What happens when a spark goes off?

TheGodfather

Distinguished
May 14, 2006
i modded my 7600gt with the pencil but everything was fine it botted but when i was using the multimeter i think the metal end toched something elese and my pc went off.So i unplugded the power cable and plug it back in and i turn the pc and i spark comes off and i smell something.So i take out the graphic card and boot the system and i booted into windows because i hear the start up sound and i think everything worked exept the graphic card.So what do you think my whole pc works exept the graphic card right?And i didnt put back the graphic card in back yet i dont know what to do?Could it have burned?

King-Of-Kings

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
This is why i don't think people should overclock unless they absolutely know what thier doing.

I see so many parents come into my work and say somethings wrong with thier computer after their kid was fiddling around with this. And i just think stupids idiots trying to overclock thier computers.

Me personally, i'd rather pay more for faster parts and not worry about breaking $300 products while trying to tweak them.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
You have now opened the bottle and let the Magic Blue Smoke geniie out... No telling what havoc he will wreak on your system now that he's loose.

Try to borrow a friend's GPU and see if you still have a friend.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
This is why i don't think people should overclock unless they absolutely know what thier doing.

I see so many parents come into my work and say somethings wrong with thier computer after their kid was fiddling around with this. And i just think stupids idiots trying to overclock thier computers.

Me personally, i'd rather pay more for faster parts and not worry about breaking $300 products while trying to tweak them.
Are you sure you practice what you preach? You must have overclocked (yes, I know this isn't possible) your hard drive because WD doesn't sell a 400 GB model that runs at 10k RPM... well, that's what your signature says.

BaldEagle

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
is it safe to put the card back in into my system?

Repeat this back to yourself out loud and you should have your own answer. "I think I fried my graphics card so if I plug the cooked part back into my system will I see smoke from more than my grahics card?"

The answer is...... do you really want to answer that question.

King-Of-Kings

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Are you sure you practice what you preach? You must have overclocked (yes, I know this isn't possible) your hard drive because WD doesn't sell a 400 GB model that runs at 10k RPM... well, that's what your signature says.

Well they must, seeing as how i own one. :idea:

And like i said, i don't do any overclocking what so ever.

uber_g

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006

True Dat

TheGodfather

Distinguished
May 14, 2006
well guys i was a dik and i put it back in and the card cought on fire but i turned the whole pc down and booted without the graphic card and pc still boot to windows because i hear the start up sound.

But the 7600gt is smoked will evga take it for repair?

Blacken

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004
the card cought on fire

Damn man, sorry. Never thought it would catch on fire
yikes.gif

well guys i was a dik and i put it back in and the card cought on fire but i turned the whole pc down and booted without the graphic card and pc still boot to windows because i hear the start up sound.

But the 7600gt is smoked will evga take it for repair?

A computer will not boot without VGA graphics. It halts on an error and beeps, which is what you are hearing (not the beep loading windows).

So until you actually put a vid card in it, you aint booting anywhere.

baddog1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006

Well they must, seeing as how i own one. :idea:

And like i said, i don't do any overclocking what so ever.

You have a 400GB 10krpm hdd? 8O

Want to buy a two terabyte 20krpm Seagate? It'll blow yours away. 8)

TheGodfather

Distinguished
May 14, 2006
My system:
Intel Conroe E6600 at 3.21 ghz
Corsair XMS2 3gb DDR2 800
Asus P5W Deluxe
Thermaltake Tsunami Case
Western Digital Raptor 150gb +Seagate 320GB 7200.10
Antec NeoHe 550 watts
Evga 7600gt CO 605core 801 mem
Creative Labs Xfi elite pro
Logitech z-5500 speakers
Dell UltraSharp 2407WFP

I dont have onboard and i do boot to windows i hear the nice sound that windows makes and then the error message of windows which probably says that no video is detected.

I was suprised also when i got on fire i didnt know what to do because i am not going to put water on if its connected to power.But it went of by it self.But i touched my harddrives they work(shake little bit :) )I feel the heat from ram motherboard turn on because all fans and all that stuff turn on and psu gives power.Sound card works because i hear sound.So system is fine exept graphic card.

Does anybody think that evga will accepted?I erased the modding on vmem and vcore so they wont notice i took of the aftermarket vc900 and memory heatsink so i could always bulshit them i was running in windows and all of a sudden i got a spark and then turned the system on again and it cought on fire.

I have no idea what i would do if my whole pc got on fire :(.Pretty crazy because pc parts dont go on fire right?

But you know whats funny the pc didnt shut down it was burning for 5 seconds and didnt shut down:).

no kidding it didnt shut down. DID U TURN IT OFF?
and 20amp system... and your surprised a fire can start? WOW.
And I do not believe you that your system boots and you hear the 'DING DING DING" of windows w/o a video card or onboard video.

All bios' will send an error code to c#80 and halt the system... UNLESS.... maybe you fried your slot and your system has no fkn clue if a card is inserted or not.

But that is unlikely.

TheGodfather

Distinguished
May 14, 2006
of course i turned it off and i am suprised that a fire started because come on computers dont go on fire.And i dont know if dont believe me then what can i tell you i boot but i get the error sound which probably states that there is no video.If my pci express slot would be burned i think i would see like black spots or the card it self would get power right?Because 7600gt gets power from the motherboard doesint it?

And also i will get a cheat pci express card at a local pc store and return it in like 3 weeks.But is it safe to put it in?It should have a problem right if i turn the pc on without my old graphic card and get sparks or w/e.

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
lol, now we have to say what we would have done in this situation to prevent shit from catching fire again, lol.

i assume he did the volt mod and it worked correctly but he accidentally shorted something else with his voltmeters probe, this could have melted wires together and cause a perm short in your gfx card.

i know that from experience, using a volt meter on your pc while it is running is not a good idea, you should have it set up then turn your pc on, because your psu ramps up the power when it senses high load aka the sparks, even if you aren't shorting a computer with a voltmeter and you have the computer on and you test the 3.3v wire it will spark because of the current.

from what i can tell is the volt mod was not what broke it but the short from the voltmeter. volt mods are fairly safe, unless you go overboard on it, lol

also, when you stuck it back in your computer did you rub the pencil off to remove the volt mod, because maybe when doing that you rubbed it onto something else.