Folder Sharing using Computer Accounts

What are the in's and out's of specifying Computer accounts in the
permissions list of folder shares as opposed to specifying user accounts?
Can it be done? Is it a silly idea? Am I on this planet?

TIA

Nigel
2 answers Last reply
More about folder sharing computer accounts

    If you are not on this planet, please let me know how you did it !
    What you describe is commonly done in order to all the machine's
    System account to have access to the remote file, for example, for
    a startup or shutdown script. If the access is to be done in the
    context of the computer's System account (including by Network
    Service going off-box), then granting to the domain member's
    computer account is what one does do.
    --
    ra
    "Nigel Tidswell" <NigelTidswell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > What are the in's and out's of specifying Computer accounts in the
    > permissions list of folder shares as opposed to specifying user accounts?
    > Can it be done? Is it a silly idea? Am I on this planet?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Nigel

  2. Quote:

    If you are not on this planet, please let me know how you did it !
    What you describe is commonly done in order to all the machine's
    System account to have access to the remote file, for example, for
    a startup or shutdown script. If the access is to be done in the
    context of the computer's System account (including by Network
    Service going off-box), then granting to the domain member's
    computer account is what one does do.
    --
    ra
    "Nigel Tidswell" <NigelTidswell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > What are the in's and out's of specifying Computer accounts in the
    > permissions list of folder shares as opposed to specifying user accounts?
    > Can it be done? Is it a silly idea? Am I on this planet?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Nigel

    Hi.

    If the share is on a Domain, give permissions to the "Domain Computers" Group.. or Dive permissions to the "NETWORK SYSTEM" Account

    JLCarvalho

    PS: Only after i saw this post is several years old :S

Security Computers Microsoft User Accounts Permissions Windows