Just finished my build but need help with install.

VinceAK04

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Hey, i finally got my new comp pieced together.

E6300 CPU
GIGABYTE 965P-S3 MOBO
500W PSU
NVIDIA 7900 GS
2 X 1 GB CORSAIR
WD 300 GB HDD
CHEAP MEMOREX DVD-R... REPLACING IT WHEN MY NEW ONE COMES IN.

I'm posting this because I'm having trouble with the computer. I haven't installed anything into it yet, mainly because i don't think that my keyboard slot is working. I tried a keyboard that connects with usb into the mobo but it didn't work, then i tried a keyboard that plugs into the regular slot and still nothing. I'm not sure that is the problem but I can't get passed the part on the screen that says "PRESS ENTER TO BOOT FROM CD". If anyone can help i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Toughie!! I assume the keyboard worked in different system. Does the light come on the keyboard when you boot? All 3 lights blink when I boot but then they have to be pressed or setup in BIOS to stay lit. Might point to the 5V line, any lights work? Then I am thinking MB, you might have to RMA it. Strip the system down to minimum and check.

VinceAK04

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
OK, so I checked to see if the lights come on. There are three lights, 1, A and the down arrow. The 1 turns on but none of the others. Also just noticed about every 15 sec or so the computer makes a weird sound that i can't really explain... almost like the hard drive reading something (kinda like eerrrr beep sound??) not sure what is causing that. It also says hit F12 to go to boot menu and it worked but after getting there the keyboard still doesn't work. The up down keys don't work, the escape key doesn't work, nor does the enter key. :(

EDIT: Got the keyboard to work :) This is my first build and I just finished it today, I don't know where to go from here. I have the option of going to the BIOS setup, going to the boot menu, or an xpressrecovery2??(this is when i put in the cd that came with my mobo)... also, I don't know what to do if I were to choose any of the options. please help :)

robucf4

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Sounds like your at the step where you need to install an OS...? Just put an OS CD/DVD in your CD/DVD-ROM and boot the PC. As long as CD/DVD is a boot option in your bios it will read from it and start the installation of an OS.

akhilles

Splendid
Sounds like you used to use an oem like dell/hp/compaq pc that came with pre-installed windows.

Go to page 27 of the mobo manual (gigabyte), shut down pc, unplug power cord, wait a min, do #16 to clear cmos. If no spare jumpers, use the tip of a ballpen to short the pins for a few secs.

The white on black text screen that shows at power-on is called post. power on self test. If the pc posts, it's good.

Tab DEL key to enter bios at post, Load BIOS Optimized Defaults, Save & Exit Setup.

Tab DEL key to enter bios at post, set up boot order by referring to page 34 of the manual, Save & Exit Setup.

The order is:
First Boot Device = FLOPPY
Second Boot Device = CDROM
Third Boot Device = HARD DISK

Insert Windows install CD, press any key when asked to boot from cd

Oh & BTW, the bottom or right PS/2 plug is for keyboard. The top or left is for mouse. Don't mix 'em up. See page 17.