Is this possible?

pkhamidar2com

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Hey, right now i dont have the money to buy an SSD. However im hoping in the future, im going to be able to afford an SSD.

So, right now, im going to be buying a HDD. And installing windows and a crap load of other programs on that.

Now my question is, how do i move just windows, nothing else, keep all the programs except a few, move windows and some programs to the ssd. I know its a while long away but just wondering? How do you move to a new hdd? Without the clean install etc...

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
You could clone the drive using Acronis, Norton ghost, or Clonezilla if you're a freeware kinds guy. This makes a sector by sector image of the original drive.

My recommendation would be to just do a fresh install you will get better overall performance on a fresh drive. Thats just my 2 cents though.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Win7 formats the SSD correctly during installation. The restore function of various backup programs may or may not do this, causing the SSD to operate at 50% speed. Acronis does not work well with SSDs. Ghost may work if you follow specific instructions during the restore process. You can google for more info.