How to prevent MS Antispyware systray icon from loading at..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Hello
How to prevent MS Antispyware systray icon from loading at Windows startup?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Options / Settings / General / Check "Hide the icon..."

Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:
> Hello
> How to prevent MS Antispyware systray icon from loading at Windows
> startup?

In Taskbar/start menu, set it "always hide".
I found out it blocks Hotmail/OE6 syncro when the icon is showing but when
it's not there, everything works OK.

Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:
> Hello
> How to prevent MS Antispyware systray icon from loading at Windows
> startup?

The best way is to uninstall it, and wait until it is out of beta to
reinstall it.

--
Peace!
Kurt

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:OMDAicJJFHA.2736@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Dmitry Kopnichev <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> had this to say:

> Hello
> How to prevent MS Antispyware systray icon from loading at Windows
> startup?

Download a copy of Startup Control Panel from here:

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Find and disable the items that it's starting.

They are:

gcasDtServ.exe
gcasServ.exe

Keep in mind that preventing these from running will disable the real time
protection that the application offers.

Galen

mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Dimitry;
The workaround for this is available in the Microsoft AntiSpyware
newsgroups:
http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Dmitry Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
> Hello
> How to prevent MS Antispyware systray icon from loading at Windows
> startup?

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Dmitry --

Right click on the blank space of the task bar
Make sure that "hide inactive icons" is checked
Click on customize
Select Microsoft Anti-Spyware and change behavior to "always hide"

That should do it.

Bob

Andy T wrote:
> Options / Settings / General / Check "Hide the icon..."

How to prevent MS Antispyware systray icon from *loading* at Windows
startup?

How does HIDING the icon, prevent it from LOADING?

--

Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
> Dimitry;
> The workaround for this is available in the Microsoft AntiSpyware
> newsgroups:
> http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us

LOL! Couldn't provide the "workaround" along with the group, huh?

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Yeah and if he only reports the issue here instead of in the beta groups,
assuming it hasn't already been reported, it won't get fixed:
http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

> Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:
>> Hello
>> How to prevent MS Antispyware systray icon from loading at Windows
>> startup?
>
> The best way is to uninstall it, and wait until it is out of beta to
> reinstall it.
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

I just know the workaround is there Kurt.
I did not say I knew what the workaround is.
I provided a good source for the workaround.

Are you capable of giving the OP a solution that will also leave Microsoft
AntiSpyware installed?
Or can you only pick at an answer I make that will lead the OP to the
solution requested?
I gave a source for a solution and you do nothing but criticize.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

news:ehsS0%> LOL! Couldn't provide the "workaround" along with the group,
huh?

Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
> I just know the workaround is there Kurt.
> I did not say I knew what the workaround is.
> I provided a good source for the workaround.
>
> Are you capable of giving the OP a solution that will also leave
> Microsoft AntiSpyware installed?

Stop the services from starting automatically, but he wanted to do it
from the program, but that doesn't work right. I stand by my suggestion
to uninstall it at least until it is out of beta.

> Or can you only pick at an answer I make that will lead the OP to the
> solution requested?

I can do both!

> I gave a source for a solution and you do nothing but criticize.

I asked a question. My, aren't you the over-sensitive one! ROFL!

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

And you wonder why some see you as a troll!

Good bye Kurt.
Your deliberate misdirection of this thread stops now.
Don't forget the last word your ego demands.

--

> Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
>> I just know the workaround is there Kurt.
>> I did not say I knew what the workaround is.
>> I provided a good source for the workaround.
>>
>> Are you capable of giving the OP a solution that will also leave
>> Microsoft AntiSpyware installed?
>
> Stop the services from starting automatically, but he wanted to do it from
> the program, but that doesn't work right. I stand by my suggestion to
> uninstall it at least until it is out of beta.
>
>> Or can you only pick at an answer I make that will lead the OP to the
>> solution requested?
>
> I can do both!
>
>> I gave a source for a solution and you do nothing but criticize.
>
> I asked a question. My, aren't you the over-sensitive one! ROFL!
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

I do not want to hide the icon, I want MS Antispyware not to load, start at
Windows startup, not to use system resources.
"Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dmitry --
>
> Right click on the blank space of the task bar
> Make sure that "hide inactive icons" is checked
> Click on customize
> Select Microsoft Anti-Spyware and change behavior to "always hide"
>
> That should do it.
>
> Bob
>
> "Dmitry Kopnichev" wrote:
>
>> Hello
>> How to prevent MS Antispyware systray icon from loading at Windows
>> startup?

MSA only has a single "Real-Time" monitor/process that runs using
on average 10.0 Megabytes. To disable Real-Time protection -
Right Click the System Tray Icon, place your mouse pointer over
the "Security Agents" on the Context Menu and click "Disable...."

>I do not want to hide the icon, I want MS Antispyware not to load, start at
>Windows startup, not to use system resources.
> "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Dmitry --
>>
>> Right click on the blank space of the task bar
>> Make sure that "hide inactive icons" is checked
>> Click on customize
>> Select Microsoft Anti-Spyware and change behavior to "always hide"
>>
>> That should do it.
>>
>> Bob
>>
>> "Dmitry Kopnichev" wrote:
>>
>>> Hello
>>> How to prevent MS Antispyware systray icon from loading at Windows
>>> startup?

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Sorry about that -- it wasn't clear what you were seeking. As far as I can
figure out, MS Antispyware loads through the registry and not through an
entry in a "Startup" subdirectory. The relevant registry entry APPEARS to be
in HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current\Run and I presume
that you can edit or remove the relevant reference. I don't claim any
special competence in this realm, but that appears to be the point of attack.

Since I am extremely reluctant (almost to the point of paranoia) to mess
with registry entries, I use a piece of freeware called Startup Cop that does
the same thing in a manner than can be reversed.

Bob

Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:

> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
> message news:ePIrQnNJFHA.2736@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
>>> I just know the workaround is there Kurt.
>>> I did not say I knew what the workaround is.
>>> I provided a good source for the workaround.
>>>
>>> Are you capable of giving the OP a solution that will also leave
>>> Microsoft AntiSpyware installed?
>>
>> Stop the services from starting automatically, but he wanted to do
>> it from the program, but that doesn't work right. I stand by my
>> suggestion to uninstall it at least until it is out of beta.
>>
>>> Or can you only pick at an answer I make that will lead the OP to
>>> the solution requested?
>>
>> I can do both!
>>
>>> I gave a source for a solution and you do nothing but criticize.
>>
>> I asked a question. My, aren't you the over-sensitive one! ROFL!
>>
>> --
>> Peace!
>> Kurt
>> Self-anointed Moderator
>> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> http://xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
>> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx! That's how you deal with things
you are unwilling to see, you block it from your sight. You are the
"See no evil" monkey with its hands firmly covering its eyes!

I ain't going away, Juppy. You can hide reality from your own eyes, but
you cannot hide it from people that actually have an open mind.

> And you wonder why some see you as a troll!

Quote me. I've never wondered why you MicroDrones see me they way YOU
want to see me. Anyone that stands up to ya'lls sycophantic beliefs,
ya'll consider a Troll.

> Good bye Kurt.

Too bad that isn't the final Good Bye I'll get from you.

> Your deliberate misdirection of this thread stops now.

LOL! What misdirection? Of course you don't have the common decency to
explain your baseless claim!

> Don't forget the last word your ego demands.

Yet another baseless claim. My ego demands nothing, as I'll respond to
any post I feel like responding to. There are plenty of times that I
don't respond to a post, when I have nothing further to say. Just go
back to one of the last threads we both were involved in, "More than one
install" and see for yourself. That is if you are willing to see
reality! You have probably already xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'd it out of your
mind.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Thanks Bob. I knew this. I thought the MS Antispyware had an option in
itself for preventing the autostartup.

Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:
> Thanks Bob. I knew this. I thought the MS Antispyware had an option in
> itself for preventing the autostartup.

There are from the menu bar, but they don't seem to work for everyone.

I can't remember the exact path, I remove MAS a few weeks ago, after
testing and not being happy with the results. It is one of the middle
menu bar options that only has one entry in its submenu.

From there, there are two options that need to be unchecked, one the
start up option, and the real-time scan option.

Sorry for the inexactness of my post, but I hope it helps. I really
think MAS isn't ready for prime-time yet, and reccomend that it should
only be used for testing purposes, not on a mission-critical system. It
is a beta.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Exactly!
> Andy T wrote:
>> Options / Settings / General / Check "Hide the icon..."
>>

> How to prevent MS Antispyware systray icon from *loading* at Windows
> startup?
>
> How does HIDING the icon, prevent it from LOADING?
>

> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

LOL! you post the opening page to the whole of the nGs there for MS. Now,
how would a common user know where to look. Aside from that, searching the
NGs using the web based reader makes keeping the beta product a tastier
option!

> Dimitry;
> The workaround for this is available in the Microsoft AntiSpyware
> newsgroups:
> http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "Dmitry Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
>> Hello
>> How to prevent MS Antispyware systray icon from loading at Windows
>> startup?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Tom, check again, the link is specific to the spyware groups, not all of the
Microsoft newsgroups. I posted the same link. The group list on the left
contains only those groups related to the MS Antispyware application and not
the rest of the MS newsgroups.

--

"Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
> LOL! you post the opening page to the whole of the nGs there for MS. Now,
> how would a common user know where to look. Aside from that, searching the
> NGs using the web based reader makes keeping the beta product a tastier
> option!
>
> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
>> Dimitry;
>> The workaround for this is available in the Microsoft AntiSpyware
>> newsgroups:
>> http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us
>>
>> --
>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>>

>> "Dmitry Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
>>> Hello
>>> How to prevent MS Antispyware systray icon from loading at Windows
>>> startup?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Tom;
Look again.
That is the newsgroups for Microsoft AntiSpyware and NOT "the whole of the
nGs there for MS"
There is no looking since the AntiSpyware newsgroups is all you get from the
link I posted.
Also there are instructions for NNTP newsreader.
The OP or anyone else interested easily has options for both.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
> LOL! you post the opening page to the whole of the nGs there for MS. Now,
> how would a common user know where to look. Aside from that, searching the
> NGs using the web based reader makes keeping the beta product a tastier
> option!
>
> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
>> Dimitry;
>> The workaround for this is available in the Microsoft AntiSpyware
>> newsgroups:
>> http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us
>>
>> --
>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

The real-time scan option was disabled. Other options are AutoUpdater
(disabled), Alerts (disabled), SpyNet AntiSpyware Community (disabled),
Spyware Scan (disabled), General (disabled).