[MAET ILOC YM ETAR] Cheap and cheerful Sapphire trade-ins

Last response: in Video Games
July 5, 2004 9:13:04 AM

The theme of the team is that these are my pets from Sapphire, used
mainly for defeating the Elite Four. I've TMed them a little bit
since I'd kept high-PP moves on them for the sake of easier training.
They're all on :L96, but odds are they'll all hit :L100 tonight.

Their purpose is to handle battle mode in Coli.

Torkoal
@Quick Claw
Flamethrower
Iron Defense
Amnesia
Body Slam

I only wanted Torkoal because he looked cool, but he makes an
excellent tank due to White Smoke. I couldn't really think of an item
to give him, so he got Quick Claw simply because he'll ALWAYS go last
without it, and therefore has the greatest chance of needing it.

Walrein (BALLRUS)
@Leftovers
Ice Beam
Surf
Body Slam
Hail

I trained Torkoal and Ballrus at the same time in Sapphire, and
they've been together since, which is why one's heavily defensive and
the other's heavily offensive. Coli gave them the chance to fight
side-by-side more often, which I loved. Anyway, this is a
does-what-it-says-on-the-tin Pokémon. Hail can come in useful in
one-on-one battles, especially when I don't want to trade out to take
care of Shedinja.

Magneton
@Focus Band
Thunder
Spark
Thunderwave
Screech

I know, I know, two electric moves. They serve different purposes,
though - Spark is a compromise between Thunder and Thunderwave, I
find. Thunder's there to counter the use of Rain Dance mainly, and
since I have a silly amount of money in Coli, I bought the TM just
because it previously had Thundershock. Suggestions for improvement
would be appreciated, naturally. Screech is for teamwork purposes,
since I'll be trying my best not to leave out poor Mag as my final
battler.

I intended to buy it one of those berries that raise Sp.Attack "in a
pinch", but I spent all my coupons on TMs and Ballrus's Leftovers, so
I could only afford a Focus Band. It probably needs the Focus Band
more, to be honest, despite not being wonderfully successful. Then
again, I don't really know what they mean when they say "in a pinch".

Mightyena
@Silk Scarf
Crunch
Hyper Beam
Thief
Howl

Um, yeah. I know the Silk Scarf kinda makes Thief redundant, but my
Mightyena's gimmick here is to boost the power of Hyper Beam as much
as possible. Howl makes a lot of difference when it's such a
high-powered attack. Mag's Screech helps too.

I can always get Thief back with a Heart Scale, since Mightyena learns
it through level-up, so I don't really mind replacing it temporarily,
although I wouldn't want to use a rare TM over it.

Swellow
@
Aerial Ace
Toxic
Fly
Double Team

What! Two Flying moves? Yes, two Flying moves. Aerial Ace for when
he's suffering, to take advantage of Guts and go out with a banch, and
Fly to complement Toxic and Double Team - raise evasion and escape
every other turn while the posion does its thing.

I've forgotten what its item is, but I may give it the Sharp Beak,
depending on what I decide to do with my final teammate.

Altaria (PRESERVER)
@Sharp Beak
Dragonbreath
Fly
False Swipe
Sing

Preserver's my False Swiping Swablu baby which came with Pokémon Box.
Superuseful for capturing Pokémon, especially that last Togetic in
Coli, but lacking somewhat in the serious battling department. It's
nice to have a decent Dragon move on my team, seeing as only Steel
types resist it, and Altaria's one of only a handful of dragons that
aren't cheap, but...

I'm considering training up a Baton Passer to replace Altaria - either
Gorebyss or Ninjask, probably. A Swords Dancer would be a good friend
for almost everyone, especially Mightyena, and Ninjask's autoAgility
ability would certainly go down well with Torkoal. Any other
suggestions are welcome.

Overall, the team has plenty of physical weaknesses - Rock, Ground and
Fighting mainly - but generally, for every weakness, there's one or
two that resist or are immune to that move. That said, weaknesses
don't bother me too much with Torkoal on the team.

--
Steffan
Anonymous

sha3@aber.ac.uk (Steffan Alun) wrote in message news:<7147bf5b.0407050413.23dce764@posting.google.com>...
> Torkoal
> @Quick Claw
> Flamethrower
> Iron Defense
> Amnesia
> Body Slam
>
> I only wanted Torkoal because he looked cool, but he makes an
> excellent tank due to White Smoke. I couldn't really think of an item
> to give him, so he got Quick Claw simply because he'll ALWAYS go last
> without it, and therefore has the greatest chance of needing it.

Dunno much about Torkoal, but this looks pretty solid.

> Walrein (BALLRUS)
> @Leftovers
> Ice Beam
> Surf
> Body Slam
> Hail
>
> I trained Torkoal and Ballrus at the same time in Sapphire, and
> they've been together since, which is why one's heavily defensive and
> the other's heavily offensive. Coli gave them the chance to fight
> side-by-side more often, which I loved. Anyway, this is a
> does-what-it-says-on-the-tin Pokémon. Hail can come in useful in
> one-on-one battles, especially when I don't want to trade out to take
> care of Shedinja.

I like the idea of Hail as an anti-Shedinja measure, but keep in mind
that it's also chipping away *your* health if anyone besides Ballrus
is out. Paul has Ice Beam, Surf, Body Slam, and Hail. (Well,
currently he has Snore, but that's a failed experiment that I'm going
to undo as soon as I manage to find another Heart Scale. I'm
beginning to hate Luvdisc.)

> Magneton
> @Focus Band
> Thunder
> Spark
> Thunderwave
> Screech
>
> I know, I know, two electric moves. They serve different purposes,
> though - Spark is a compromise between Thunder and Thunderwave, I
> find. Thunder's there to counter the use of Rain Dance mainly, and
> since I have a silly amount of money in Coli, I bought the TM just
> because it previously had Thundershock. Suggestions for improvement
> would be appreciated, naturally. Screech is for teamwork purposes,
> since I'll be trying my best not to leave out poor Mag as my final
> battler.

Consider putting Metal Sound over Spark or Screech. I think you have
enough Special moves on your team for it to be worthwhile. The main
advantage compared to Screech is that it benefits Magneton himself.
(Probably put it over Spark, though, especially if he's designed to
work with Mightyena.)

You might also consider Lock-On, since you currently have very little
defense against evade increasers. Then again, maybe not.

> I intended to buy it one of those berries that raise Sp.Attack "in a
> pinch", but I spent all my coupons on TMs and Ballrus's Leftovers, so
> I could only afford a Focus Band. It probably needs the Focus Band
> more, to be honest, despite not being wonderfully successful. Then
> again, I don't really know what they mean when they say "in a pinch".
I take it you've already ruled out just giving it a Magnet?

> Mightyena
> @Silk Scarf
> Crunch
> Hyper Beam
> Thief
> Howl
>
> Um, yeah. I know the Silk Scarf kinda makes Thief redundant, but my
> Mightyena's gimmick here is to boost the power of Hyper Beam as much
> as possible. Howl makes a lot of difference when it's such a
> high-powered attack. Mag's Screech helps too.
>
> I can always get Thief back with a Heart Scale, since Mightyena learns
> it through level-up, so I don't really mind replacing it temporarily,
> although I wouldn't want to use a rare TM over it.

Yeah, Thief's not doing much for you here. Unfortunately, off the top
of my head I can't think of anything more suitable.

> Swellow
> @
> Aerial Ace
> Toxic
> Fly
> Double Team
>
> What! Two Flying moves? Yes, two Flying moves. Aerial Ace for when
> he's suffering, to take advantage of Guts and go out with a banch, and
> Fly to complement Toxic and Double Team - raise evasion and escape
> every other turn while the posion does its thing.
>
> I've forgotten what its item is, but I may give it the Sharp Beak,
> depending on what I decide to do with my final teammate.

Nothing to add here. These aren't the droids you're looking for.
Move along, move along.

> Altaria (PRESERVER)
> @Sharp Beak
> Dragonbreath
> Fly
> False Swipe
> Sing
>
> Preserver's my False Swiping Swablu baby which came with Pokémon Box.
> Superuseful for capturing Pokémon, especially that last Togetic in
> Coli, but lacking somewhat in the serious battling department. It's
> nice to have a decent Dragon move on my team, seeing as only Steel
> types resist it, and Altaria's one of only a handful of dragons that
> aren't cheap, but...

Yeah, not a lovely battle Pokémon in general.

> I'm considering training up a Baton Passer to replace Altaria - either
> Gorebyss or Ninjask, probably. A Swords Dancer would be a good friend
> for almost everyone, especially Mightyena, and Ninjask's autoAgility
> ability would certainly go down well with Torkoal. Any other
> suggestions are welcome.

Ninjask is teh rockser. Mine has Swords Dance, Metal Claw, Dig, and
Baton Pass, and was very helpful on Mt. Battle (Colliseum mode). It's
probably not the best moveset, but it works for me.

Ah, it feels good to rate a team again, even if my advice is probably
horribly out of date.

-Andrusi &&
Sanity not included.
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 5:10:29 PM

"Andrusi" <asverner@unity.ncsu.edu> wrote in message
news:D 95427ae.0407121620.2c992c2@posting.google.com...
> > Walrein (BALLRUS)
> > @Leftovers
> > Ice Beam
> > Surf
> > Body Slam
> > Hail
>
> I like the idea of Hail as an anti-Shedinja measure, but keep in mind
> that it's also chipping away *your* health if anyone besides Ballrus
> is out.

Well, yeah, but it's not as much of a problem in Coli, since you only have
three Pokémon on your team, so it's easier to consider all your options.

That said, I do wish some non-cheap Pokémon got Drizzle or Drought. Like,
say, Seaking. Something nobody would use for any other reason. Why beef up
Pokémon that are already Death Machines with a super-useful and unique
ability?

Even a slightly different ability for lesser Pokémon - like, say, "triggers
a random weather effect" - would be a nice option to have. RS balance is so
broken. :-(

> Paul has Ice Beam, Surf, Body Slam, and Hail. (Well,
> currently he has Snore, but that's a failed experiment that I'm going
> to undo as soon as I manage to find another Heart Scale. I'm
> beginning to hate Luvdisc.)

Heh, I have a big store of Heart Scales since it took me a lifetime to find
a Horsea. I'm not joking. Stupid seahorse.

> > Magneton
> > @Focus Band
> > Thunder
> > Spark
> > Thunderwave
> > Screech
>
> Consider putting Metal Sound over Spark or Screech. I think you have
> enough Special moves on your team for it to be worthwhile.

Yes, very true. It has Screech to make my physical moves more viable, but
maybe I should stop trying to overbalance my team and just go for Special
sweeping.

> The main
> advantage compared to Screech is that it benefits Magneton himself.

Yes, but you see, Magneton's tricky to keep alive. Its Screech is the Mag's
response to Electrode Exploding its way out of a fight. Go down, but make
them as good as dead first.

I'll be honest and explain that lack of Earthquake, Counter, Seismic Toss or
any other versatile physical move is my main problem. I have Flying and
Normal moves, and that's about it. You see, therefore, why I feel the need
to have a Screecher, but a Swords Dancing Ninjask may serve the purpose
better.

> (Probably put it over Spark, though, especially if he's designed to
> work with Mightyena.)

I prefer Spark to Thunder. Spark is BOTH accurate AND paralyses more often.
Thunder, in contrast, is a bit stronger. Erm. Yeah, I only use it during
rain, and since more than half the Pokémon using Rain Dance are weak to
Electricity ANYWAY, that's the move I'm most likely to scrap.

> You might also consider Lock-On, since you currently have very little
> defense against evade increasers. Then again, maybe not.

Um. No, maybe not. Magneton's not going to make a wonderful pseudohazer,
brittle as it is. I just play the odds against evaders, in the hope that I
hit often enough to kill. It's so easy to get continues early on in Mt
Battle that I'll be surprised if I lose the match because of evasion.

> I take it you've already ruled out just giving it a Magnet?

Pretty much, yes. I'm not a major fan of type boosting items, especially
since Mag'll be using Spark most of the time - it'll STILL be weaker than
Thunderbolt, which basically undermines the point of having a Magnet in the
first place.

The berry allows for a surge of power when it most needs it, though, which
is why it tempts me.

> > Mightyena
> > @Silk Scarf
> > Crunch
> > Hyper Beam
> > Thief
> > Howl
>
> Yeah, Thief's not doing much for you here. Unfortunately, off the top
> of my head I can't think of anything more suitable.

I think I'll keep it, and just not bother using it. Mightyena's a one-trick
dog for me.

> > I'm considering training up a Baton Passer to replace Altaria - either
> > Gorebyss or Ninjask, probably. A Swords Dancer would be a good friend
> > for almost everyone, especially Mightyena, and Ninjask's autoAgility
> > ability would certainly go down well with Torkoal. Any other
> > suggestions are welcome.
>
> Ninjask is teh rockser. Mine has Swords Dance, Metal Claw, Dig, and
> Baton Pass, and was very helpful on Mt. Battle (Colliseum mode). It's
> probably not the best moveset, but it works for me.

It'd probably serve me quite well also. As I already mentioned, I lack
useful physical moves, and while Ninjask won't take down many things, it'll
probably come in useful quite a bit. I'd probably go for Double Team over
Metal Claw, though, since I want my Ninjask to sometimes manage to use more
than move.

> Ah, it feels good to rate a team again, even if my advice is probably
> horribly out of date.

Out of date or not, it's always useful to have someone's unbiased view of
things - while I try to cover for many eventualities, I won't be able to
remember everything.

--
Steffan
Anonymous

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Steffan Alun wrote:
> It'd probably serve me quite well also. As I already mentioned, I lack
> useful physical moves, and while Ninjask won't take down many things,
> it'll probably come in useful quite a bit. I'd probably go for Double
> Team over Metal Claw, though, since I want my Ninjask to sometimes manage
> to use more than move.

Mmmm. Ninjask... False Swipe, Double Team, Swords Dance & Baton Pass is
soooo nice, at least in R/S (no idea about Coli), when you're going for 'dex
completion, and probably even for real battles. :)

July 14, 2004 11:48:58 PM

"Joseph William Dixon" <aa343@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
news:p ine.GSO.3.95.iB1.0.1040714123115.15434B-100000@halifax.chebucto.ns.ca.
> Mmmm. Ninjask... False Swipe, Double Team, Swords Dance & Baton Pass
is
> soooo nice, at least in R/S (no idea about Coli), when you're going for
'dex
> completion, and probably even for real battles. :)

No, certainly not for real battles.

I've been experimenting, and I think any chances my Ninjask had of being
given Dig have been utterly destroyed. The thing dies so insanely quickly.
It pretty much has to have Double Team, but the odds of it getting more than
one Swords Dance under its belt before something gets lucky and hits it are
low.

I'm going to have to go with Silver Wind on it, really. It's a decent move
and Ninjask gets STAB on it. There's absolutely nothing else I can see
working on it. And if something with Aerial Ace shows its face, or any kind
of hazer, the thing's done for.

Sure, it's alright for RS trainer battles, but for Coli? And seriously, has
anyone seen any use for it versus humans? Like many Pokémon, its incredible
moveset potential has been severely hampered by its stupid stats.

--
Steffan
!