Sign in with
Your question

Want to review CPUs? Writers Wanted!

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 23, 2007 5:18:02 AM

FiringSquad.com is looking for a few good reviewers. We're holding a writing comptetition-if your work is good, you'll defininitely be considered for future review projects. And, if you manage to beat out the rest of the competition, you could get paid $1500 cash and earn a $10,000 writing contract to write for FiringSquad.

Oh, and the 4 finalists each get to keep and review an Intel Core 2 Extreme processor.

For more information: http://firingsquad.com/special/ec/
February 23, 2007 5:37:08 AM

I guess THGC should be honoured.
My thinking is that we do have some folks here who could write a good deal better than the crew over @ firing squad. ( definitely not me though)
February 23, 2007 8:29:09 AM

Friends, THGers, Countrymen!

Vote for the Captain's entry in Preliminary 2! Vote early! Vote often!

:lol: 
Related resources
February 23, 2007 9:17:27 AM

Quote:
Friends, THGers, Countrymen!

Vote for the Captain's entry in Preliminary 2! Vote early! Vote often!

:lol: 

Only if you give me the processor when you win. :wink:
February 23, 2007 9:26:29 AM

Quote:
Only if you give me the processor when you win. :wink:

I'll definitely give you A processor... (he says while rifling through the box of old Super Socket 7s...)

Actually I wouldn't ever want to skew the results of a contest. If I gotta win, I gotta win due to my submission, the fact that I am a ruggedly handsome virile piledriver stud who is God's gift to women and is never above bribing anyone to do absolutely anything no matter how immoral, illegal, unethical or fattening should have nothing to do with it... :twisted: :lol: 

BTW, props to the Firing Squad organizers and the contributors so far. There are some excellent blogs in Preliminary 2!!!
February 23, 2007 9:32:30 AM

Meh. Socket A, socket 754, or newer, thanks.

Incidentally, my good 'ol Thunderbird died this past week (technically the processor still lives-insanely old board finally crapped out...I blame VIA, since they made the chipset :D ) and I haven't decided what I'm going to replace it with yet, because I had just decided the day before that I was going to wait to upgrade until the April price drops so I could do quad core.

Also-OH NO, I used a meh. Ninja will certainly kill me now-probably in my sleep. Ah well.

And even more offtopic, but maybe not-so if a quantum computer stops working when you look at it, does it stop working if a blind man looks at it?

Think about it.
February 23, 2007 9:49:36 AM

I wish I could enter, but I'm not 18....

@ Threshold: Try a Asus Mobo, I got a SiS Chipset, not good for overclocking, but I have a custom BIOS, so I can now :p 
February 23, 2007 9:54:17 AM

Yeah, we're going offtopic here.

1) My board's dead.
2) My RAM may or may not be dead.
3) If I'm going to replace the board and the RAM, I may as well replace the processor, too.

And I haven't decided whether a cheapo setup to get me on my digital feet again is best, or whether I should just take the plunge and build an E4300 system now.

OTOT: All hail Schrodinger's RAM!
February 23, 2007 10:10:53 AM

Quote:
Also-OH NO, I used a meh. Ninja will certainly kill me now-probably in my sleep. Ah well.

And even more offtopic, but maybe not-so if a quantum computer stops working when you look at it, does it stop working if a blind man looks at it?

Think about it.

First of all, this was posted before in an earlier thread, so I can post it again...

Therefore, you owe me royalties and Ninja nothing. :lol: 

Then about the blind man looking at it... I'm gonna have to think about that one. Those are the kind of quantum experiments that should be done. Get a blind guy to look at it and see if the whole thing collapses down. It could answer more questions about reality than a thousand quantum computers.

And as for going back ontopic with a motherboard discussion, check the title of this thread first!!! :lol: 
February 23, 2007 10:34:03 AM

I never said I was back ontopic. Just more offtopic. And then there was my OTOT (offtopic offtopic) comment about my Schrodinger's RAM.

So how much do I owe you in royalties, then?

And my apologies for not knowing that, as I wasn't there.
February 23, 2007 10:43:43 AM

I'm trying to figure if I should do it... I don;t need the money, but...
February 23, 2007 10:56:53 AM

Quote:
I never said I was back ontopic. Just more offtopic. And then there was my OTOT (offtopic offtopic) comment about my Schrodinger's RAM.

When a 1GB stick of Schrodinger's RAM is DOA do you still get 512MB? :wink:

Apology accepted. Royalty schedule: 1st Meh: $500. Every Meh beyond that: $400 (volume discount Meh plan.) :twisted:

Quote:

Go for it Ninja! We should get as many THG guys on there as we can. But we should hurry as there's less than 5 days left! The current blogs are of very good quality, but we all know THG is the best!!! :D 
February 23, 2007 11:06:53 AM

Considering the RAM is PC133 SDRAM, it's not technically DOA in the general sense. It's more DOA in the sense of Dead or Alive. (I know, I said it, you can shoot me now...go ahead.)

And it's 2x128MB sticks in, obviously enough, single channel. I've still /got/ the full 256MB-I just can't USE it because the system won't boot. But since it's PROBABLY dead anyway, I'm not sure it matters.

I'm gonna have to owe you on that one, then.

I agree that you should do it, Ninja-or at least try for it.
February 23, 2007 11:17:32 AM

Quote:
Considering the RAM is PC133 SDRAM, it's not technically DOA in the general sense. It's more DOA in the sense of Dead or Alive. (I know, I said it, you can shoot me now...go ahead.)

And it's 2x128MB sticks in, obviously enough, single channel. I've still /got/ the full 256MB-I just can't USE it because the system won't boot. But since it's PROBABLY dead anyway, I'm not sure it matters.

I'm gonna have to owe you on that one, then.

I agree that you should do it, Ninja-or at least try for it.

Seems like you're lost in a cloud of probabilities! :lol: 

Your credit is good for the first $500. The rest you pay cash...

NINJA!!!!!
Come on, dude, start typing. Get the whole DaClan in on it too. :D 
February 23, 2007 11:22:18 AM

You know...

It's a shame you didn't enter as FUDMan.
February 23, 2007 11:31:12 AM

Quote:

When a 1GB stick of Schrodinger's RAM is DOA do you still get 512MB? :wink:

Apology accepted. Royalty schedule: 1st Meh: $500. Every Meh beyond that: $400 (volume discount Meh plan.) :twisted:

Quote:

Go for it Ninja! We should get as many THG guys on there as we can. But we should hurry as there's less than 5 days left! The current blogs are of very good quality, but we all know THG is the best!!! :D 

Just registered @ firingsquad. Im awaiting the confirmation mail as we speak....

May the best geek win :) 
February 23, 2007 2:05:54 PM

Quote:
You know...

Yeah, I should have but I thought I'd use my real name so that they would have no problem cutting the check! :lol: 

Quote:
Just registered @ firingsquad. Im awaiting the confirmation mail as we speak....

Way to go m0rk! That's the attitude! We need more THGers! What can we do to have a THG avalanche of mass geekery on firingsquad.com???
February 23, 2007 2:17:52 PM

Quote:
You know...

Yeah, I should have but I thought I'd use my real name so that they would have no problem cutting the check! :lol: 

Quote:

Way to go m0rk! That's the attitude! We need more THGers! What can we do to have a THG avalanche of mass geekery on firingsquad.com???Obviously.. JJ would fill the position quite well. He would have to resist the urge to get too technical, but i'm sure he could fight it. The thing is, and in no way do i begrudge Jack any fortune/fame,that i think there are other people who could "use" the money... Jack and Ninja as well, have no money issues from what can be gathered in their posts. I could probably use the money(for food/mortgage), as much as the starving students in here ,but english class was a booze/drug induced blur for me in high-school(thus my writing leaves much to be desired), and how i managed to get my grade 12 diploma is a testament to my dad's "convincing" parenting(read:strict) skills. :D 
February 23, 2007 2:28:51 PM

Y'know, Tanker, it's too bad that we have only five days left otherwise it would have been fun to submit the entries here as posts so that people could provide CONSTRUCTIVE criticism and maximize the chances that a THGer would win! :D 
February 23, 2007 3:04:44 PM

I think I may enter this - it'll be a chance to flex some lingual muscle outside of an English class 8)
February 23, 2007 3:34:08 PM

Quote:
I think I may enter this - it'll be a chance to flex some lingual muscle outside of an English class 8)

My most profound and heartfelt felicitations on your affirmation to proffer your preeminent erudition in this distinguished literary tournament.

Now let's git some of these other geekizoids off their a$$es!!! We need more entries!!! :lol: 
February 23, 2007 3:37:30 PM

Quote:

My most profound and heartfelt felicitations on your affirmation to proffer your preeminent erudition in this distinguished literary tournament.

Now let's git some of these other geekizoids off their a$$es!!! We need more entries!!! :lol: 

Hehe.

As a sidenote...is there anything that anyone would want to read about? Right now I'm thinking about examining the overall decline (or lack thereof) in volume of PC gaming with the rise of more hardcore console gamers. It's a pretty polarizing subject in the gaming world, a lot of people take it really seriously, so it would be tricky to write to please everyone. Well...anyone have any suggestions?
February 23, 2007 3:43:06 PM

PC gaming will die when the PC dies. Which will be.... never. ;-)

If anything, there's got to be MORE money in PC gaming then there was 10 years ago. Think about it.

In 1996 you were lucky to get 4 big PC titles in a year. Now-a-days we get about 10 big titles every year (all genres). MMORPG's are bigger than ever. And a video card that was once about $100 (Voodoo) now costs $600... and that's just the video card. Let's not forget about all the new pc gaming accessories there are available (mice, keyboards, headsets, ppu's, etc)

Despite the popularity of consoles, PC's gaming is much stronger than it was 10 years ago. As a whole gaming is more popular now than it was 10 years aog.
February 23, 2007 3:43:51 PM

Tempting and I could use the money(lose job end of next month).
Although I haven't written any reviews for anything since my friend and I ran a N64 site back when I was... in middle school? We actually ended up selling site/domain for a few hundred if I remember correctly. I'm sure someone more qualified will win though.
February 23, 2007 3:47:39 PM

it's about reviewing a games, not CPUs!
February 23, 2007 3:48:12 PM

Quote:
PC gaming will die when the PC dies. Which will be.... never. ;-)

If anything, there's got to be MORE money in PC gaming then there was 10 years ago. Think about it.

In 1996 you were lucky to get 4 big PC titles in a year. Now-a-days we get about 10 big titles every year (all genres). MMORPG's are bigger than ever. And a video card that was once about $100 (Voodoo) now costs $600... and that's just the video card. Let's not forget about all the new pc gaming accessories there are available (mice, keyboards, headsets, ppu's, etc)

Despite the popularity of consoles, PC's gaming is much stronger than it was 10 years ago. As a whole gaming is more popular now than it was 10 years aog.

OTOT

However look at that money it is going to OEM/hardware manufacturers. The average game(hit) might sell what 500k copies? This of course doesn't include blizzard releases or the CIV's/Microsoft games(hala/aoe).
Those are the megahits.
I wonder how many the average console sells.
I think more people on average console game now because it's easier to buy an xbox 360 or PS3 than it is to buy a sweet computer. Or to have the know how to build a sweet computer that will do the games justice. However I give hats off to game designers for pushing the limits of our hardware causing advances. I think there is a good sybiotic relationship between hardware and game developers.
February 23, 2007 3:50:26 PM

Quote:

In this case I might apply when I get home.
Firing Squad is blocked from work however.
I can download a game to test/review.
I cannot get a new processor to review, although you can always pool information from other sites/speculators.
February 23, 2007 3:56:13 PM

I should enter. Nothing to lose. But there are some amazing works there so maybe... nothing to win. English is not my natural language so I may create a wonderful report but full of grammar errors. Like this post! (??)
February 23, 2007 4:00:11 PM

Difficult.

The thermal paste shootout is...something unique. Further, it shows the sheer amount of TIME that was put into it.

The Killer NIC is, on the other hand, an interesting review if only because of its uselessness.

I can, however, vote against the Bad Axe review-it's just too mainstream.
February 23, 2007 4:05:22 PM

To Ninja, I'd go for anything but the thermal paste. There is only one paragraph of text and I'm sure that the voters would want to see your writing style.

To ajfink and gOJDO, you should check out the entries that are up on that site now. It is far from just reviews of games. It really covers the gamut.

To everyone else. Go for it, guys!
February 23, 2007 4:05:51 PM

I agree with Threshold.
The grease review I'd say has a slight ups on the NIC.
However the NIC shows more knowledge/analysis whereas the grease just shows; Look at scores lowest wins yay!
Although lots of time was involved in the grease.
February 23, 2007 4:31:18 PM

Edited for G rating...

Now testing on a totally clean, only house with internet on the block, (then again, there are only 6 houses here anyways....)internet connection.

Get ready for it, its the moment you've all been waiting for. Drum roll please... its the review of the Bigfoot Killer NIC....

Well for one, how does this card work, you may ask. Well unlike most modern network cards, like your onboard network on your motherboard, (your board does have at least an onboard right?)the Killer comes packing with its own dedicated processor. A 32 bit, 400MHz Freescale processor, to be exact.

Now with that bad boy under the hood, you should expect to see big gains on your performance and for your CPU's work load to be lighten right? Well... it does. But any performance gains are negligible. I mean, at least I couldn't tell.

For one, let it be emphasized that in modern video games any bottleneck lies in the video card. Not the CPU. Don't believe me? Play World of Warcraft on a 955D with a 7950 GX2 and play it again on a Core 2 Duo or a Xeon 3xxx series using onboard (bleh, that just disgusts me so much. The things I do for you guys...).

Now back to the NIC. In my hardcore tests, I saw a frame rate increase of about 3 to 11.5 percent when comparing to two identical machines (E6600 and a Xeon 3060, stock speeds, running DDR2 800 at 2GB each, both using 7950GX2's) first using Asus's onboard network controller, then using a D-Link DTX NIC. The Killer, only produced marginally better results.

Now what about the oh so mighty ping drops you are to expect from the $280 monster? This is where this card shines.

In addition to removing the burden (note: however small) of networking of the CPU, the card actually provides a more efficient, optimized networking stack than what is shipped with Windows XP. I saw a consistently lower ping rate then the exact same machine, without the Killer.
Now this sounds all well and good right? Right? Well, sorta. The ping drop was only 5ms lower than the non-Killer machine. No detectable difference between the two machines in the test.

Now with that super processor on that card you have ample opportunity for cheaters. You know, remove the separate machine needed for a lot of your cheating?
Something must be said about Bigfoot's "Ping Control", a feature that lets you increase your ping so that you are on a level playing field with non-Killer equipped players say in, the boondocks of the backwoods, of the hill country in the Boondocks. My question? What the heck for? I spent $300 on this thing so I could get the godlike advantage over this hillbilly, not to give it to him.

All that aside, this 400MHz processor has me drooling though. You can run CPU hogging apps on the card with the processor and the Linux OS on the card. Teamspeak anyone? Better yet, run your anti virus program on the card instead of your main processor.

The conclusion of all things is... spend your money else where. The only people that I can see benefiting from this would be people running older single core CPU's. And there is a limit to that. My old Pentium 2 wouldn't even support the NIC, so any chance of testing on that was reduced to nil. But even if you are running, say, a AMD 3800+ 939, wouldn't the money be better spent on a better component, like a 4000+ X2, or a ATI XT1900 XT or NVIDIA 7600GT, or better, faster RAM instead?

The Ninja gives it a 6.5 out of 10. Don't waste your time here.

Any comments?
February 23, 2007 4:35:40 PM

Other than being surprised that you gave it a 6.5 (I was thinking 5.5 to 6 but maybe I'm too harsh), looks good. And yeah, I'm still surprised by that. And no, I didn't see the review when you did it.
February 23, 2007 4:40:02 PM

Quote:

Actually, the final of the contest involves writing about CPUs (the Intel Core 2 Extreme processor), but the winner will most likely be the writer who can cover it from a gaming perspective.
February 23, 2007 4:56:09 PM

I encourage you to post it...I'm sure you will find out pretty quickly how your article stacks up against the competition thus far.
February 23, 2007 5:21:46 PM

Ten.
February 23, 2007 5:26:20 PM

Mucho, muchos, muchos gracias hombre. I'm indebted to you. If you ever need a Ninja's work..
February 23, 2007 5:30:25 PM

Quote:

Actually, the final of the contest involves writing about CPUs (the Intel Core 2 Extreme processor), but the winner will most likely be the writer who can cover it from a gaming perspective.

What do you have against AMD? :?
February 23, 2007 5:36:56 PM

Yeah, there's this one guy I need killed...

:D 

Well, if I could get an Athlon XP system up and running for say $50-$75, then I wouldn't have to worry about my three current upgrade options-s754 Sempron @$240ish (and that's with an 80% efficient PSU to boot), 3800 X2 @$400ish, or C2D @$600ish.

Barring that, opinions on the three illustrated options are welcome.

It just pisses me off that the day after I decided I was waiting until the April price drop on the Q6600 that my system died.

It's also stupid that people (who should be in padded rooms for God's sake) want to sell me Athlon XP systems for $300+.

It's not really that money's -that- much of an issue per se, but it's just that I'm all about performance/price and TCO. Oh, and that I probably can't afford a Q6600 system at the moment.

Apologies for going severely offtopic.

Again.
February 23, 2007 5:39:35 PM

We have nothing against AMD but Intel is sponsoring the contest :) 
February 23, 2007 5:50:55 PM

Quote:
We have nothing against AMD but Intel is sponsoring the contest :) 

Ok, that's good. :) 

....but now I can't help but wonder if Intel will also "adjust" the results of the findings. :wink: :lol: 
February 23, 2007 5:57:43 PM

I can assure you that Intel will do no such thing. They have no direct contact with the contestants.
February 23, 2007 6:03:39 PM

Fair enough. :) 
February 23, 2007 6:46:33 PM

Quote:
Vote or
be flamed by gOJDO.
February 23, 2007 7:39:15 PM

I need more votes... more votes!! Support your local Ninja 203.
February 23, 2007 8:03:31 PM

Quote:
I need more votes... more votes!! Support your local Ninja 203.

Cmon THGers! Support your fellow geeks!
February 23, 2007 8:14:42 PM

Hey, I take offense to that. I'm a NERD. Not a geek. :wink:
February 24, 2007 5:00:15 PM

Come on guys, I bugged Ninja until he entered the contest and then you guys give him an 8 point lead over the Captain? What do I have to do to get your votes (and don't answer write a good entry... :evil:  )

What do you want?

Weekend with my STD-ridden girlfriend?

My entire 600GB pr0n collection?

What???

Vote for the Captain!

(Actually vote for Ninja too and anyone else who strikes your fancy!) :lol: 
!