Can't log in to W2KPro form XP Pro and vise versa

Charles

I know this is probably a simple fix, but I am baffled, it worked between
W2KPro and XP Home.

It might be the software f/w(s) or a securtiy setting on either machine.

I would to be able to transfer files from either machine. The two machines
"see" each other but I cant log in to them from the other.

the XP box has the only burner and I would like to be able to image the W2K
box short of removing the DVD burner form the XP box. (The W2K box has barely
enoung RAM to get out of its own way.)

Sugestions, help, is appreciated.

Thanks--

The behavoir for XP depends on whether or not you have simple file sharing
enabled or not. If it is enabled then anyone should be able to access shares
on the XP Pro computer though I believe the guest account would need to be
enabled. If simple file sharing and the guest account aresabled then you
would need to have a user account/password on the XP computer that would
match the user account/password for the user logged onto the Windows 2000
computer and the same would be true of the Windows 2000 computer. For
network access with simple file sharing disabled the XP computer would
require that the user account does not use a blank password.

Software/host firewalls can certainly block access to file shares and the
easiest way to determine that is to temporaily disable them assuming the
computer has other protection fronm the internet such as a firewall or
NAT/PAT router device. Each computer should also be able to ping the other
computer by name and IPaddress. Software/host firewalls can be configured
with exceptions to allow traffic from "trusted" hosts that you define in the
firewall configuration. It sometimes helps to use UNC to connect to the
other computer by entering \\computername\sharename or
\\IP-address\sharename of the target computer in the run box of the computer
you are trying to connect from. The command ipconfig /all will show IP
address and other info of a Windows 2000/XP computer. --- Steve