you don't have the common decency to
    explain your baseless claim!

    > Don't forget the last word your ego demands.

    Yet another baseless claim. My ego demands nothing, as I'll respond to
    any post I feel like responding to. There are plenty of times that I
    don't respond to a post, when I have nothing further to say. Just go
    back to one of the last threads we both were involved in, "More than one
    install" and see for yourself. That is if you are willing to see
    reality! You have probably already xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'd it out of your
    mind.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    Thanks Bob. I knew this. I thought the MS Antispyware had an option in
    itself for preventing the autostartup.

    Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:
    > Thanks Bob. I knew this. I thought the MS Antispyware had an option in
    > itself for preventing the autostartup.

    There are from the menu bar, but they don't seem to work for everyone.

    I can't remember the exact path, I remove MAS a few weeks ago, after
    testing and not being happy with the results. It is one of the middle
    menu bar options that only has one entry in its submenu.

    From there, there are two options that need to be unchecked, one the
    start up option, and the real-time scan option.

    Sorry for the inexactness of my post, but I hope it helps. I really
    think MAS isn't ready for prime-time yet, and reccomend that it should
    only be used for testing purposes, not on a mission-critical system. It
    is a beta.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Exactly!
    > Andy T wrote:
    >> Options / Settings / General / Check "Hide the icon..."
    >>

    > How to prevent MS Antispyware systray icon from *loading* at Windows
    > startup?
    >
    > How does HIDING the icon, prevent it from LOADING?
    >

    > --
    > Peace!
    > Kurt
    > Self-anointed Moderator
    > microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    > http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    > "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    LOL! you post the opening page to the whole of the nGs there for MS. Now,
    how would a common user know where to look. Aside from that, searching the
    NGs using the web based reader makes keeping the beta product a tastier
    option!

    > Dimitry;
    > The workaround for this is available in the Microsoft AntiSpyware
    > newsgroups:
    > http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >

    > "Dmitry Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
    >> Hello
    >> How to prevent MS Antispyware systray icon from loading at Windows
    >> startup?

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Tom, check again, the link is specific to the spyware groups, not all of the
    Microsoft newsgroups. I posted the same link. The group list on the left
    contains only those groups related to the MS Antispyware application and not
    the rest of the MS newsgroups.

    --

    "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
    > LOL! you post the opening page to the whole of the nGs there for MS. Now,
    > how would a common user know where to look. Aside from that, searching the
    > NGs using the web based reader makes keeping the beta product a tastier
    > option!
    >
    > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    >> Dimitry;
    >> The workaround for this is available in the Microsoft AntiSpyware
    >> newsgroups:
    >> http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >>

    >> "Dmitry Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
    >>> Hello
    >>> How to prevent MS Antispyware systray icon from loading at Windows
    >>> startup?

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Tom;
    Look again.
    That is the newsgroups for Microsoft AntiSpyware and NOT "the whole of the
    nGs there for MS"
    There is no looking since the AntiSpyware newsgroups is all you get from the
    link I posted.
    Also there are instructions for NNTP newsreader.
    The OP or anyone else interested easily has options for both.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
    > LOL! you post the opening page to the whole of the nGs there for MS. Now,
    > how would a common user know where to look. Aside from that, searching the
    > NGs using the web based reader makes keeping the beta product a tastier
    > option!
    >
    > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    >> Dimitry;
    >> The workaround for this is available in the Microsoft AntiSpyware
    >> newsgroups:
    >> http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    The real-time scan option was disabled. Other options are AutoUpdater
    (disabled), Alerts (disabled), SpyNet AntiSpyware Community (disabled),
    Spyware Scan (disabled), General (disabled).
    > Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:
    >> Thanks Bob. I knew this. I thought the MS Antispyware had an option in
    >> itself for preventing the autostartup.
    >
    > There are from the menu bar, but they don't seem to work for everyone.
    >
    > I can't remember the exact path, I remove MAS a few weeks ago, after
    > testing and not being happy with the results. It is one of the middle
    > menu bar options that only has one entry in its submenu.
    >
    > From there, there are two options that need to be unchecked, one the start
    > up option, and the real-time scan option.
    >
    > Sorry for the inexactness of my post, but I hope it helps. I really think
    > MAS isn't ready for prime-time yet, and reccomend that it should only be
    > used for testing purposes, not on a mission-critical system. It is a
    > beta.
    >
    > --
    > Peace!
    > Kurt
    > Self-anointed Moderator
    > microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    > http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    > "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    I see that, but I didn't get that. I tried again and I got a page cannot be
    displayed. Before it directed me right to the main MS NG site. I cleared my
    cache, then I got the correct site. So, I stand corrected, sorry.

    > Tom;
    > Look again.
    > That is the newsgroups for Microsoft AntiSpyware and NOT "the whole of the
    > nGs there for MS"
    > There is no looking since the AntiSpyware newsgroups is all you get from
    > the link I posted.
    > Also there are instructions for NNTP newsreader.
    > The OP or anyone else interested easily has options for both.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >

    > "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
    >> LOL! you post the opening page to the whole of the nGs there for MS. Now,
    >> how would a common user know where to look. Aside from that, searching
    >> the NGs using the web based reader makes keeping the beta product a
    >> tastier option!
    >>
    >> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Dimitry;
    >>> The workaround for this is available in the Microsoft AntiSpyware
    >>> newsgroups:
    >>> http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    >>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Tom;
    Perhaps another possibility.
    For whatever reason your browser did not read the entire link.
    Notice the similarities:
    http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp
    http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us
    Identical until you get to the end.

    --

    >I see that, but I didn't get that. I tried again and I got a page cannot be
    >displayed. Before it directed me right to the main MS NG site. I cleared my
    >cache, then I got the correct site. So, I stand corrected, sorry.
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    kurttrail wrote:
    > Steffo wrote:
    >> Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:
    >>> Hello
    >>> How to prevent MS Antispyware systray icon from loading at Windows
    >>> startup?
    >>
    >> In Taskbar/start menu, set it "always hide".
    >> I found out it blocks Hotmail/OE6 syncro when the icon is showing but
    >> when it's not there, everything works OK.
    >

    > How to prevent MS Antispyware systray icon from loading at Windows
    > startup?
    >
    > How does HIDING the icon, prevent it from LOADING?

    Not at all!
    The troubles are caused by the icon in systray but the progran is just fine.
    When the program is running and the icon is showing in the systray, I cannot
    download my Hotmail emails in Outlook Express 6.
    But if the program is running and the icon is hiding, I have no more
    problems between Hotmail and OE.
    Don't ask me why but that's the way it is with me: some time ago I decided
    to uninstall MSA because of the same troubles, then I gave it a try again
    and I found a solution that works for my system.
    And all is just fine, exept the scanning scedule: my MSA starts scanning 48
    hours earlier than the time I'm setting.
    If you want to read more about it, go there:
    http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:
    > Hello
    > How to prevent MS Antispyware systray icon from loading at Windows startup?

    Options > Settings > Real-Time Protection > Uncheck the Startup and
    Real Time protection options.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:

    > How to prevent MS Antispyware systray icon from loading at
    > Windows startup?
    Hi

    How to turn off the "Real-time spyware threat protection" feature
    in Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) is described here:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;892375

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    >> How to prevent MS Antispyware systray icon from loading
    >> at Windows
    >> startup?

    > Find and disable the items that it's starting.
    > gcasDtServ.exe
    > gcasServ.exe

    The program was presumably downloaded and installed earlier
    today after I received an update message. But I have no icon
    my systray and neither of those two programs exist anywhere
    on my system.

    What gives?

    --
    Bob

    Kanyak's Doghouse
    http://www.kanyak.com
  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 20:46:19 +0200, Opinicus wrote:

    > The program was presumably downloaded and installed earlier
    > today after I received an update message. But I have no icon
    > my systray and neither of those two programs exist anywhere
    > on my system.
    >
    > What gives?

    Bob, the download yesterday was not for MS AntiSpyware. It was for a
    malware removal tool. It downloads, runs and if nothing is found -
    disappears. If anything is found, you receive a notice on the screen. This
    little program is similar to McAffee's Stinger tool in that it checks for a
    handful of common intrusions only.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    In news:112uh3thas93131@news.supernews.com,
    Opinicus <gezgin@spamcop.net> had this to say:

    > "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>> How to prevent MS Antispyware systray icon from loading
    >>> at Windows
    >>> startup?
    >
    >> Find and disable the items that it's starting.
    >> gcasDtServ.exe
    >> gcasServ.exe
    >
    > The program was presumably downloaded and installed earlier
    > today after I received an update message. But I have no icon
    > my systray and neither of those two programs exist anywhere
    > on my system.
    >
    > What gives?

    You downloaded what program? Startup Contrl Panel? Good. Install it. Now
    open Control Panel, switch to classic view, find startup, open it, disable
    the two items listed, and you'll no longer have Microsoft Anti-Spyware
    running. It's a lot like MSCONFIG only better.

    Galen

    mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes
  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    "Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote

    > Bob, the download yesterday was not for MS AntiSpyware. It
    > was for a
    > malware removal tool. It downloads, runs and if nothing is
    > found -
    > disappears. If anything is found, you receive a notice on
    > the screen.

    Thanks for the clarification, Sharon.

    --
    Bob

    Kanyak's Doghouse
    http://www.kanyak.com
  34. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 22:10:05 +0200, Opinicus wrote:

    > Thanks for the clarification, Sharon.

    You're welcome
    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 13:40:05 +0100, "Steffo" <steffo@nospam.com> wrote:
    >Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:

    >> How to prevent MS Antispyware systray icon from loading at Windows
    >> startup?

    >In Taskbar/start menu, set it "always hide".

    How about "not load"? I don't want it loaded, but hidden. Running
    betaware underfoot all the time is not my idea of a good time.

    >---------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
    Cats have 9 lives, which makes them
    ideal for experimentation!
    >---------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
  36. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 16:12:40 -0500, "kurttrail"
    <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:

    >Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
    >
    >> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
    >> message news:ePIrQnNJFHA.2736@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

    >>> Stop the services from starting automatically, but he wanted to do
    >>> it from the program, but that doesn't work right. I stand by my
    >>> suggestion to uninstall it at least until it is out of beta.

    >>> I can do both!

    >>> I asked a question. My, aren't you the over-sensitive one! ROFL!
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Peace!
    >>> Kurt
    >>> Self-anointed Moderator
    >>> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    >>> http://xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    >>> "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
    >>> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
    >
    >xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx! That's how you deal with things
    >you are unwilling to see, you block it from your sight. You are the
    >"See no evil" monkey with its hands firmly covering its eyes!
    >
    >I ain't going away, Juppy. You can hide reality from your own eyes, but
    >you cannot hide it from people that actually have an open mind.
    >
    >> And you wonder why some see you as a troll!
    >
    >Quote me. I've never wondered why you MicroDrones see me they way YOU
    >want to see me. Anyone that stands up to ya'lls sycophantic beliefs,
    >ya'll consider a Troll.
    >
    >> Good bye Kurt.
    >
    >Too bad that isn't the final Good Bye I'll get from you.
    >
    >> Your deliberate misdirection of this thread stops now.
    >
    >LOL! What misdirection? Of course you don't have the common decency to
    >explain your baseless claim!
    >
    >> Don't forget the last word your ego demands.
    >
    >Yet another baseless claim. My ego demands nothing, as I'll respond to
    >any post I feel like responding to. There are plenty of times that I
    >don't respond to a post, when I have nothing further to say. Just go
    >back to one of the last threads we both were involved in, "More than one
    >install" and see for yourself. That is if you are willing to see
    >reality! You have probably already xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'd it out of your
    >mind.

    Instead of being contrary, why not just admit that your
    solution, which was to wait until the product was out of beta, was not
    very helpful. That would only delay the issue. OTOH, others have
    posted actual solutions.
  37. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    jimpgh2002 wrote:
    > On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 16:12:40 -0500, "kurttrail"
    > <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:
    >
    >> Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
    >>
    >>> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
    >>> message news:ePIrQnNJFHA.2736@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

    >> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx! That's how you deal with things
    >> you are unwilling to see, you block it from your sight. You are the
    >> "See no evil" monkey with its hands firmly covering its eyes!
    >>
    >> I ain't going away, Juppy. You can hide reality from your own eyes,
    >> but you cannot hide it from people that actually have an open mind.
    >>
    >>> And you wonder why some see you as a troll!
    >>
    >> Quote me. I've never wondered why you MicroDrones see me they way
    >> YOU want to see me. Anyone that stands up to ya'lls sycophantic
    >> beliefs, ya'll consider a Troll.
    >>
    >>> Good bye Kurt.
    >>
    >> Too bad that isn't the final Good Bye I'll get from you.
    >>
    >>> Your deliberate misdirection of this thread stops now.
    >>
    >> LOL! What misdirection? Of course you don't have the common
    >> decency to explain your baseless claim!
    >>
    >>> Don't forget the last word your ego demands.
    >>
    >> Yet another baseless claim. My ego demands nothing, as I'll respond
    >> to any post I feel like responding to. There are plenty of times
    >> that I don't respond to a post, when I have nothing further to say.
    >> Just go back to one of the last threads we both were involved in,
    >> "More than one install" and see for yourself. That is if you are
    >> willing to see reality! You have probably already xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'd
    >> it out of your mind.
    >
    > Instead of being contrary, why not just admit that your
    > solution, which was to wait until the product was out of beta, was not
    > very helpful. That would only delay the issue. OTOH, others have
    > posted actual solutions.

    LOL! Which one? Turning off the settings doesn't get rid of the icon
    from loading in the system tray. Only stopping the services does.

    Beta's should be used for testing purposes only, and not relied on by
    the general public. People should not be taught to rely on beta
    products. It is totally negligent to do so, especially since MS doesn't
    support it's OS, and only backs up problems caused by its beta MAS to
    the tune of $5.

    Also it ain't very smart to rely of one company to provide all of your
    computer security. MS is already the biggest security hole in the
    computer world, just by its size and saturation in the market.

    But the Biggest problem with MAS is it's false positives. It is not a
    product that is ready for primetime. And by turning of the services, a
    user might as well uninstall it, and use more mature Anti-spyware
    products.

    What was posted were work-arounds, not solutions. And you might as well
    uninstall products that need to be worked-around, especially beta
    products. And it is just YOUR opinion that mine is not helpful. The OP
    might not be the only person reading this thread. Some noobs maybe
    reading it, and may be considering installing the obviously flawed beta
    of MAS, and if my contrary opinion helped give them second thoughts
    about installing it, then I consisder that my actions here were helpful.

    Or do you think that everybody and his grandmother should be installing
    any and all beta products they come across? Aren't these groups filled
    of enough problems with non-beta MS software?

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator