Help with Radeon x1900 - weird stripes

lucianomt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
I have the following system:
Windows XP, Athlon 64 +3500, Asus A8N-SLI, Radeon x1900

I was watching a video, when suddenly the screen froze. I rebooted my computer and since then I have 4 colorful vertical stripes on my screen at all times, like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17853757@n0...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/17853757@n0...

Right after this happened, I immediately checked for overheating, but everything seemed normal, the cooler fans was running too. Everything else seems to work fine, I can even play videos (with stripes).

The only other trouble is when I try to play any game, it either doesn't load or sends this message: "Failed to find a supported rendering device." I have tried reinstalling the latest driver with no success.

Any clues?

Cruton

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
I'm no expert, I would try to uninstall the card--delete it out of device manager and then reboot the computer, this would hopefully fix the gameplaying. For the vertical lines, try moving the card to a different port on the MB (To tell if the port is the problem). Try swapping it out with an older card (if the lines go away, then you definatly know that the problem is with the card). Again, try unistalling the card first and rebooting to reinstall the drivers. Good Luck!!

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I'm no expert, I would try to uninstall the card--delete it out of device manager and then reboot the computer, this would hopefully fix the gameplaying. For the vertical lines, try moving the card to a different port on the MB (To tell if the port is the problem). Try swapping it out with an older card (if the lines go away, then you definatly know that the problem is with the card). Again, try unistalling the card first and rebooting to reinstall the drivers. Good Luck!!
Agree with the approach, but 9 times out of 10, that's a video card failure.

Xcountry

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
I just installed a Sapphire 1950 Pro Ultimate and had a problem with rows of small squares appearing on the screen dring gaming. Eventually the system would crash. Down loaded new catalyst drivers from ATI site, which so far have fixed the problem. The drivers were posted by ATI on 02-21-07, you may want to check them out, might help.