PSU good with 8800gts?!?!? plz help

Although the wintech-OEM rosewill units are not so bad, this one may fall a bit short at only 30A on the +12v and it's $73 shipped!

One suggestion would be the ePOWER ZU-550W, +12v@38A gives you a bit more wiggle room.
Stay away from newegg on this deal, get it from ewiz for $47 /$58 shipped (yes I know their shipping is worse but less markup is to our benefit!)

My choice would be either the:
-antec tp3-550 for under $90 shipped since it clocks in at +12v@42A
-Corsair HX520W for $99 shipped @ buy.com, +12v@40A

cberry8

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
checked out the epower, realizing that multiple ppl as well as reviewers mention that it isnt as quiet as i would like. and nothing against you guys, but i really dont believe in spending +$100 on a psu. built many systems, oc'ing and all and have all worked great, just wanted some feedback from you guys before i went and bought something, but i ended up going with this one...

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817128002

any thoughts, please lemme know

NamelessMC

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2005
checked out the epower, realizing that multiple ppl as well as reviewers mention that it isnt as quiet as i would like. and nothing against you guys, but i really dont believe in spending +$100 on a psu. built many systems, oc'ing and all and have all worked great, just wanted some feedback from you guys before i went and bought something, but i ended up going with this one...

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817128002

any thoughts, please lemme know

If you already bought it, why do you even ask us what we think?

Fine I'll tell you what I think. I think you're an inconsiderate, misinformed ignorant tool and you came here and wasted the forum gurus' time by pretending to ask for advice, only to get a piece of junk power supply.

Let me fill you in. Maybe a year and a half ago, a cheap power supply was enough to get you by. That's because a year and a half ago, the most you would need on 12v rails was 20-25 amps. That's with a high end system.

With Dual Core CPUs dominating the market, GPUs and SATA hard drives, just to run a DECENT dual core system you'd need 30-35 amps on the 12v rails. That's why server-grade power supplies are starting to get more popular. Why? Because NOWADAYS you CANT get by with a cheap power supply.

It frustrates me when people say, "Well in the last 5 years I've built 150,000 computer systems, over-clocked to high hell, and we got by with 350 watters back in them days!"

That might be true, but 5 years ago in computer technology might as well be considered the STONE AGE.

You spent $100 on a crappy piece of junk PSU that I'd find luck if you survived more than 3 months with, and not to mention someone recommended you a MUCH BETTER power supply for the SAME PRICE.

You missed out, and you had a chance to really make your PC impressive. As far as I'm concerned, 8800GTS or not, your system doesn't impress me, because the PSU you put in it would be lucky to power a microwave.

The Hiper Type M is considered junk to PSU gurus because it's a cheap version of the Type R, which wasn't even an impressive PSU to begin with.

There's my thoughts, since you asked for them.

Welcome to the forums and have a nice day. :D

cberry8

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
if you wanna be a dick, whatever, all the pc's i have built are still running fine, including the one im using at the moment, 2-3 years old, running cod2 on it, only thing i have updated is my video card to a 7600gt, everything is still silent, so shut the hell up there.

also i havent bought it yet, just worded my post wrong, i apologize :?

so before you call me a tool, dont just assume things, cause it makes you looking like a fucking idiot, im just trying to find the cheapest psu i can get because i have in the past, dont care what you say about how much of a difference it is today with all of the new cpu's and vid cards and oc'ing now, but im just telling you what i have done in the past and am just looking to see how cheap i can get them now.

so stfu, and dont be a dick