Hi,

I need to connect SQL server to a remote machine. We got 2 options either to
connect it thru a firewall ( allowing only our server ip and the specific
PORT) or VPN. Can anyone tell me which is the better one ? What are the adv
of each of these ? I am very new to this area?

thanks in advance
Lara

You don't really give enough information to help with the proper solution
but the advantage of a VPN is that the traffic is encrypted and if L2TP is
used computers are also authenticated before VPN traffic can begin. Ipsec
endpoint devices are also a type of VPN that can encrypt and authenticate
traffic. If you don't use VPN, ipsec, or SSL then the traffic is most
likely not encrypted and subject to eavesdropping and modifying. --- Steve