LG 5th Gen update...

I phoned LG customer support to ask about the availability
of their new 5th generation atsc products. The lady said
nothing would be available before Q1 2005. Not what I wanted
to hear. But what can you do... I really thought they
would have had at least something for the Christmas rush.
3 answers Last reply
More about update

    In article <9crnh0la05u0l4m658gtae9umi933o4viv@4ax.com>, George
    Thorogood <thorogood@mailinator.com> wrote:

    > I phoned LG customer support to ask about the availability
    > of their new 5th generation atsc products. The lady said
    > nothing would be available before Q1 2005. Not what I wanted
    > to hear. But what can you do... I really thought they
    > would have had at least something for the Christmas rush.

    At least you got further than I did when I phoned them on Monday.
    Customer support had no clue about the 5th gen receiver and very
    minimal info on the 4200A. She seemed to think that the 4200's that
    were currently being sold here were imports because they generally
    release them over there first. My suspicion is that the 4200A will be
    the Christmas item this year and like you said, the 5th gen will be
    sometime in Q1 next year. Unless a cheaper version is released for the
    USDTV/Walmart deal for the Christmas season. My reception is good now
    so I just might get the 4200A when available.

    --
    Deja Moo: I've seen this bullshit before.

    My address has been anti-spammed.
    Please reply to: scasse@invalid.net replacing invalid with sonic.

    "Otto Pylot" <otto@bogus.address.invalid> wrote in message
    > In article <9crnh0la05u0l4m658gtae9umi933o4viv@4ax.com>, George
    > Thorogood <thorogood@mailinator.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I phoned LG customer support to ask about the availability
    >> of their new 5th generation atsc products. The lady said
    >> nothing would be available before Q1 2005. Not what I wanted
    >> to hear. But what can you do... I really thought they
    >> would have had at least something for the Christmas rush.
    >
    > At least you got further than I did when I phoned them on Monday.
    > Customer support had no clue about the 5th gen receiver and very
    > minimal info on the 4200A. She seemed to think that the 4200's that
    > were currently being sold here were imports because they generally
    > release them over there first. My suspicion is that the 4200A will be
    > the Christmas item this year and like you said, the 5th gen will be
    > sometime in Q1 next year. Unless a cheaper version is released for the
    > USDTV/Walmart deal for the Christmas season. My reception is good now
    > so I just might get the 4200A when available.
    >
    > --
    > Deja Moo: I've seen this bullshit before.
    >
    > My address has been anti-spammed.
    > Please reply to: scasse@invalid.net replacing invalid with sonic.

    It typically takes about 18 to 24 months from final development to shipment
    of a retail product. It takes time to patent and license technology and then
    plan to construct new technology. Lab samples and volume production are very
    different things. With a great deal of luck, and enough resources that can
    be compressed to about 10 to 12 months.

    Richard.

    On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 14:35:39 -0400, "Richard" <rfeirste at nycap.rr.com> wrote:

    I agree it takes a while. But the press release on June 8th
    said they would be available by end of summer... So I am
    guessing they are having some kind of problems.

    http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/9980

    >"Otto Pylot" <otto@bogus.address.invalid> wrote in message
    >> In article <9crnh0la05u0l4m658gtae9umi933o4viv@4ax.com>, George
    >> Thorogood <thorogood@mailinator.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I phoned LG customer support to ask about the availability
    >>> of their new 5th generation atsc products. The lady said
    >>> nothing would be available before Q1 2005. Not what I wanted
    >>> to hear. But what can you do... I really thought they
    >>> would have had at least something for the Christmas rush.
    >>
    >> At least you got further than I did when I phoned them on Monday.
    >> Customer support had no clue about the 5th gen receiver and very
    >> minimal info on the 4200A. She seemed to think that the 4200's that
    >> were currently being sold here were imports because they generally
    >> release them over there first. My suspicion is that the 4200A will be
    >> the Christmas item this year and like you said, the 5th gen will be
    >> sometime in Q1 next year. Unless a cheaper version is released for the
    >> USDTV/Walmart deal for the Christmas season. My reception is good now
    >> so I just might get the 4200A when available.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Deja Moo: I've seen this bullshit before.
    >>
    >> My address has been anti-spammed.
    >> Please reply to: scasse@invalid.net replacing invalid with sonic.
    >
    >It typically takes about 18 to 24 months from final development to shipment
    >of a retail product. It takes time to patent and license technology and then
    >plan to construct new technology. Lab samples and volume production are very
    >different things. With a great deal of luck, and enough resources that can
    >be compressed to about 10 to 12 months.
    >
    >Richard.

HDTV LG Support Home Theatre