Folder Sharing using Computer Accounts

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b 8 Security
September 5, 2005 2:18:01 AM

What are the in's and out's of specifying Computer accounts in the
permissions list of folder shares as opposed to specifying user accounts?
Can it be done? Is it a silly idea? Am I on this planet?

TIA

Nigel
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
September 5, 2005 11:38:17 AM

If you are not on this planet, please let me know how you did it !
What you describe is commonly done in order to all the machine's
System account to have access to the remote file, for example, for
a startup or shutdown script. If the access is to be done in the
context of the computer's System account (including by Network
Service going off-box), then granting to the domain member's
computer account is what one does do.
--
ra
"Nigel Tidswell" <NigelTidswell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 13E2480-E07D-424A-B058-5AD60A43DF65@microsoft.com...
> What are the in's and out's of specifying Computer accounts in the
> permissions list of folder shares as opposed to specifying user accounts?
> Can it be done? Is it a silly idea? Am I on this planet?
>
> TIA
>
> Nigel

March 23, 2009 11:54:08 AM

Quote:

If you are not on this planet, please let me know how you did it !
What you describe is commonly done in order to all the machine's
System account to have access to the remote file, for example, for
a startup or shutdown script. If the access is to be done in the
context of the computer's System account (including by Network
Service going off-box), then granting to the domain member's
computer account is what one does do.
--
ra
"Nigel Tidswell" <NigelTidswell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 13E2480-E07D-424A-B058-5AD60A43DF65@microsoft.com...
> What are the in's and out's of specifying Computer accounts in the
> permissions list of folder shares as opposed to specifying user accounts?
> Can it be done? Is it a silly idea? Am I on this planet?
>
> TIA
>
> Nigel

Hi.

If the share is on a Domain, give permissions to the "Domain Computers" Group.. or Dive permissions to the "NETWORK SYSTEM" Account

JLCarvalho

PS: Only after i saw this post is several years old :S
!